Kyle Burwick/UW/Neb

Started by asdf, November 02, 2022, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckwrestler

manning's perspective here:  https://www.flowrestling.org/collections/6751866-interviews/video?playing=10214755

Makes it sound like it was easy for UW to sign, they just didn't. 

npope

Quote from: ckwrestler on January 15, 2023, 06:41:44 AMmanning's perspective here:  https://www.flowrestling.org/collections/6751866-interviews/video?playing=10214755

I am no expert, so take this for what it's worth, the 21 page thread on this topic raised the issue as to what WI would be saying if it were to actually sign the document in question (NPO) because the document evidently wants the previous school to say something to the effect that the athlete in question did not have access to training/competition, etc., and thus, was essentially being forced to transfer. This would suggest for example, that the athlete was banned from access to the UW athletic program prior to entering the portal. Some posters were suggesting that this was not the case at the UW as everything flowed from Burwick's announcement that he was enter the portal first. I don't know the reality, but that argument was that if the UW signed the NPO then it would have been misrepresenting the truth and put itself at legal risk. If that were true, then Manning's explanation is dealing with only half truths. Anyway - good for Kyle. Good luck until he faces the UW on the mat.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Vir Fortis

Quote from: ckwrestler on January 15, 2023, 06:41:44 AMmanning's perspective here:  https://www.flowrestling.org/collections/6751866-interviews/video?playing=10214755

Yeah, you'd think he'd just shut up and be happy his guy is eligible.

It was out of Bono's hand. It was up to Tiedt to basically say that Burwick had no opportunity to compete at Wisconsin. That he'd lost his opportunity. Lamont is a nice Wrestler. Burwick was supposed to a blue chipper with 3 years left.

The only thing stopping him was he didn't want to stay and beat Lamont out. It seems by those in the know(not UW or Neb in particular, people who are familiar with the transfer rules) it was always going to be 2nd semester.

But to be clear, it WOULD have been easy to sign. It just would have required they lie.

Just a hint, but Manning isn't exactly neutral here. He came out, made some obnoxious and inflammatory comments. I wonder if he'd have signed a piece of paper he knowingly knew to be false in the same situation. Sounds like he would have.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: npope on January 15, 2023, 10:56:47 AM

I am no expert, so take this for what it's worth, the 21 page thread on this topic raised the issue as to what WI would be saying if it were to actually sign the document in question (NPO) because the document evidently wants the previous school to say something to the effect that the athlete in question did not have access to training/competition, etc., and thus, was essentially being forced to transfer. This would suggest for example, that the athlete was banned from access to the UW athletic program prior to entering the portal. Some posters were suggesting that this was not the case at the UW as everything flowed from Burwick's announcement that he was enter the portal first. I don't know the reality, but that argument was that if the UW signed the NPO then it would have been misrepresenting the truth and put itself at legal risk. If that were true, then Manning's explanation is dealing with only half truths. Anyway - good for Kyle. Good luck until he faces the UW on the mat.

I'm also no expert, but in talking(via DM) from people NOT involved with the Badgers, but who understood the scenario, this sounds exactly like what I head repeatedly.

UW had no issue with him transferring(though I suppose after they started to fling mud and attack their character, they weren't quite as eager)...but it was more about them not willing to sign their name to something that was patently false.

For all the comments about Bono's "ethics," this not only had nothing to do with Bono, but this actually would have been unethical...from what I understand...via another member of an athletic Dept familiar with the Burwick situation.