Iowa dual

Started by vsmf2010, January 17, 2023, 01:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Crazy environment today. Never seen anything like it for Badger wrestling. Going to have to move to the Kohl Center next time Iowa is in town. Not enough concessions, bathrooms or parking for 5K fans.

wrestlemania

Iowa's Twitter account: no Brands at 174 and no Warner at 197 today.

Interesting they didn't think they needed them, especially at 197 after Dow's pin. Dang near lost and even still after 10 matches it WAS A TIE! Best showing against Iowa in a long time.

I've been critical of the program but you've got to praise what happened today. New home attendance record and they got to see what a competitive, fiercely fought Division I college dual meet can be like and how exciting it can be. Dow has just been awesome this week. Talk about stepping up. That's what fans wanted to see from UW wrestlers beyond just the top guys. If they had this kind of energy they would have won Midlands and beat Illinois. In my book Dow's set at 184.

Is there something wrong with Barnett i.e. injury or illness? Appreciate him trying to gut his way through it but he may need some time off

npope

Will nobody share a final score????
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrestlemania

18-18. Hawkeyes win on criteria 19-18.

Hungus

awesome atmosphere today... I wonder what they were thinking scheduling the next two home duals the same days as WIAA regionals and sectionals.
You're killing me Smalls!!!

crossface21

Quote from: heavy9278 on January 22, 2023, 06:35:23 PMawesome atmosphere today... I wonder what they were thinking scheduling the next two home duals the same days as WIAA regionals and sectionals.

yeah, agreed. That's gonna drop their attendance quite a bit for those duals.

imwi

Quote from: wrestlemania on January 22, 2023, 05:41:10 PMIowa's Twitter account: no Brands at 174 and no Warner at 197 today.

Interesting they didn't think they needed them, especially at 197 after Dow's pin. Dang near lost and even still after 10 matches it WAS A TIE! Best showing against Iowa in a long time.

I've been critical of the program but you've got to praise what happened today. New home attendance record and they got to see what a competitive, fiercely fought Division I college dual meet can be like and how exciting it can be. Dow has just been awesome this week. Talk about stepping up. That's what fans wanted to see from UW wrestlers beyond just the top guys. If they had this kind of energy they would have won Midlands and beat Illinois. In my book Dow's set at 184.

Is there something wrong with Barnett i.e. injury or illness? Appreciate him trying to gut his way through it but he may need some time off

Rumor has it there may be been some weight issues with Iowa's starters

imwi

Quote from: crossface21 on January 22, 2023, 07:02:04 PM
Quote from: heavy9278 on January 22, 2023, 06:35:23 PMawesome atmosphere today... I wonder what they were thinking scheduling the next two home duals the same days as WIAA regionals and sectionals.

yeah, agreed. That's gonna drop their attendance quite a bit for those duals.

I may be wrong but I don't think the Badgers have much to do with the schedule, more of the Big Ten.  But I guess not for UNI.  I also think it's been like that the last few years

wrestlemania

Here's how the dual meet played out:

Jan. 22, 2023 - #13 Wisconsin 18, #2 Iowa 19 (Madison, Wis.) | WIS - IOWA
125: #1 Spencer Lee (IOWA) over #6 Eric Barnett (WIS) (Fall 4:38) | 0-6
133: Brody Teske (IOWA) over #28 Taylor Lamont (WIS) (Dec 4-0)  | 0-9
141: #2 Real Woods (IOWA) over #26 Joseph Zargo (WIS) (Dec 9-2) | 0-12
149: #2 Austin Gomez (WIS) over #7 Max Murin (IOWA) (Dec 5-3) | 3-12
157: #21 Cobe Siebrecht (IOWA) over #18 Garrett Model (WIS) (Dec 3-2) | 3-15
165: #6 Dean Hamiti (WIS) over #10 Patrick Kennedy (IOWA) (Dec 4-3) | 6-15
174: Josh Otto (WIS) over Drake Rhodes (IOWA) (Dec 6-5) | 9-15
184: Tyler Dow (WIS) over #8 Abe Assad (IOWA) (Fall 1:24) | 15-15
197: #13 Braxton Amos (WIS) over Kolby Franklin (IOWA) (Dec 4-0) | 18-15
285: #3 Tony Cassioppi (IOWA) over #11 Trent Hillger (WIS) (Dec 4-1) | 18-18
Iowa wins tie break criteria 1.0 | 18-19

Harris

That was the most exciting Wisconsin wrestling dual I can remember.  That was fun!  When Dow got the pin the place just exploded. 

head57

Quote from: Harris on January 22, 2023, 09:16:48 PMThat was the most exciting Wisconsin wrestling dual I can remember.  That was fun!  When Dow got the pin the place just exploded. 

I had some family over, and the living room got very rowdy when Dow launched!!! Fun weekend of Badgers wrestling.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

DocWrestling

What a great dual!  Frustrating looking back at what could have been with a few breaks.  Sparks said UW has not beaten Iowa in Madison since 1945.  Wow.

As great as the Badgers stories were it is unbelievably amazing at the level Spencer Lee is at.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 22, 2023, 09:49:13 PMWhat a great dual!  Frustrating looking back at what could have been with a few breaks.  Sparks said UW has not beaten Iowa in Madison since 1945.  Wow.

As great as the Badgers stories were it is unbelievably amazing at the level Spencer Lee is at.

I'm hearing a lot of people talk about how weak 125 is...and I'm pretty sure it's just Spencer Lee making it look weak.

Lets see if Patrick Glory can do his best Larry Owings. He's got his 8 matches in at 125. He's working his way down.
The ONLY flaw Lee's shown has been maybe a little bit of an issue with his gas tank(in matches his still dominating) due to the inability to train from the ACLs, the limited mat time.

If Glory can just wrestle a similar match to last years finals, but avoid giving up that early TD and then that sloppy  reversal he gave up...just saying. He's so tough on top(I thought he could have gotten NF last year to tie it up).

Other than that, the only other real question about Spencer Lee is can anyone else go 7 minutes with him next and can he knock off Gilman shortly after the NCAAs.

onwisconsin

Definitely applaud the effort and the energy level.  Building the energy level in the Fieldhouse is so important.  Hopefully the average will soon be 5,000 or more.  I do believe the program is headed in the right direction.

Wish I could have been there.  I was out of state and watching on my phone as others were watching football.  They were very confused why I was so loud during Dow's match.  Unfortunately I couldn't convert anyone.

Now hope we can see some young men make a jump over then next 8 weeks.

Have a great week everyone.

OneEyedFatMan

Dow's pin may have been the 1st time since Andy Rein stuck King Mueller with a headlock that a Badger has pinned a ranked Hawk in Madison. It was great that Tyler wouldn't let him weasle out of that lock-up.

By the way, it wasn't a true suplay (suplex). It was a double front arm-bar to a lace-leg throw  ;D
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"