Kyle Burwick/UW/Neb

Started by asdf, November 02, 2022, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerOne

The Kyle Burwick transfer situation is the most active current thread on the Intermat Forum.  https://intermatforums.com/forum/3-college-wrestling/

Healthy and happy

Well...this is starting to make some sense. Thanks Matt for posting the NCAA No Participation Opportunity form.  As I read it, the first criteria that the AD has to agree to is:

By signing this form, you certify that the student-athlete listed was no longer given an opportunity to participate (practice or compete per NCAA Bylaw 14.02.12) on the institution's team for reasons outside of the student-athlete's control.
From all the various quotes, especially Kyle's, he was on the team roster and was given the opportunity to participate and was indeed practicing until the Lamont signing happened. Everything was in his control (except he didn't want to compete against Lamont and decided to transfer).
So for Mac to sign this form (not Coach Bono) he would have to basically lie about that first point.  Does anyone else read it that way???
If so, then congratulations to Mac for having integrity and being honest. Why couldn't Nebraska do the same??

Vir Fortis

Quote from: novice wrestler on December 16, 2022, 11:02:57 PMWell...this is starting to make some sense. Thanks Matt for posting the NCAA No Participation Opportunity form.  As I read it, the first criteria that the AD has to agree to is:

By signing this form, you certify that the student-athlete listed was no longer given an opportunity to participate (practice or compete per NCAA Bylaw 14.02.12) on the institution's team for reasons outside of the student-athlete's control.
From all the various quotes, especially Kyle's, he was on the team roster and was given the opportunity to participate and was indeed practicing until the Lamont signing happened. Everything was in his control (except he didn't want to compete against Lamont and decided to transfer).
So for Mac to sign this form (not Coach Bono) he would have to basically lie about that first point.  Does anyone else read it that way???
If so, then congratulations to Mac for having integrity and being honest. Why couldn't Nebraska do the same??

He doesn't have to "lie," he could just say he didn't have the opportunity any longer...and then his reason would they recruited over him, but he doesn't have to add that in there.

I don't think Bono/Wisconsin did anything wrong here, but...just sign it, it's a bad look. You have the HC at Nebraska basically calling you a liar...it just doesn't seem worth it.

ND kids have been Minnesota or Iowa's. We kinda had a little in there and it's a shame if this impacts that. Far pettier things that have already hurt Wisconsin's recruiting(which still looks pretty good).

Barou

Quote from: Vir Fortis on December 18, 2022, 06:04:15 AM
Quote from: novice wrestler on December 16, 2022, 11:02:57 PMWell...this is starting to make some sense. Thanks Matt for posting the NCAA No Participation Opportunity form.  As I read it, the first criteria that the AD has to agree to is:

He doesn't have to "lie," he could just say he didn't have the opportunity any longer...and then his reason would they recruited over him, but he doesn't have to add that in there.

I don't think Bono/Wisconsin did anything wrong here, but...just sign it, it's a bad look. You have the HC at Nebraska basically calling you a liar...it just doesn't seem worth it.

ND kids have been Minnesota or Iowa's. We kinda had a little in there and it's a shame if this impacts that. Far pettier things that have already hurt Wisconsin's recruiting(which still looks pretty good).

Exactly.  UW could/can make this happen.  They also didn't educate the student-athlete about the transfer portal.  Bono recruited over a guy, nothing wrong with that but do the right thing and release the student-athlete.

Right, wrong, or indifferent the majority of wrestling fans are going to look at the morality of this issue and if it involves Bono, they're going to assume he's on the wrong side of it. 
JHI Mafia

SP

I think this situation is at a point that they will never sign the form because that will look like they did something wrong. Kinda like going down with the ship.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

npope

I'm just surprised that the UW (Bono) haven't been more proactive in attempting to counter the negative look of all of this. I know the UW athletic dept. put out an earlier announcement saying we support Burwick's right to compete, but it also didn't come right out and say something to the effect of the UW has relinquished all claims on Burwick's right to compete. And I respectfully disagree with those among us who think that prior announcement said that; I'm on the UW's side in this affair and that is NOT what I read in the announcement. It seemed to carefully sidestep explicitly saying that it has complied with all of the necessary paperwork, etc. And even if that is what the UW thinks it said, to quietly sit by while the broader wrestling world labels Bono and the UW as the "bad guys" isn't very good damage control.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

Quote from: npope on December 20, 2022, 09:18:17 AMI'm just surprised that the UW (Bono) haven't been more proactive in attempting to counter the negative look of all of this. I know the UW athletic dept. put out an earlier announcement saying we support Burwick's right to compete, but it also didn't come right out and say something to the effect of the UW has relinquished all claims on Burwick's right to compete. And I respectfully disagree with those among us who think that prior announcement said that; I'm on the UW's side in this affair and that is NOT what I read in the announcement. It seemed to carefully sidestep explicitly saying that it has complied with all of the necessary paperwork, etc. And even if that is what the UW thinks it said, to quietly sit by while the broader wrestling world labels Bono and the UW as the "bad guys" isn't very good damage control.

Totally agree. The blowback is on the wrestling program. No one cares about the administration.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

vsmf2010

Burwick wrestled for Nebraska tonight vs Minnesota. They said on the broadcast that his eligibility came through on Wednesday

DocWrestling

With him finally wrestling, I assume this was an NCAA issue that he was not allowed to wrestle until second semester because he filed for transfer late
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

npope

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 14, 2023, 06:50:14 AMWith him finally wrestling, I assume this was an NCAA issue that he was not allowed to wrestle until second semester because he filed for transfer late

Over on the Husker Wrestling Twitter board there is an explanation as to the decision that was made to allow Burwick back on the mat and who all had a hand in it. Judging by the explanation, no one is to blame for the cluster ****. If I knew how to pull the post into this system I would - but I don't, so...

Nebraska 21 Minnesota 9

125 - Liam Cronin (Nebraska) dec Patrick McKee (Minnesota) 11-6
133 - Aaron Nagao (Minnesota) dec Kyle Burwick (Nebraska) 4-2SV
141 - Brock Hardy (Nebraska) maj Jake Bergeland (Minnesota) 9-0
149 - Dayne Morton (Nebraska) dec Michael Blockhus (Minnesota) 5-4
157 - Peyton Robb (Nebraska) dec Brayton Lee (Minnesota) 2-0
165 - Andrew Sparks (Minnesota) dec Bubba Wilson (Nebraska) 6-1
174 - Mikey Labriola (Nebraska) dec Bailee O'Reilly (Minnesota) 5-3
184 - Isaiah Salazar (Minnesota) dec Lenny Pinto (Nebraska) 7-6
197 - Silas Allred (Nebraska) dec Michial Foy (Minnesota) 6-4
285 - Cale Davison (Nebraska) dec Garrett Joles (Minnesota) 9-6
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

TomM

Quote from: npope on January 14, 2023, 09:15:22 AMOver on the Husker Wrestling Twitter board there is an explanation as to the decision that was made to allow Burwick back on the mat and who all had a hand in it. Judging by the explanation, no one is to blame for the cluster ****. If I knew how to pull the post into this system I would - but I don't, so...

https://twitter.com/NEBwrestle/status/1614057413346459650?s=20&t=L08o38ClXuOGT2R98EjCUA

Another piece on it.
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10335973-burwick-declared-eligible-to-compete-for-huskers-after-transfer-dispute
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

Their statement looks very similar to the Badgers statement in November.

Ghetto

Wrestling at Nebraska should be interesting.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Vir Fortis

Quote from: bigoil on January 14, 2023, 01:46:50 PMTheir statement looks very similar to the Badgers statement in November.

Yeah, it's almost as if the Badgers weren't fully invested in not allowing a former Wrestler, who didn't get his transfer in on time, to compete for Nebraska.

Wonder if Manning will issue any sort of apology(I don't actually wonder that).