Great day to be a Badger!

Started by crossface21, December 21, 2022, 10:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 22, 2022, 09:46:57 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on December 22, 2022, 09:24:28 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on December 21, 2022, 07:55:55 PMNot sure this qualifies as "great" news given where the kid is ranked, but ok if they still have money to land three blue chippers in the 2024 class, which Bono needs to try to do given this is probably Bono's best opportunity to make a major recruiting splash.  Bono needs to close some top 10ish recruits in the 2024 class like Davino, Hopke, Ferrari and Mirasola and these are guys he'd likely have to offer full or near full rides to land.
LOL a top 30 recruit in the class isn't great??? Willie said multiple high level programs were trying to get him. 

He's not a top 50 Flo ranked guy and not top tier like Davino, Hopke, Ferrari, Mirasola etc.  While his record is good and he won a Cal state title as a soph, I am concerned that he hasn't faced and beat much nationally ranked competition. Badgers only have so much scholly money to hand out and I worry they are not aiming high enough.  If he is a walk on or light scholly guy, I'd be thrilled, but I suspect Bono gave him plenty of scholly money as he doesn't feel very secure in landing several top 10ish guys.  I'll reserve judgement until the 2024 class is complete, but Bono needs to land 2 or 3 top 20 guys to move the program from a middling Big Ten program to compete with the big boys. 
Yea trust Flo over Willie when it comes to recruiting rankings  ::) Maybe Estrada is even better than top 30 he just hasn't got the chance to wrestle those guys yet. You said you will reserve judgement, but judge Estrada and say he isn't great. You judge the coaches and make a guess how much they offered him, and also judge them for not aiming high enough even though they are clearly recruiting some of the big names in the class based on public events like the WRTC with Hopke, Davino, etc. 

BadgerOne

Quote from: BuckyMatt on December 22, 2022, 10:27:32 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on December 22, 2022, 09:55:03 AM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on December 22, 2022, 07:37:16 AM
Quote from: bigoil on December 22, 2022, 04:27:10 AMLooks like Badgers double dipped in CA and at 145.

Keeping the @badgerwrestling commits coming with Poway Wrestler @laird_root !! Welcome to 𝙒𝙄𝙎𝘾𝙊𝙉𝙎𝙄𝙉 ! Class of 2024 🦡

Posted by Tom on Facebook. He's ranked #11 in the country at 145 and he's a 3rd place CIF finisher.

Exciting start to the 2024 class! That makes 3 kids in consecutive classes from West Coast power Poway High School in Bobzien, Lucas Condon and now Root!  I see Condon won and Root took 2nd in the Reno tournament of Champions!

And Estrada winning the one class California State as a sophomore shows huge upside!

Exciting times with this West Coast flavor!

How much scholarship money are Bobzien, Condon, Root and now Estrada tying up?  I have some hope for Estrada, but really am not expecting much from the other three in terms of providing NCAA points.  I'd rather see the Badgers get a pipeline where they can land higher end talent than they have done so far in California.  Keep in mind, Bono lost the best California wrestler he ever coached in Evan Wick to transfer and I don't see any of the new recruits anywhere near that caliber.

Wick placed 4th and 5th at California State.

Estrada placed 1st with 2 more shots.

Condon placed 3rd with 1 more shot to go.

Root placed 3rd with 2 more shots to go.

That's fine, but I like to see national results over state results.  Justin Mejia was a four time Cal state champ and did nothing in College.  Seth Nevills was also a four time state champ and was stuck as a backup at Penn State (though he probably would have been a qualifier had he gone elsewhere).  Evan Wick didn't really perform all that well at state, but he did well enough nationally to be ranked in the 25-45 range.  He wasn't exactly a blue chipper out of high school but he vastly outperformed expectations.  While we can hope all the kids outperform like Wick and make a positive impact for the Badgers wrestling team, the odds aren't real high given the rankings.   I hope Badgers can land some real blue chippers like the guys I mentioned earlier.

BadgerOne

Quote from: wrastle63 on December 22, 2022, 11:23:38 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on December 21, 2022, 07:55:55 PMNot sure this qualifies as "great" news given where the kid is ranked, but ok if they still have money to land three blue chippers in the 2024 class, which Bono needs to try to do given this is probably Bono's best opportunity to make a major recruiting splash.  Bono needs to close some top 10ish recruits in the 2024 class like Davino, Hopke, Ferrari and Mirasola and these are guys he'd likely have to offer full or near full rides to land.
LOL a top 30 recruit in the class isn't great??? Willie said multiple high level programs were trying to get him. 

He's not a top 50 Flo ranked guy and not top tier like Davino, Hopke, Ferrari, Mirasola etc.  While his record is good and he won a Cal state title as a soph, I am concerned that he hasn't faced and beat much nationally ranked competition. Badgers only have so much scholly money to hand out and I worry they are not aiming high enough.  If he is a walk on or light scholly guy, I'd be thrilled, but I suspect Bono gave him plenty of scholly money as he doesn't feel very secure in landing several top 10ish guys.  I'll reserve judgement until the 2024 class is complete, but Bono needs to land 2 or 3 top 20 guys to move the program from a middling Big Ten program to compete with the big boys. 
Yea trust Flo over Willie when it comes to recruiting rankings  ::) Maybe Estrada is even better than top 30 he just hasn't got the chance to wrestle those guys yet. You said you will reserve judgement, but judge Estrada and say he isn't great. You judge the coaches and make a guess how much they offered him, and also judge them for not aiming high enough even though they are clearly recruiting some of the big names in the class based on public events like the WRTC with Hopke, Davino, etc. 

Whether or not he's 30 like Willie's rank or 70 like Flo, doesn't really matter.  I go to trackwrestling and other sites to see who he's wrestled and beaten.  I haven't found any great wins to make me think he's anything special and he had a few close matches with unranked guys.  I don't think he's wrestled in Fargo, Super 32, Ironman other big national tournaments and beat highly national ranked opponents. But if you think otherwise, please share.

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 22, 2022, 11:53:21 AM

Whether or not he's 30 like Willie's rank or 70 like Flo, doesn't really matter.  I go to trackwrestling and other sites to see who he's wrestled and beaten.  I haven't found any great wins to make me think he's anything special and he had a few close matches with unranked guys.  I don't think he's wrestled in Fargo, Super 32, Ironman other big national tournaments and beat highly national ranked opponents. But if you think otherwise, please share.

There is a fair amount of projecting that goes into recruiting and if you can see something in an athlete and get them to commit before they become great you really have a leg up. The Badgers are a fringe top 10 program right now and with all the competition for the top tier athletes, getting a top 10 kid every year is really difficult. Getting multiples would be truly astounding. They are in a on several but they may not get any and I think you have to take what can get and hope that you can one of the top kids too.

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on December 22, 2022, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on December 22, 2022, 11:53:21 AM

There is a fair amount of projecting that goes into recruiting and if you can see something in an athlete and get them to commit before they become great you really have a leg up. The Badgers are a fringe top 10 program right now and with all the competition for the top tier athletes, getting a top 10 kid every year is really difficult. Getting multiples would be truly astounding. They are in a on several but they may not get any and I think you have to take what can get and hope that you can one of the top kids too.

I don't disagree with that.   I would say that Bono has landed two top ten high school guys so far: Braxton Amos and Dean Hamiti and I was real happy with both signings.  He also got another elite guy in the portal with Austin Gomez and again I was happy with that signing.  2024 is the perfect opportunity to shine for a number of factors: 1) Perhaps best Wisconsin class ever-top heavy and deep; 2) Bono brought in several elite guys from this class to wrestle with Germany; 3) Bonobilt outreach and 4) scholarship money should be plentiful since most of the best wrestlers will graduate by 2024 (Braxton, Hamiti, Rowley and Zargo should be the best remaining guys).  Bono needs to execute and I frankly would be disappointed if he can't land at least two elite guys in 2024.  Davino seems to like Wisconsin a lot based on what I have seen on social media, so if Bono plays his cards right, he should be able to lock him up.  I think Hopke likes Wisconsin quite a bit too based on what I have seen on social media, though I expect Minnesota and Penn State to put up a fight.  I don't know how Ferarri is leaning, but given that some schools are probably leary of that family and Bono's success with guys like Gross and Gomez after some schools shied away from, them plus their shared Italian heritage, I'd say Bono has a legit chance there.  Someone on this board posted that Mirasola was not considering Wisconsin, but maybe that was an assumption made based on AWA connection, but if I recall correctly, he did visit the school so maybe there is a shot. I think Bono can land at least one, but hopefully two or three.  Let's see.

vsmf2010

I hope you are right! As I posted the other day on another string. Any one of those top 5 guys (Hopke, Davino and Ferrari) would be amazing and more than 1 would be an epic recruiting class! 

Vir Fortis

Of course you don't...because you insist on this clownish activity on the board. There are like...what, nearly 27000-28000 High School Wrestlers in California? 900 Wresting Programs? This kid won it as a Soph at 145.

He's a State Champ in his first chance in CALIFORNIA at 145...but not great News...because of what YOU-DON'T-KNOW.

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 21, 2022, 07:55:55 PMHow much scholarship money are Bobzien, Condon, Root and now Estrada tying up?

So...again, strong opinion, little knowledge. That tracks. This means that it isn't a great day that Estrada committed to Wisconsin.

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 21, 2022, 07:55:55 PMThat's fine, but I like to see national results over state results.  Justin Mejia was a four time Cal state champ and did nothing in College.  Seth Nevills was also a four time state champ and was stuck as a backup at Penn State (though he probably would have been a qualifier had he gone elsewhere).  Evan Wick didn't really perform all that well at state, but he did well enough nationally to be ranked in the 25-45 range.  He wasn't exactly a blue chipper out of high school but he vastly outperformed expectations.

Ok, so Nevills lost his spot(eventually) to the #1 ranked pound for pound Wrestler in HIS class AFTER backing up the guy who beat Gable Stevenson at the NCAAs? And you even acknowledge that's part of Wrestling at Penn State...which begs the question, why did you mention him in the first place?

I'd like a lot of things. But lets track your logic. You're cherry picking ELITE prospects...top...10 prospects in fact who have failed to have success at the Collegiate level. It's almost...wait, this is gonna blow your mind, but it's ALMOST like Flo's rankings, they AREN'T sacrosanct.

Jesse Thielke was a top 10 recruit. But he was focusing on Greco(and thriving, not a shot at JT, he's a stud) and didn't really do much at Wisconsin. Tell me what that little tidbit is an indicator of?

Destin McCauley was the top overall recruit. A 5X State Champ in Minnesota, committed to Wisconsin. Don't recall seeing him in the National Finals in the Badgers singlet(or really much of any D1 Singlet).

And the point here isn't to take shots at kids who've been top 10 recruits and committed to Wisconsin, it's simply to point out how your always talking out of both sides of your mouth and these goal posts are welded to the back of a Stock car just drive up and down the field, moving whenever you need to change your ridiculous talking points.

You're not just moving the Goalposts, you're hiding them in a cloud of smoke.

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 21, 2022, 07:55:55 PMEvan Wick didn't really perform all that well at state, but he did well enough nationally to be ranked in the 25-45 range.  He wasn't exactly a blue chipper out of high school but he vastly outperformed expectations.

It's almost like California is SUCH a big state and has so much talent, that you can in fact be one of the top Wrestlers in the Country and...NOT be a State Champ. So how impressive must it be that this Soph won it at one of the toughest weight classes(generally speaking)?
Imagine where he could be ranked if he Wrestled at all the National Tourney's? Of course...SOME kids play multiple sports. Some can't afford that type of traveling(something I took for granted as a kid, but it was generally thousands of dollars each summer just so I could go and Wrestle). I don't know which it is. I know he's the best Wrestler in one of the best States at producing College Wrestlers and he became that as a Soph after not being able to Wrestle as a Freshmen.

But I'm sorry, I lose track. Bono loses points for losing Wick, the Best California Wrestler...but he wasn't a blue chipper despite being a top ~25 recruit.
So Wick=Best Wrestler, top 25-45 recruit.
That is ALSO not a blue chipper.
It's simultaneously the best recruit we've ever gotten out of California...despite the kid we JUST got having achieved something Wick wasn't able to with two additional years? I've got this all right, correct?

And there goes the #3 car, he's at the 40, the 35, the 30...turns around and is now headed the other way.

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 21, 2022, 07:55:55 PMWhile we can hope all the kids outperform like Wick and make a positive impact for the Badgers wrestling team, the odds aren't real high given the rankings.  I hope Badgers can land some real blue chippers like the guys I mentioned earlier.

Oh...yeah...some of those "REAL" blue Chippers! Whilst you JUST prattle on about how a couple other top Wrestlers didn't accomplish a lot in College.
Tell me what the odds actually are rather than just stating something as subjective as the Flo Rankins which places a WHOLE lot of emphasis on Wrestlers competing at their events?

You're complaining based on your own ignorance about how much certain Wrestlers MIGHT-maybe-could be getting and how if they might, maybe, could be getting what you don't know they might, maybe could be getting, then they might, maybe,  NOT be getting...the 3 Wrestlers you've identified that's really obviously the ONLY path forward to success. 3 top 10 Wrestlers in that class. Which at this point would make it similar to Ohio State's class last year with who they've already got.

One of, if not the most highly regarded recruiting classes ever.

Yeah...THAT'S your end game. If they "only" get one Davino, Hopke or Ferrari, you'll declare that a loss. If they get 2 of them...well, that'll again be based on your ignorance about what they might have given to Wrestlers who are still two years ago from being on Campus, but already winning California State Titles.

And god forbid they actually do get them. Then you're going to have to pretend like you're actually happy about it! A little sad, but also entirely predictable at this point.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: vsmf2010 on December 22, 2022, 04:12:51 PMI hope you are right! As I posted the other day on another string. Any one of those top 5 guys (Hopke, Davino and Ferrari) would be amazing and more than 1 would be an epic recruiting class! 

It'd be outstanding obviously. Hopke in particular...just for the sake of keeping Wisconsin kids in Wisconsin. I just don't see why EVERY time someone does commit to Wisconsin BadgerOne has to take these threads into this strange direction by undermining the kid they JUST got based on his own speculation in his own mind about what that MIGHT mean for those 3 Wrestlers instead of just celebrating an OBJECTIVELY good thing.

Adding an extremely talented Wrestler to the program.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on December 28, 2022, 02:10:40 AM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on December 22, 2022, 04:12:51 PMI hope you are right! As I posted the other day on another string. Any one of those top 5 guys (Hopke, Davino and Ferrari) would be amazing and more than 1 would be an epic recruiting class! 

It'd be outstanding obviously. Hopke in particular...just for the sake of keeping Wisconsin kids in Wisconsin. I just don't see why EVERY time someone does commit to Wisconsin BadgerOne has to take these threads into this strange direction by undermining the kid they JUST got based on his own speculation in his own mind about what that MIGHT mean for those 3 Wrestlers instead of just celebrating an OBJECTIVELY good thing.

Adding an extremely talented Wrestler to the program.

I am right there with you. Hard to understand how a sophomore champ from CA with 2 more shots in a middle weight class is not a GREAT day to be a Badger!

BadgerOne

I believe Estrada is a 17 year old kid who won a state title in California.  While that may be impressive, I would like to see some quality wins over nationally ranked kids to start drinking the Koolaid.  Given the Bono hype tweet, I wouldn't rule out the kid getting a sizable scholarship.  Hope there is enough money left to land Davino, Hopke and Ferarri if they all decide to come to Madison if they are offered enough money.

dad 2 5

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 28, 2022, 12:42:44 PMI believe Estrada is a 17 year old kid who won a state title in California.  While that may be impressive, I would like to see some quality wins over nationally ranked kids to start drinking the Koolaid.  Given the Bono hype tweet, I wouldn't rule out the kid getting a sizable scholarship.  Hope there is enough money left to land Davino, Hopke and Ferarri if they all decide to come to Madison if they are offered enough money.

Is it scholarship money or NIL that is important now? I would guess scholarship will be less of a thing with NIL in play and why the support for wrestling has to go up a lot to stay in the game with others like Iowa and PSU and others that have big machines behind them

stbird

Exactly!!! Scholarship money is nothing anymore. 

I believe Estrada is a 17 year old kid who won a state title in California.  While that may be impressive, I would like to see some quality wins over nationally ranked kids to start drinking the Koolaid.  Given the Bono hype tweet, I wouldn't rule out the kid getting a sizable scholarship.  Hope there is enough money left to land Davino, Hopke and Ferarri if they all decide to come to Madison if they are offered enough money.
[/quote]

Is it scholarship money or NIL that is important now? I would guess scholarship will be less of a thing with NIL in play and why the support for wrestling has to go up a lot to stay in the game with others like Iowa and PSU and others that have big machines behind them
[/quote]

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 28, 2022, 12:42:44 PMI believe Estrada is a 17 year old kid who won a state title in California.  While that may be impressive, I would like to see some quality wins over nationally ranked kids to start drinking the Koolaid.  Given the Bono hype tweet, I wouldn't rule out the kid getting a sizable scholarship.  Hope there is enough money left to land Davino, Hopke and Ferarri if they all decide to come to Madison if they are offered enough money.

You actually go and watch any of his matches, or just go on TrackWrestling?
Also...17? You believe that's his age?

He WON Folkstyle Nationals his Freshmen year. That's not beating enough Nationally ranked kids? His bracket wasn't tough enough? He did dominate it...kinda like the California State Tourney where he went in as the #1 Seed, won by a pin in the 2nd period.

I saw him dominate a Triple Crown Winner at Folkstyle Nationals. Not sure where he's ranked on flow, so...might not count.

::)  ::)

Man, you have to be limber with all this nonsense stretching.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Vir Fortis on December 30, 2022, 01:07:24 AM

He WON Folkstyle Nationals his Freshmen year. That's not beating enough Nationally ranked kids? His bracket wasn't tough enough? He did dominate it...kinda like the California State Tourney where he went in as the #1 Seed, won by a pin in the 2nd period.

I saw him dominate a Triple Crown Winner at Folkstyle Nationals. Not sure where he's ranked on flow, so...might not count.

Despite the name, that is not a big-time tournament compared to Fargo, Super 32, Ironman etc.  How many guys in Estrada's bracket did he beat that are ranked in Flo's National High School rankings?  If the answer is anything but ZERO, please share the names and where they are ranked.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 31, 2022, 03:24:40 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on December 30, 2022, 01:07:24 AM

Despite the name, that is not a big-time tournament compared to Fargo, Super 32, Ironman etc.  How many guys in Estrada's bracket did he beat that are ranked in Flo's National High School rankings?  If the answer is anything but ZERO, please share the names and where they are ranked.

LOL...he beat several guys getting scholarships to multiple schools, but I guess if it's not in the Trackwrestling "Big Wins" list, then it doesn't count, right!

God are you petty! Move on to Cal Poly already! You guys are there. That's your school. Why do you still care about taking these petty, ridiculous shots at EVERY Badger recruit?

But sure, winning a U16 National Title as a Freshmen="Not as impressive as it sounds."

By the way, if he entered an open right now, majored Levi Haines, would it matter? Are you so objectively spiteful that you'd find a reason to just whine more and more? This has gotten comical to me. Taking shots at High School kids. Not because of what you DO know...but because of what you claim you're worried about, but you DON'T actually know.

Like...dude, enough already.