Purdue Wrestling Sweeps Boilermaker Duals

Started by TomM, November 21, 2022, 09:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The Purdue wrestling team won all three of its matches Sunday, claiming 23 dual points in each to improve to 3-1 on the season. Victories over Cleveland State (23-13), Northern Illinois (23-11) and Chattanooga (23-16) came on the back of seven bonus point wins, including two pins.

The Boilermakers (3-1, 0-0 B1G) were anchored by sophomore Matt Ramos and redshirt-senior Kendall Coleman who both turned in perfect 3-0 days with five bonus point wins and a whopping 25 dual points between the two of them. Ramos posted three major decision wins and outscored his opponents by 27. He also picked up his first ranked win over the year by taking a 13-3 major over Northern Illinois' No. 28 Blake West.

Coleman picked up two majors before a decision in his final match. His day was highlighted by a first period fall (0:55) of Cleveland State's Ryan Granger. When asked about it afterwards, the veteran 157-pounder said, "I couldn't even tell you what I did. I just saw an opportunity and took it."

"I'm happy with how we competed today," said head coach Tony Ersland. "We were much more aggressive today. We created more action and more scoring situations and I thought we competed much better when compared to last week. A lot of positives that we can take from today."

In a squad full of youth at almost every weight class, Ersland once again gave dual debuts to multiple Boilermakers including sophomores Stoney Buell, Jaden Reynolds and Tristan Ruhlman and freshman Brody Baumann. Buell stepped up with a 12-4 major decision win in the 165-pound slot against Chattanooga, dominating his match with two takedowns, a reversal and two and four point near falls.

Ruhlman made the most of his opportunities in the highest pressure situation. He won his first bout in an 11-5 decision over Terrese Aarno of Northern Illinois before being thrust into a do or die match in the dual with Chattanooga. With one point separating the two teams, the heavyweight answered the call by pinning (2:52) Logan Andrew in the first period to win the match for Purdue in walk-off fashion.

"That felt great. Not even just for myself. It was obviously a big win for me, but I'm glad that I could clutch it up for the team" Ruhlman said after. "We were only leading by one point and I knew it would come down to me and honestly it was more drive than anything. There were some nerves to it but thankfully I was able to pull out the pin there."

Multiple other Purdue wrestlers made their second dual appearance as part of the youth movement, including sophomores Hayden Copass, Hayden Filipovich, Dustin Norris and Ben Vanadia. 133-pounder Norris won both of his first two matches before having to medically withdraw from the third. No. 27 Ben Vanadia also went 2-1 on the day, losing his only match to Chattanooga's No. 23 Matthew Waddel.

"I thought it was a really good day for our young guys," Ersland said. "They had to fight and win in some really tough situations and they did that a couple of times today. You always tell them that everybody needs to be ready and they were. Tristan Ruhlman really embraced that role. Today he got his two opportunities and looked great. Same thing for [Brady] Baumann and Stoney [Buell]. I thought a lot of young guys did a nice job of going out and competing hard. Those are things we can build off of win or lose as the season goes along. "

At 141-pounds, fifth-year senior Parker Filius went 2-1 to get back in the win column, claiming 6-1 and 5-2 victories over Northern Illinois' Jaivon Jones and Chattanooga's Dayne Dalrymple. Junior Trey Kruse added a crucial win in the final match of the day, besting Grant Lundy of Chattanooga 7-2 with a six-point first period to help Purdue stay in front in that dual. Cooper Noehre earned a 15-5 major decision in his opening bout with seven takedowns against Cleveland State's Caleb Cass.

Up Next
The Boilermakers will have the week off for Thanksgiving as they prepare to travel to the vaunted Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational on Dec. 2-3.

Match Results
Purdue 23 – Cleveland State 13
125: #8 Matt Ramos (PUR) over Ben Aranda (CSU) (MD 15-7)
133: Dustin Norris (PUR) over Jake Manley (CSU) (Dec 7-6)
141: Dylan Layton (CSU) over #14 Parker Filius (PUR) (Dec 10-4)
149: Douglas Terry (CSU) over Trey Kruse (PUR) (Dec 6-3)
157: #13 Kendall Coleman (PUR) over Ryan Granger (CSU) (Fall 0:55)
165: Cooper Noehre (PUR) over Caleb Cass (CSU) (MD 15-5)
174: Macartney Parkinson (PUR) over Tate Geiser (CSU) (Dec 4-3)
184: #27 Ben Vanadia (PUR) over DeAndre Nassar (CSU) (Dec 11-7)
197: Anthony Perrine (CSU) over Hayden Filipovich (PUR) (Dec 9-3)
285: Daniel Bucknavich (CSU) over Hayden Copass (PUR) (Dec 6-2)

Purdue 23 – Northern Illinois 11
125: #8 Matt Ramos (PUR) over #28 Blake West (NIU) (MD 13-3)
133: Dustin Norris (PUR) over Lucian Brink (NIU) (Dec 2-1)
141: #14 Parker Filius (PUR) over Jaivon Jones (NIU) (Dec 6-1)
149: Anthony Cheloni (NIU) over Jaden Reynolds (PUR) (MD 10-1)
157: #13 Kendall Coleman (PUR) over Munktulga Zuunbayan (NIU) (MD 12-3)
165: #11 Izzak Olejnik (NIU) over Cooper Noehre (PUR) (MD 8-0)
174: Hayden Pummel (NIU) over Brody Baumann (PUR) (Dec 10-6)
184: #27 Ben Vanadia (PUR) over Matt Zuber (NIU) (Dec 11-5)
197: Hayden Filipovich (PUR) over Jordan Sommers (NIU) (Dec 4-2)
285: Tristan Ruhlman (PUR) over Terrese Aaron (NIU) (Dec 11-5)

Purdue 23 – Chattanooga 16
125: #8 Matt Ramos (PUR) over Logan Ashton (CHAT) (MD 13-4)
133: #27 Brayden Palmer (CHAT) over Dustin Norris (PUR) (Inj. 1:14)
141: #14 Parker Filius (PUR) over Dayne Dalrymple (CHAT) (Dec 5-2)
149: Trey Kruse (PUR) over Grant Lundy (CHAT) (Dec 7-2)
157: #13 Kendall Coleman (PUR) over Lincoln Heck (CHAT) (Dec 7-2)
165: Stoney Buell (PUR) over Jackson Hurst (CHAT) (MD 12-4)
174: #16 Rocky Jordan (CHAT) over Macartney Parkinson (PUR) (MD 14-0)
184: #23 Matthew Waddell (CHAT) over #27 Ben Vanadia (PUR) (Dec 6-0)
197: Jake Boyd (CHAT) over Hayden Filipovich (PUR) (Dec 5-1)
285: Tristan Ruhlman (PUR) over Logan Andrew (CHAT) (Fall 2:52)

William Soulé
Assistant Strategic Communications Director (Wrestling, Football)
Purdue Athletics | #BoilerUp
O: 765.494.5037 | C: 918.899.2053
@PurdueWrestling | @BoilerFootball | @williambsoule
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"