Mitchell Mesenbrink

Started by vsmf2010, January 11, 2023, 09:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Mitchell Mesenbrink has left Cal Baptist and will be entering the transfer portal. Any school in the country would love to have him in their program!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 11, 2023, 09:12:37 AMMitchell Mesenbrink has left Cal Baptist and will be entering the transfer portal. Any school in the country would love to have him in their program!

Yeah, I've heard the kid works like a madman, he's driven. He's maybe a BIT too competitive in the room(there are worst things).

I think he'll do very well at Mizzou or...whenever outside of Madison he ends up. Not to say he wouldn't be an outstanding fit at UW. He's be just about idea. A couple years at 57, then 65 when Hamiti goes up to 74...assuming that happens.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up about an AWA kid heading to Madison. Stil, gonna be a fun follow wrestling in front of O'Toole.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on January 13, 2023, 07:36:23 AM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 11, 2023, 09:12:37 AMMitchell Mesenbrink has left Cal Baptist and will be entering the transfer portal. Any school in the country would love to have him in their program!

Yeah, I've heard the kid works like a madman, he's driven. He's maybe a BIT too competitive in the room(there are worst things).

I think he'll do very well at Mizzou or...whenever outside of Madison he ends up. Not to say he wouldn't be an outstanding fit at UW. He's be just about idea. A couple years at 57, then 65 when Hamiti goes up to 74...assuming that happens.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up about an AWA kid heading to Madison. Stil, gonna be a fun follow wrestling in front of O'Toole.

I think the chances of him coming to Madison are pretty close to zero. He is really close to Ben, his dad left Arrowhead to be the original coach at AWA etc...

I watched the interview on the Bader show and it is clear that his goals are definitely more aligned with winning world medals in Freestyle. Also mentioned how important improving his technique would be to his college experience. Certainly Missouri is the natural thought because of the connection but he did not choose to go there to be begin with which is interesting. Certainly Penn St with the international success of the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club seems like a natural fit or possibly ASU with their connections to Mark Perry and the Sunkist Kids.

Neat kid and I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up. I do not see him as a 65 or 86kg guy so he could be battling it out with O'Toole for a spot on the 2028 Olympic team at 74kg. I sure wish they would contest all 10 world weight classes at the Olympics. We leave a lot of medalist at home every 4 years. 

Vir Fortis

Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 13, 2023, 10:33:21 AM

I think he'll do very well at Mizzou or...whenever outside of Madison he ends up. Not to say he wouldn't be an outstanding fit at UW. He's be just about ideal. A couple years at 57, then 65 when Hamiti goes up to 74...assuming that happens.

I think the chances of him coming to Madison are pretty close to zero. He is really close to Ben, his dad left Arrowhead to be the original coach at AWA etc...

I watched the interview on the Bader show and it is clear that his goals are definitely more aligned with winning world medals in Freestyle. Also mentioned how important improving his technique would be to his college experience. Certainly Missouri is the natural thought because of the connection but he did not choose to go there to be begin with which is interesting. Certainly Penn St with the international success of the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club seems like a natural fit or possibly ASU with their connections to Mark Perry and the Sunkist Kids.

Neat kid and I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up. I do not see him as a 65 or 86kg guy so he could be battling it out with O'Toole for a spot on the 2028 Olympic team at 74kg. I sure wish they would contest all 10 world weight classes at the Olympics. We leave a lot of medalist at home every 4 years. 

Right...that's why I was saying outside of Madison and not getting my hopes up about AWA going to Madison.

Not sure PSU is a viable option. They've already have an absolute log jam from '57 on up.

Haines-who I think could win it this year(he's my pick). Sealey is coming in, Srarocci and Brooks have 3 and 2 more years left(2 and 1 by the time next year rolls around).
But they have a Freshmen starting at '49 and '65 with Haines in at '57. Barr, Kasak, Ryder and, again, Sealey, the #1 P4P recruit for '24(and has won a World Freestyle Title) who looks like a '65/'74.

Apparently some of the rationale behind bringing Haines out of RS was that very logjam.

Not to say I'd be surprised if Messenbrink outperformed some of those guys, just that it doesn't seem like a particularly good fit. You'll likely have potential AAs who are on the bench. They have an embarrassment of riches.

Lots of good programs out there though. Maybe Okie State? He could both be a good fit there and they've got some people there who know about winning World Titles.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on January 14, 2023, 09:39:44 PM

I think he'll do very well at Mizzou or...whenever outside of Madison he ends up. Not to say he wouldn't be an outstanding fit at UW. He's be just about ideal. A couple years at 57, then 65 when Hamiti goes up to 74...assuming that happens.

Right...that's why I was saying outside of Madison and not getting my hopes up about AWA going to Madison.

Not sure PSU is a viable option. They've already have an absolute log jam from '57 on up.

Haines-who I think could win it this year(he's my pick). Sealey is coming in, Srarocci and Brooks have 3 and 2 more years left(2 and 1 by the time next year rolls around).
But they have a Freshmen starting at '49 and '65 with Haines in at '57. Barr, Kasak, Ryder and, again, Sealey, the #1 P4P recruit for '24(and has won a World Freestyle Title) who looks like a '65/'74.

Apparently some of the rationale behind bringing Haines out of RS was that very logjam.

Not to say I'd be surprised if Messenbrink outperformed some of those guys, just that it doesn't seem like a particularly good fit. You'll likely have potential AAs who are on the bench. They have an embarrassment of riches.

Lots of good programs out there though. Maybe Okie State? He could both be a good fit there and they've got some people there who know about winning World Titles.

I thought about Ok St. Pretty solid FS coach there.  ;D PSU certainly has an embarrassment of riches pretty much everywhere other than the mysterious 125 problem. That being said I would not be surprised at all if MM could beat out Facundo at 165.

MM did beat Haines last summer for the world team spot but I am with you on Haines. That dude is for real and I think he is the favorite at 157 now that Quincy is up. He reminded me and my son right away of a freshman David Taylor or Jason Nolf. He looks awfully big however. I doubt he is a 4 year 157.

My understanding is that MM is a very good student as well. If the quality of the institution figures in to the equation I could see Stanford, Northwestern or Michigan. If memory serves me Ivy League schools do not accept transfers so that would take out some of the top rate schools.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 14, 2023, 10:46:38 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on January 14, 2023, 09:39:44 PM

I thought about Ok St. Pretty solid FS coach there.  ;D PSU certainly has an embarrassment of riches pretty much everywhere other than the mysterious 125 problem. That being said I would not be surprised at all if MM could beat out Facundo at 165.

MM did beat Haines last summer for the world team spot but I am with you on Haines. That dude is for real and I think he is the favorite at 157 now that Quincy is up. He reminded me and my son right away of a freshman David Taylor or Jason Nolf. He looks awfully big however. I doubt he is a 4 year 157.

My understanding is that MM is a very good student as well. If the quality of the institution figures in to the equation I could see Stanford, Northwestern or Michigan. If memory serves me Ivy League schools do not accept transfers so that would take out some of the top rate schools.

He may be able to beat Facundo, but Facundo may not be the starter. Haines has just been improving at another level from those guys. Facundo is a blue chipper, but I could definitely see that. But then you have Sealey coming in the following year and Cael said Haines isn't long for '57. He's just too big for it. The PSU crowd seems to think it's just too much of a cut and he'll be a '65(He was at 74KG before cutting down to 70KG where he had Mesenbrink waiting for him in the best of 3).

Again, my comments are NOT about Mesenbrink. I've seen him wrestle...I've heard about how competitive he is...I won't be surprised to see him win a couple National Titles and be the next Alex Dieringer caliber Wrestler. It is NOT a reflection on him, I'm just thinking if you're PSU and you've got studs at EVERY weight from 49-84...AND you've got incoming studs at every weight is Mesenbrink going to be a priority?

They have 5-6 legit blue chip recruits who could Wrestle '65-'74 in the next few years. Messenbrink could go there, lose to Haines(hypothetically) have to go up or down, and then see Sealy or Starocci. You could have the two best Wrestlers in the Country in the same weight(like you might have had at 197 if Beard had decided to stay at PSU, or with Nevills/Cassar(who was a backup at 197 until he moved up).

That's not even counting Mason Gibson who's a '52(or maybe Erik Gibson is the bigger brother). And then the 3 Bassett brothers, all of whom were supposed to go to Cornell.

Man, sorry to derail this thread, but once you start looking at Penn State and just the talent they've got coming in, it's almost kinda a joke. Iowa, when they were dominant, they would get some blue chippers, but they'd also get some guys coming out of nowhere. PSU could probably give the team title a run with a team of backups!

Anyway...look forward to seeing with Messenbrink ends up. My guess would be Mizzou, but he'd make any school in the Country better.