Signings

Started by memyselfandi, November 09, 2022, 02:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachWoodsOHS

Quote from: bigoil on November 18, 2022, 10:11:30 AMI would be happy to broker that truce if Ben and Max would be willing to discuss. I'm happy to come to Hartland/Mequon to make it happen.

Can everyone just get along?! It's time to wrestle!!!!

wrastle63

Quote from: bigoil on November 18, 2022, 10:11:30 AMI would be happy to broker that truce if Ben and Max would be willing to discuss. I'm happy to come to Hartland/Mequon to make it happen.
That would be awesome... but know that it won't happen. I agree with Ben that they should go to the best place for them(that doesn't have to be UW), but to badmouth UW is bad for the kids and lessens their options to continue wrestling.  Would be better for the kids if UW is an actual option, which is what we are supposed to be about.

Army Ant

While it's pretty clear that the AWA "ecosystem" (as he describes it) is steering kids away from UW, it's really the Badger staff that is responsible for their own recruiting. Bono needs to do his best to patch any bad relationships that are impacting his recruiting or else work around it. I agree that none of our academies in the state have any obligation to help Bono.

In the end, I just like to see the WI H.S. natives have success. I'll root for somebody like O'Toole or Keckeisen just as much as somebody like Gomez (wrestles for UW but isn't from here). If they can really be more successful wrestling for another school, then great for them. However, I think Bono is also doing a pretty good job of getting and developing his talent. I have no idea who has the "best" coaching staffs. My best guess is that it depends upon the kid himself.

mike

About time we got some wrestling chatter on this forum! Let's go people! We gots some legit wrestling talent in this state! Yell, argue, speak loud and support!

Grappledad

How well do people even know whether or not Bono is even putting time into recruiting all these kids.  It's simple to blame Ben because a lot of top talent goes to AWA. But at the end of the day who's to say Bono is out here putting in the effort.  Enlighten us bigoil

Grappledad

littleguy301

Quote from: Grappledad on November 20, 2022, 07:04:37 PM

How well do people even know whether or not Bono is even putting time into recruiting all these kids.  It's simple to blame Ben because a lot of top talent goes to AWA. But at the end of the day who's to say Bono is out here putting in the effort.  Enlighten us bigoil

It is a 2 way street on recruiting.

Bono has done a great job in bringing in transfers and making the badgers a competitive team!

With that said, transfer portal is a tough way to keep building teams in my eyes but what do I know ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

I don't think it is appropriate for me to comment on recruiting, when the coach himself is not allowed to but I can comment that the staff has had many studs in for camps, Germany vs USA, etc.

MatScoutWillie

If he's not recruiting the likes of Sinclair, Scoles, Mirosloa Twins, and Millard.......He should be fired immediately.  Not to mention the other hammers in the 24' class. 

BuckyMatt

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on November 21, 2022, 09:47:34 AM

If he's not recruiting the likes of Sinclair, Scoles, Mirosloa Twins, and Millard.......He should be fired immediately.  Not to mention the other hammers in the 24' class. 

Every one of those kids you mentioned was recruited by Wisconsin. Unfortunately for fans of the state and fans of the Badgers, none will attend.

In regards to Bono being fired immediately, I don't think Ben has been private in his opinion that he wants Bono fired.  If AWA kids don't go to Madison, that helps his cause.

-Matt Deadman

onwisconsin

I will pull for most every kid (cannot think of any exceptions right now) who is from Wisconsin no matter where they wrestle in college.  Just like I root for all our USA wrestlers in the Olympics or World Championships. 

That being said I want the Badger program to be excellent and am happy with Coach Bono. I also want our Fargo teams to be excellent.  I just find it extremely disappointing the relationship or lack of a relationship that is present between AWA and UW-Madison.  No matter what the reason or the cause, it is highly disappointing.

To me it doesn't make sense to carry grudges, especially if it limits a kids options.  I wish all parties could forgive, communicate, and get past this.  It is how we are supposed to handle situations as adults. Sets a better example for our kids.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

On Wisconsin

onwisconsin

benaskren

OK guys I will pacify you guys... I am open to meeting with Chris Bono to discuss our differences, but I think we should record it as a live podcast that way it is fair and open and everyone can decide for themselves :) I have zero things that can not be discussed publicly, someone please reach out and see if he would like to do this.

I also discussed with BigOil(Mike) last week, unfortunately he did not bring any new pertinent information to the table to allay my concerns with Chris Bono.

You guys just give me a time and date and I am ready to discuss
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

onwisconsin

Thanks Ben.  How ever the differences could be reconciled would be great. If a podcast is the best format ... awesome.  If it's done behind closed doors ... awesome.

I don't need to know the hows or whys. I don't care if fault is 50/50 or 90/10. 

I just want the best for the State of Wisconsin wrestling ... for wrestlers and fans. I think I speak for Wisconsinites in that we wish AWA and Coach Bono, Coach Reader, Coach Gross, and the UW program the best.  You all represent us. We root for all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who love Wisconsin wrestling.

Chedd

You know a meeting on these terms is never going to happen. Even if Bono wanted to it is very doubtful the university would want one of their coaches to go on a podcast to discuss his differences with a club coach. That would look extremely amateurish. I'm guessing Ben knows this and that is why he mentioned he would do this meeting on those terms, knowing it'll never be able to happen.

neutral

I don't believe Ben is saying he'll debate Bona because he knows Bona can't ... because I have no doubt of Ben's confidence in being able to represent himself.

I realize that Bono can't take up the challenge ... because it would be inappropriate for any public forum.

I do believe these 2 should talk privately ... and attempt to peacefully coexist in the WI wrestling community - which is the only thing that is truly in the interest of WI wrestlers.

Happy Holidays! ... & best wishes for a GREAT season of wrestling!!
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

neutral

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

onwisconsin

Quote from: neutral on November 26, 2022, 08:15:50 AMI don't believe Ben is saying he'll debate Bona because he knows Bona can't ... because I have no doubt of Ben's confidence in being able to represent himself.

I realize that Bono can't take up the challenge ... because it would be inappropriate for any public forum.

I do believe these 2 should talk privately ... and attempt to peacefully coexist in the WI wrestling community - which is the only thing that is truly in the interest of WI wrestlers.

Happy Holidays! ... & best wishes for a GREAT season of wrestling!!

Well said Neutral.  Thank you!

onwisconsin