Great day to be a Badger!

Started by crossface21, December 21, 2022, 10:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossface21

wrastle63

crossface21

2022 CIF State Champ at 145 lbs. as a sophomore.

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wrastle63

Willie has him at #30 on the Junior Big Board.

onwisconsin

BadgerOne

Not sure this qualifies as "great" news given where the kid is ranked, but ok if they still have money to land three blue chippers in the 2024 class, which Bono needs to try to do given this is probably Bono's best opportunity to make a major recruiting splash.  Bono needs to close some top 10ish recruits in the 2024 class like Davino, Hopke, Ferrari and Mirasola and these are guys he'd likely have to offer full or near full rides to land.

bigoil

Looks like Badgers double dipped in CA and at 145.

Keeping the @badgerwrestling commits coming with Poway Wrestler @laird_root !! Welcome to 𝙒𝙄𝙎𝘾𝙊𝙉𝙎𝙄𝙉 ! Class of 2024 🦡

Posted by Tom on Facebook. He's ranked #11 in the country at 145 and he's a 3rd place CIF finisher.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: bigoil on December 22, 2022, 04:27:10 AMLooks like Badgers double dipped in CA and at 145.

Keeping the @badgerwrestling commits coming with Poway Wrestler @laird_root !! Welcome to 𝙒𝙄𝙎𝘾𝙊𝙉𝙎𝙄𝙉 ! Class of 2024 🦡

Posted by Tom on Facebook. He's ranked #11 in the country at 145 and he's a 3rd place CIF finisher.

Exciting start to the 2024 class! That makes 3 kids in consecutive classes from West Coast power Poway High School in Bobzien, Lucas Condon and now Root!  I see Condon won and Root took 2nd in the Reno tournament of Champions!

And Estrada winning the one class California State as a sophomore shows huge upside!

Exciting times with this West Coast flavor!

wrastle63

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 21, 2022, 07:55:55 PMNot sure this qualifies as "great" news given where the kid is ranked, but ok if they still have money to land three blue chippers in the 2024 class, which Bono needs to try to do given this is probably Bono's best opportunity to make a major recruiting splash.  Bono needs to close some top 10ish recruits in the 2024 class like Davino, Hopke, Ferrari and Mirasola and these are guys he'd likely have to offer full or near full rides to land.
LOL a top 30 recruit in the class isn't great??? Willie said multiple high level programs were trying to get him. 

BadgerOne

Quote from: wrastle63 on December 22, 2022, 09:24:28 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on December 21, 2022, 07:55:55 PMNot sure this qualifies as "great" news given where the kid is ranked, but ok if they still have money to land three blue chippers in the 2024 class, which Bono needs to try to do given this is probably Bono's best opportunity to make a major recruiting splash.  Bono needs to close some top 10ish recruits in the 2024 class like Davino, Hopke, Ferrari and Mirasola and these are guys he'd likely have to offer full or near full rides to land.
LOL a top 30 recruit in the class isn't great??? Willie said multiple high level programs were trying to get him. 

He's not a top 50 Flo ranked guy and not top tier like Davino, Hopke, Ferrari, Mirasola etc.  While his record is good and he won a Cal state title as a soph, I am concerned that he hasn't faced and beat much nationally ranked competition. Badgers only have so much scholly money to hand out and I worry they are not aiming high enough.  If he is a walk on or light scholly guy, I'd be thrilled, but I suspect Bono gave him plenty of scholly money as he doesn't feel very secure in landing several top 10ish guys.  I'll reserve judgement until the 2024 class is complete, but Bono needs to land 2 or 3 top 20 guys to move the program from a middling Big Ten program to compete with the big boys. 

BadgerOne

Quote from: BuckyMatt on December 22, 2022, 07:37:16 AM
Quote from: bigoil on December 22, 2022, 04:27:10 AMLooks like Badgers double dipped in CA and at 145.

Exciting start to the 2024 class! That makes 3 kids in consecutive classes from West Coast power Poway High School in Bobzien, Lucas Condon and now Root!  I see Condon won and Root took 2nd in the Reno tournament of Champions!

And Estrada winning the one class California State as a sophomore shows huge upside!

How much scholarship money are Bobzien, Condon, Root and now Estrada tying up?  I have some hope for Estrada, but really am not expecting much from the other three in terms of providing NCAA points.  I'd rather see the Badgers get a pipeline where they can land higher end talent than they have done so far in California.  Keep in mind, Bono lost the best California wrestler he ever coached in Evan Wick to transfer and I don't see any of the new recruits anywhere near that caliber.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 22, 2022, 09:55:03 AM

How much scholarship money are Bobzien, Condon, Root and now Estrada tying up?  I have some hope for Estrada, but really am not expecting much from the other three in terms of providing NCAA points.  I'd rather see the Badgers get a pipeline where they can land higher end talent than they have done so far in California.  Keep in mind, Bono lost the best California wrestler he ever coached in Evan Wick to transfer and I don't see any of the new recruits anywhere near that caliber.

Wick placed 4th and 5th at California State.

Estrada placed 1st with 2 more shots.

Condon placed 3rd with 1 more shot to go.

Root placed 3rd with 2 more shots to go.

bigoil

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 22, 2022, 09:55:03 AM

Tristan, UW will have plenty of availability.