Kyle Burwick/UW/Neb

Started by asdf, November 02, 2022, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tims

Going through the NCAA takes time as it is an appeal process. This is because he missed the portal date.  The Univ has stated they support him  but have not signed the release form.

walden_hiker

Quote from: DocWrestling on November 04, 2022, 05:17:55 PMUW agrees that they did not give him the proper dates.  UW obviously admitted it and Burwick has said he has that in writing.  That is good faith help already to try and sway NCAA.  UW had no formal obligations to do so but are admitting it because they hope it might help Kyle.  It is not like UW is admitting to any institutional failure.

UW athletic dept has been on the opposite side of this with athletes in multiple sports so do we really think they are going to try and hold up a transfer?  Like I said before even if they wanted to the NCAA could overrule.

Years ago coaches could not prevent a transfer but would try to make sure they did not transfer within the conference.  That does not exist anymore.  Heck one of the Badgers best volleyball players played for Michigan St last year.  Another volleyball player transferred from Baylor but had to sit out half the season for a rule that is completely different in football and basketball just because that is what the NCAA seems to do.  If she was a basketball transfer she would not have had to sit out at all.

Athletes have all the rights now.  Burwick obviously decided late to transfer and has no clue that all his issues are with the NCAA but the NCAA is a faceless organization.  Burwick calling out UW is more about being pissed he got recruited over and not about some transfer issue within the UW athletic dept.

UW could actually out and say we will not help Burwick and we do not want him to transfer.  If they did that it would not matter to Burwick because the NCAA could still allow it.  UW really has no obligation to help him transfer other than provide his transcripts probably.  No school has any control over any athlete that is enrolled at a different school.
+1

wrestlemania

As I said before, there's always some BS around this program at this time of year. Thank God the season starts tomorrow!

"So that is a misleading statement - the UW may indeed have some sway and/or influence over the NCAA decisions on the matter."

No it doesn't and why the heck do you think that it does? The NCAA operates on its own timetable and makes its own decisions regardless of what institution believes otherwise and even if not I can't think of any school that has zero pull with the NCAA than Wisconsin based on past history.

"The Univ. has stated they support him  but have not signed the release form."

You keep saying this but what do you have proof they have not? And even if they didn't, if the decision ultimately rests with the NCAA, then what does it matter if it's signed sealed and delivered if the NCAA still has to make a ruling on it one way or the other? If they say yes, then I imagine the release would be signed anyway.

This thing is so stupid! If Nebraska feels like it's getting screwed over then why haven't they made a big fuss about it hmm? What we have here is someone who got pissed they brought in a senior transfer for his weight class because he wasn't getting the job done and hope the competition would help him improve and yet he bolted. But for whatever reason he's angrier at the school that, you know, would like to improve its program to become championship caliber as we as fans have demanded it do, then the governing body that is ultimately holding this all up. Let me tell you all right now, championship programs, which we all wish UW to be, bring in transfers or recruit stud freshmen for competition in their wrestling room all the time. If that bothers you, then you probably shouldn't be a fan of college wrestling or any college sport for that matter period.  Nobody forced him to transfer. That's a decision he made and has to live with.

It really gets tiring that a  certain group of fans demands this and that from UW in wrestling and when they do try to compete in the same fashion as the top programs do, people start complaining about it.  Again, it just goes to show what I said before that UW's program can't achieve championship status given how so many parties out there try to undermine it, even within the school. It's truly sad. 

Harris

Quote from: wrestlemania link=msright]g=672231 date=1667609038]
Thank God the season starts tomorrow!

Best thing I have read on the whole thread!!!

BuckyMatt

I'm here in Jacksonville!
The UW Coaches are here.......

And I have a million dollar question.....is there really a "golden ticket release" form that the Coaches "sign" that releases a student athlete and allows them to compete immediately????

Kyle made a "claim" that the UW coaches were refusing to sign said form. He also claimed it was solely through this (Bono) decision that he couldnt wrestle.

Has anyone fact checked this??? Has anyone truly asked the NCAA "if coach signs said waiver, if it even "exists", can said wrestler compete?"

Or are we just taking a wrestler (and his families) interpretation of the rules and their agenda( and "waiver documents") for law? 

I Believe they TOLD Kyle the NCAA rules regarding post 5/1 transfers  before he transferred.  I also believe there isn't a golden ticket release "waiver"

Unfortunately with social media as it is, you can make ANY claims you want and paint anyone you want in a bad light...

-Matt Deadman
608-770-3333
matt@mattdeadmanhomes.com

crossface21

Quote from: BuckyMatt on November 04, 2022, 09:55:48 PMI'm here in Jacksonville!
The UW Coaches are here.......

And I have a million dollar question.....is there really a "golden ticket release" form that the Coaches "sign" that releases a student athlete and allows them to compete immediately????

Kyle made a "claim" that the UW coaches were refusing to sign said form. He also claimed it was solely through this (Bono) decision that he couldnt wrestle.

Has anyone fact checked this??? Has anyone truly asked the NCAA "if coach signs said waiver, if it even "exists", can said wrestler compete?"

Or are we just taking a wrestler (and his families) interpretation of the rules and their agenda( and "waiver documents") for law? 

I Believe they TOLD Kyle the NCAA rules regarding post 5/1 transfers  before he transferred.  I also believe there isn't a golden ticket release "waiver"

Unfortunately with social media as it is, you can make ANY claims you want and paint anyone you want in a bad light...

-Matt Deadman
608-770-3333
matt@mattdeadmanhomes.com

Again, I find it hard to believe that he didn't know the deadline for transferring. It's just happens too much to not know. These athletes talk. And he said he started considering it after NCAA's. That's 6 weeks of not talking to your coach about what you're going thru. With how tight these teams are, that almost seems like it's deliberate to not bring it up.

Maybe he's salty they brought in someone else. Maybe not. But I'll back up Bono bringing in as many guys that he think will improve the team even if it's going to replace a 2x NQ. How do you think the teams like Iowa and PSU stay on top? They have incredible depth. How great would it have been to have LaMont as your starter and if he goes down, you have a 2x NQ as his backup? That's how you build a NC contender.

head57

I'm also highly skeptical that there is a magical release form that gives one school power to supersede any NCAA transfer regulation at this point in time. Institutions have long been stripped of much (any?) say in an individual's decision to transfer. Rightfully so. As has been said in here several times, the NCAA holds the power.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

dman

Social media is a beautiful thing (or not)...people sure like conspiracy theories and blaming people without facts.

A kid with a losing college record and his parents get their pride hurt because UW brings in a quality transfer at his weight (like all great programs do now) and they chose to go on social medial and try and blame someone or something for the pure fact that the person who came in as the transfer is just plain better.  And the great thing about it is, Burwick can in fact transfer...but instead of sucking up his pride and waiting for the NCAA to do their thing, he and his parents take to social media...and some people on here take the bait...sad.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: STFM1 on November 04, 2022, 10:12:27 AMEveryone always wants to put the blame on someone else. First thing Burwick should have done is stick around and beat out Lamont instead of running from competition. Bono's job is to create competition and if he can't handle that, he will never make it in D1 wrestling. Seems to be the way in all sports these days! Instead of fighting a little harder and putting in more work, they just look for the easy route!

This is pretty easy to say, but when a program recruits over
Quote from: BuckyMatt on November 04, 2022, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: npope on November 04, 2022, 11:53:06 AMIf the UW is indeed putting obstacles in the way I think that is a bad look for the department and the wrestling program - just let the kid go with your blessings - nothing to be gained here by making it difficult. And even if they aren't making it difficult, just having someone publicly say the UW isn't facilitating the departure is a black-eye for the program.

So if they did do something wrong it's a bad look and even if they didn't do anything wrong it's a black eye? Sounds like a lose-lose for the UW? And that is one of the perils of social media cancel culture. People can make claims and even without proof, you lose.

I'm curious why Kyle or Nebraska has not commented or replied to the Athletic Department press release?  Oftentimes, when making a claim, you get a response from the other side, and then you make a rebuttal of said response. That has not been done here.

I don't think he's wrong. IF UW has not signed a release and it trying to make this unnecessarily difficult then it's an awful look. I have no clue if that's happening.

That IS effectively what the Burwick's are arguing however and they did respond to the UW Press release.

Also...yes, this does give UW a black eye either way. A very justified one if they're doing anything to hold up the transfer based on a technicality and an unjustified one if they're just the victims of a kid who is blaming UW rather than the NCAA if it is indeed the case that they've done all they can to facilitate a transfer.

Either way, a very prominent Wrestling family is saying some very unflattering things about the program and that's not good. Fair or not, it's harmful.

I don't know what's happened or who's right. In the past, I believe they could have just signed a waiver and he'd be eligible. If that's changed and the NCAA is standing in the way, that's on them and I hope it's cleared up.

-The part I really don't like(given as most of us are ignorant about the particulars regarding who's at fault for him currently being ineligible at Nebraska) are the shots people are taking at him on this forum.

I understand he's taking shots, but his emotion is more understandable and justified. For whatever reason, his transfer is behind held up and he's not able to compete.
-The fans pointing out his failures while wrestling in the B1G or calling him out on not just sticking it out when they recruited over him(and they've got an absolute stud coming in behind him). He just wants to wrestle this year.

Probably best to reserve judgement until we can figure out what the inappropriate term06 is actually going on. IF for some...strange reason Bono and the staff or the AD dept is trying to hold things up for the Burwicks(Which would be genuinely baffling and seem to go against how they've handled transfers in the past) then they should get called out on that.

If that's NOT the case and if a post- 5/1 transfer has to go through the NCAA for approval, then I hope the Burwick's publicly apologize to UW.

Seems pretty straight forward. I hope he can wrestle and has success this year(though...not too much).

BadgerOne

Flo did a whole segment on the Burwick transfer to Nebraska and eligibility issue today on Flo Radio Live.  Ben Askren weighed in and thinks Wisconsin is being dishonest with their statement that they put out on the matter.  The Flo group thinks Wisconsin could sign an NPO waiver and give Burwick immediate eligibility.   Also, Bryan Smith and Mark Mannning have entered the fray on Twitter.  Supposedly, per Pyles, Andy Hamilton is writing a big piece on this situation.  This whole situation is not a good luck when it comes to recruiting and Bono and Wisconsin need to address this situation by signing the waiver or address all the points made by the other side. 

Link to Flo piece: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10168119-nebraskas-burwick-stuck-in-eligibility-squabble-after-leaving-wisconsin

asdf

Earlier this week Bono tweeted out a portion of a NEW NCAA rule with a "look at this" type comment from Bono regarding the Burwick situation (with Bono not referencing Burwick's name).  A portion of the NEW rule states timeframes that a transfer is not eligible to wrestle this year. 

Nebraska Assistant Head Coach Bryan Snyder (Burroughs long-time coach and one of the most respected coaches in the nation), replied to Bono's tweet with the screenshot of the FULL rule basically validating Burwicks ability to wrestle this year....If Bono signs the NPO.

No reply yet from Bono to Snyder's assertion.

Willie Saylor also offering to get both Bono and Synder on podcast to clear the air.

bigoil

UW Athletic Department already addressed it. Also, Snyder indicates IF twice in his tweet, If he is reading it correctly.

I read it and think burwick will be eligible second semester.

UW has stated it is in NCAA hands, if you somehow think Bono can trump the AD or NCAA, good luck with that.

BadgerOne

Here's an excerpt from FLo article:

Burwick claimed he was never informed by Wisconsin officials about the transfer portal deadline. His initial request for immediate eligibility was denied by the NCAA on Oct. 7 and his case gained publicity with a Nov. 1 Twitter post that outlined his case.

The following evening, Wisconsin's athletic department issued a statement claiming that "Wisconsin Athletics supports current Nebraska student-athlete Kyle Burwick's desire to continue his collegiate wrestling career with immediate eligibility. The UW Athletics compliance staff and administration worked with Nebraska over the past several months to help facilitate Kyle's ability to participate. The decision to grant Kyle his eligibility for this season is in the hands of the NCAA."

"That statement they put out was the biggest fraud I've ever seen," Nebraska coach Mark Manning said. "It said they've worked with Nebraska for the past (several) months. They told my athletic director, Trev Alberts, and two other associate ADs 'No.' That's not working with them, that's us begging them to do the right thing. They're basically taking a year of eligibility away from (Burwick)."

Nebraska officials claim that Wisconsin has offered more resistance than support in Burwick's case. They question why the Badgers won't sign off on the waiver that would assure his immediate eligibility.

"We're perplexed," Manning said. "We're super surprised why, in this day and age when thousands of student-athletes enter the portal, why would you not release Kyle Burwick? Why would you (cost) him a year of eligibility when you admit you didn't educate the student-athletes of the May 1 transfer portal (deadline)? You never told Kyle Burwick, 'Hey, Kyle, we're recruiting Taylor LaMont. If you want to enter the portal, you've got to get in by May 1.'

"You already made your choice in your recruiting. You wanted Taylor LaMont. Everyone knows that. Kyle Burwick knows that. He's very honest with himself. He understands, 'Hey, they went another way. They didn't believe in me, so I'm going to go somewhere they do believe in me.' Why are you punishing him?"

Flowrestling reached out to Wisconsin officials for comment. The school's athletic department responded with another statement on Dec. 2: "We reiterate our support for Kyle's opportunity to compete and be immediately eligible. We have submitted the necessary paperwork, have cooperated with Nebraska and the NCAA and will have no further comment on the matter."

Wisconsin coach Chris Bono and Nebraska assistant Bryan Snyder weighed in Tuesday in a Twitter discussion about the NCAA's no participation opportunity waiver legislation.

BadgerOne

If anyone wants to hear Nebraska's side as to why they are saying Wisconsin is being uncooperative, you can contact the AD, Trev Alberts, directly.  His contact info is listed at this link: https://huskers.com/staff-directory/trev-alberts/1497  phone: (402) 472-3011, email: ad@huskers.com

BuckyMatt

Quote from: BadgerOne on December 16, 2022, 04:06:33 PMIf anyone wants to hear Nebraska's side as to why they are saying Wisconsin is being uncooperative, you can contact the AD, Trev Alberts, directly.  His contact info is listed at this link: https://huskers.com/staff-directory/trev-alberts/1497  phone: (402) 472-3011, email: ad@huskers.com

Likewise, if anyone wants to hear Wisconsin's side as to why they are saying they have done everything they can and it is in the NCAA's hands, you can contact the AD, Chris Mcintosh, https://uwbadgers.com/staff-directory/chris-mcintosh/623  phone: 608-262-1866  , contactus@uwbadgers.com

Additionally, a link to the mentioned NPO waiver form from the NCAA website.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/clr/D1CLR_NoParticipationOpportunityForm.pdf

Of note, the signature required on it is the "Director of Athletics"; not a coach.