If you attended UW La Crosse, you may have known Bob Batchelder

Started by TomM, January 18, 2023, 02:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Mr. Batchelder was a great person. He also established the UW La Crosse wrestling program. He was the staff member who over saw my teaching internship.

Robert W. Batchelder, 93

https://portcitydaily.com/obits/2023/01/16/robert-w-batchelder-93/

WILMINGTON — Robert W. Batchelder, PhD passed away January 8, 2023. Bob, "Coach", "Batch" was born in Brockton, MA, 1929. His parents Anne and Harry A. Batchelder soon moved their family to West Allis, Wisconsin. Here, Bob married his high school sweetheart, Beverly Jane Beck in 1950.

Bob Received a baccalaureate degree in Physical Education and Science from La Crosse State College. He turned down an offer to play for the Green Bay Packers after a stunning performance in the 1951 Cigar Bowl. Instead, Bob pursued graduate degrees in Educational Administration (MA) and a Doctorate of Education. Bob joined the faculty of the La Crosse State (UW – La Crosse) in 1956. He was particularly devoted to the players and fellow coaches in football and basketball. The 1959 team finished a winning season outscoring their opponents 274 – 81. Bob also initiated and developed the collegiate wrestling program at La Crosse and coached men's golf.

In 1965, Bob became a full professor at UW – La Crosse and was honored to receive the Excellence in Teaching Award. In 1988, He retired as Professor Emeritus.

Bob was a loyal member of the Zor Shrine Temple and Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons of Madison, WI. He and Bev cherished the friendships they made living on Solaris Lane and during the tenure at the University. They also attended the Lutheran Church in Wisconsin, Florida and Wilmington, NC.

Bob was a father figure, a mentor and a friend to nearly everyone he met. His smile and beautiful blue eyes radiated warmth and joy. He will be missed by all.

He was predeceased by Beverly, his wife of seventy -two years and son, Curt Lane Batchelder. Survivors include son, Craig, grandchildren Zan (Savannah), Aubrey (Luis), Bret (Haley) and Austin.

In lieu of flower donations, donations to the Robert W. and Beverly J. Batchelder Scholarship for the College of Health, Physical Education and Recreation would be appreciated. 615 East Avenue North, PO Box 1148 La Crosse, WI 54602-1148.

A memorial service for both Bob and Bev will be held in La Crosse, Wisconsin. They will rest together again in the Garden of Peace Mausoleum of La Crosse.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Info77

Hi Tom,

I also had Dr. Batchelder as a professor at UWL and have fond memories.  Apparently, we are both kind of old.

yde

I had classes with Dr. Batchelder as a junior and senior .  When I was a senior (1984). He showed up in the wrestling room with his gear.  Still had the old white canvas wrestling shoes!  He came to roll around with me.  He told me don't hurt me.  We rolled around for 10-20 minutes while the rest of the team was warming up. I enjoyed his classes and felt honored he came in for a roll around. He was one of my favorite teachers.   RIP Batch
Jay Yde

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"