Iowa dual

Started by vsmf2010, January 17, 2023, 01:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on January 23, 2023, 04:25:04 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 22, 2023, 09:49:13 PMWhat a great dual!  Frustrating looking back at what could have been with a few breaks.  Sparks said UW has not beaten Iowa in Madison since 1945.  Wow.

As great as the Badgers stories were it is unbelievably amazing at the level Spencer Lee is at.

I'm hearing a lot of people talk about how weak 125 is...and I'm pretty sure it's just Spencer Lee making it look weak.

Lets see if Patrick Glory can do his best Larry Owings. He's got his 8 matches in at 125. He's working his way down.
The ONLY flaw Lee's shown has been maybe a little bit of an issue with his gas tank(in matches his still dominating) due to the inability to train from the ACLs, the limited mat time.

If Glory can just wrestle a similar match to last years finals, but avoid giving up that early TD and then that sloppy  reversal he gave up...just saying. He's so tough on top(I thought he could have gotten NF last year to tie it up).

Other than that, the only other real question about Spencer Lee is can anyone else go 7 minutes with him next and can he knock off Gilman shortly after the NCAAs.

Your last quote made me laugh. I was just talking to son last night about 57 kg world team trials. Lee winning the NCAA's and the Hodge seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point so I have moved on to FS with him. I think I give the edge to Gillman but it is not a huge edge.

bigoil

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on January 23, 2023, 09:06:14 AMDow's pin may have been the 1st time since Andy Rein stuck King Mueller with a headlock that a Badger has pinned a ranked Hawk in Madison. It was great that Tyler wouldn't let him weasle out of that lock-up.

By the way, it wasn't a true suplay (suplex). It was a double front arm-bar to a lace-leg throw  ;D
True but the way he landed on his head, Suplex!

crossface21

As dominant as Lee has beeen, can he be this dominant at NCAA's? He's only wrestling 1 match every few days right now. Lets see how he does at Big Tens when he wrestles multiple matches over the course of a couple days. Will he win NCAA's, I think absolutely he does. But it may not be with as much domination with how much he'll need to wrestle in a couple of days with his knees.

TomM

Quote from: bigoil on January 23, 2023, 10:29:04 AM
Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on January 23, 2023, 09:06:14 AMBy the way, it wasn't a true suplay (suplex). It was a double front arm-bar to a lace-leg throw  ;D

I feel very strongly both ways. I never argue. (Billy Martin)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

Regarding Lee's 'knees'.
I can only say this; I've known a number of athletes who have an amazing pain threshold and drive that will survive anything. This guy, may be one of 'those guys'.

TomM

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: bigoil on January 23, 2023, 10:29:04 AM
Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on January 23, 2023, 09:06:14 AMDow's pin may have been the 1st time since Andy Rein stuck King Mueller with a headlock that a Badger has pinned a ranked Hawk in Madison. It was great that Tyler wouldn't let him weasle out of that lock-up.

By the way, it wasn't a true suplay (suplex). It was a double front arm-bar to a lace-leg throw  ;D

Best throw since the Russian threw Chris Taylor? ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n79wBw_LJ9Y
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

SP

https://youtu.be/knvQWKyDXv0

Jared Frayer from beat the streets in New York.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

dad 2 5

Is EB going to right the ship and be ok? Serious question, I honestly don't have a clue on what is going on. Obviously the Lee loss is no big deal but MI loss has me confused.
Some great wins by Badgers! Now can they carry that mo into Northwestern and pull out a victory?

vsmf2010

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 23, 2023, 06:03:17 PMIs EB going to right the ship and be ok? Serious question, I honestly don't have a clue on what is going on. Obviously the Lee loss is no big deal but MI loss has me confused.
Some great wins by Badgers! Now can they carry that mo into Northwestern and pull out a victory?

Fair question, I think he is going to be fine and we will know pretty quickly. He has DeAugustino, Cronin and Mckee in the next 2 weekends and can probably still wrestle into a 2 or 3 seed for the Big Tens depending on how everything shakes out.

Ramos was a bummer and a match he certainly could have won and he looked sick against Medley. Clearly not himself. Still has one of the best wins of the season with the win over Courtney.

TomM

DITV Sports: Hawkeye wrestling narrowly escaped Badger claws in Madison - YouTube

https://youtu.be/BHdmJL9-XXA

Vir Fortis

Quote from: crossface21 on January 23, 2023, 11:14:31 AMAs dominant as Lee has beeen, can he be this dominant at NCAA's? He's only wrestling 1 match every few days right now. Lets see how he does at Big Tens when he wrestles multiple matches over the course of a couple days. Will he win NCAA's, I think absolutely he does. But it may not be with as much domination with how much he'll need to wrestle in a couple of days with his knees.

Well, assuming Glory is on the other side of the bracket, I'd be a little surprised if he's NOT this dominant.

He's always wrestled better at the NCAAs than during the regular season.

Freshmen year;
2; Tech's(18-0 both times)
2 pins(avenging a B1G loss to Tomasello the 2 seed and #7 seed)
6-1 dominant win vs Suriano in the finals

Soph-Not QUITE as dominant
18-0 Tech
10-1 major
Pin over 8 seed
11-4 over 3 seed(again, avenging an earlier loss vs Piccinnini the 3 seed)
5-0 win over 4 seed

JR Year
2 Tech(21-3, 16-1)
3 Major(15-5, 10-2, 11-0)
7-0 Finals

Guys started to wrestle him like they wrestled Stevenson...just trying to keep it close...and I don't think that'll matter this year.
125 isn't as top heavy as it's been in the past.

I DO think there's a path to beating him and Glory is the only guy I can see doing it...and it'd have to be similar to how DeSanto beat him when he was going for his 4th straight title in PA and was undefeated(and teched him the year before).

DeSanto just pushed the pace all match. Lee did get a pretty controversial TD and DeSanto was lucky to not get turned.
Then DeSanto took feet, just kept hand-fighting and taking ground.
3rd period Lee was gassed.

DeSanto took him down I think 4 or 5 times. At one point, DeSanto cut him, completely broke free, Lee was coming up and he drilled him with another shot and they said Lee hadn't gotten the escape, but he was gassed.

That's the only thing that could stop him.

Glory is a MONSTER of a '25(which is why he's wrestling at 133 and just has his 8 in at 125). He's a beast on top and smart and solid on the bottom. That's how he turned the tables on Arajau last year.

So if he can get through the 1st without getting scored on, I could see him really wearing Lee down. Ride him on top...if he can get the boots in, maybe get a stalling as Lee doesn't open up much on the bottom in those situations and Glory looks like he's working for the turn. And I'd expect Glory to be about 150 for that finals match. So a stalling and a late TD.

I'm not putting any money on it, but I'm sure that's the game plan(that's gotta be the game plan for anyone wrestling Lee).

But I would expect Lee to make short work of every other 125 in the bracket and probably end up beating Glory ~7-2 or so.

We'll see if Lowden Swain can complete his Vision Quest though! It's gonna be a lot of fun!