Kyle Burwick/UW/Neb

Started by asdf, November 02, 2022, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Quote from: BuckyMatt on November 04, 2022, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: npope on November 04, 2022, 11:53:06 AMIf the UW is indeed putting obstacles in the way I think that is a bad look for the department and the wrestling program - just let the kid go with your blessings - nothing to be gained here by making it difficult. And even if they aren't making it difficult, just having someone publicly say the UW isn't facilitating the departure is a black-eye for the program.

So if they did do something wrong it's a bad look and even if they didn't do anything wrong it's a black eye? Sounds like a lose-lose for the UW? And that is one of the perils of social media cancel culture. People can make claims and even without proof, you lose.

I'm curious why Kyle or Nebraska has not commented or replied to the Athletic Department press release?  Oftentimes, when making a claim, you get a response from the other side, and then you make a rebuttal of said response. That has not been done here.

Well, first off, assuming the path is now clear for KB to make the transfer and retain his eligibility, I think much of the PR damage to the UW has already been done - more public commentary on the matter might simply be beating a dead horse. And while the NCAA has all of the power to make things happen, it would certainly help if the UW was in KB's corner the whole time encouraging the NCAA to do so. If the UW was slow in its support I would hope they learn a lesson from it going forward. But even now, as Tom alluded to, none of us know the whole story...but something sure has a little stink on it.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

In his Twitter post, Burwick mentions that he didn't even get a chance to let the staff know until June 13th, which is 6 weeks after the deadline. While it shouldn't matter, it probably does. Hopefully it can get sorted out before too long, and he'll be able to wrestle.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Quote from: Ghetto on November 04, 2022, 12:45:54 PMIn his Twitter post, Burwick mentions that he didn't even get a chance to let the staff know until June 13th, which is 6 weeks after the deadline. While it shouldn't matter, it probably does. Hopefully it can get sorted out before too long, and he'll be able to wrestle.
He didn't get a chance? He said he was considering it after the NCAA tournament. That would be something you should discuss with your coaches or the athletic department about your options. Not wait 3 months to decide. I am sure he saw Bono, Reader, and Gross at some point before June 13th.

crossface21

I just have a hard time believing in today's NCAA with students entering the transfer portal at such a blistering pace in all sports, that any athlete would not know when deadlines are for entering the portal.

bigoil

Nat,

In their hands is not vague.

We have worked with Kyle and Nebraska for months and support his transfer is not vague.

They aren't going to write out every step that has been or hasn't been taken with all the dates. It is not our business.

Tims

Burwick was "one of their guys".  "He had bought in". The only reason they won't sign the release form which is required at this point is because if Kyle wins or does better than Lamont it's a bad look on them.

Tim

npope

Quote from: bigoil on November 04, 2022, 02:00:18 PMNat,

In their hands is not vague.

We have worked with Kyle and Nebraska for months and support his transfer is not vague.

They aren't going to write out every step that has been or hasn't been taken with all the dates. It is not our business.

The statement is not vague, but the fact is that while it has always been in the hands of the NCAA, the institution's position on all of this might certainly carry some weight or bearing. So to say that, it's an NCAA issue (and none of our (UW's) business) is to suggest that the UW can only stand back and watch - which is not true. So that is a misleading statement - the UW may indeed have some sway and/or influence over the NCAA decisions on the matter. No one is asking the UW to write out a treatise on the topic - it was a simple release that stopped short in its response. A statement to the effect of "We have worked with Kyle and Nebraska for months..." in the original release (although the Burwicks might disagree with that sentiment) the UW made would have gone a long way toward convincing a reader that the UW is doing something more than just wishing KB well in his future endeavors....but they didn't say that.

Nat Pope

bigoil

I think their statement is clear, they have done all the work necessary for the NCAA to approve, now wait for the process to play out. Both sides acknowledge that UW supports the move.

Seems clear to me.

bigoil

Quote from: Tims on November 04, 2022, 02:24:52 PMBurwick was "one of their guys".  "He had bought in". The only reason they won't sign the release form which is required at this point is because if Kyle wins or does better than Lamont it's a bad look on them.

Tim

It is in the NCAA hands. Which means UW, which would include the coaching staff, have done everything required. Do you really think the UW would allow a coach to hold a student athlete hostage because they don't want to be showed up? There is ZERO chance of that, get real Tim.

npope

Quote from: bigoil on November 04, 2022, 03:04:01 PMI think their statement is clear, they have done all the work necessary for the NCAA to approve, now wait for the process to play out. Both sides acknowledge that UW supports the move.

Seems clear to me.

Well, I guess I am a bit more cynical than you, bigoil. Hope to see KB on the mat this winter - I think we can agree on that.

Nat Pope

Tims

Do I believe they would keep him from competing against them from another Big ten School?  Yes! Is that real enough for you?  Let's not pretend this was not common practice even before the portal.  The portal just took an element of control away from the coaches.  The deadline is what is burning Burwick as it brought the Power of the Release form back into the equation.

bigoil

Then what you think you know about Bono is completely wrong. He would not back down and instead would relish the challenge.   

Regardless of that, there is no way the athletic department would allow that to happen, especially given some unpopular decisions, they have faced recently in basketball and volleyball.

asdf

Quote from: bigoil on November 04, 2022, 03:04:01 PMI think their statement is clear, they have done all the work necessary for the NCAA to approve, now wait for the process to play out. Both sides acknowledge that UW supports the move.

Seems clear to me.

No where in the UW press release does it state anything close to "they have done all the work necessary for the NCAA to approve"  A few sentences of "UW supports him and has worked with him" is nothing near to what you wrote/believe.  That's the purposefully vagueness that is fishy to me. 

-Burwick says he has in writing from UW that UW erred in not providing proper dates per NCAA.  UW release says nothing about his assertion.
-UW says they support him.  Burwick says they aren't.
-UW says they have worked with him.  Burwick says they haven't.
-UW says they support him.  Burwick stated they have not filled out the release.  UW release does address his statement.

-I would like to live in a belief system that every DI coach has a kids best interest at heart, even if they want to leave (and within conference). But I don't. I also would like to believe a 20 yr. old should be able to navigate the NCAA process. But I don't. Guess I'm jaded as well.

bigoil

Quote from: asdf on November 04, 2022, 04:24:20 PM

Seems clear to me.

No where in the UW press release does it state anything close to "they have done all the work necessary for the NCAA to approve"  A few sentences of "UW supports him and has worked with him" is nothing near to what you wrote/believe.  That's the purposefully vagueness that is fishy to me. 

-Burwick says he has in writing from UW that UW erred in not providing proper dates per NCAA.  UW release says nothing about his assertion.
-UW says they support him.  Burwick says they aren't.
-UW says they have worked with him.  Burwick says they haven't.
-UW says they support him.  Burwick stated they have not filled out the release.  UW release does address his statement.

-I would like to live in a belief system that every DI coach has a kids best interest at heart, even if they want to leave (and within conference). But I don't. I also would like to believe a 20 yr. old should be able to navigate the NCAA process. But I don't. Guess I'm jaded as well.

Yes

DocWrestling

UW agrees that they did not give him the proper dates.  UW obviously admitted it and Burwick has said he has that in writing.  That is good faith help already to try and sway NCAA.  UW had no formal obligations to do so but are admitting it because they hope it might help Kyle.  It is not like UW is admitting to any institutional failure.

UW athletic dept has been on the opposite side of this with athletes in multiple sports so do we really think they are going to try and hold up a transfer?  Like I said before even if they wanted to the NCAA could overrule.

Years ago coaches could not prevent a transfer but would try to make sure they did not transfer within the conference.  That does not exist anymore.  Heck one of the Badgers best volleyball players played for Michigan St last year.  Another volleyball player transferred from Baylor but had to sit out half the season for a rule that is completely different in football and basketball just because that is what the NCAA seems to do.  If she was a basketball transfer she would not have had to sit out at all.

Athletes have all the rights now.  Burwick obviously decided late to transfer and has no clue that all his issues are with the NCAA but the NCAA is a faceless organization.  Burwick calling out UW is more about being pissed he got recruited over and not about some transfer issue within the UW athletic dept.

UW could actually out and say we will not help Burwick and we do not want him to transfer.  If they did that it would not matter to Burwick because the NCAA could still allow it.  UW really has no obligation to help him transfer other than provide his transcripts probably.  No school has any control over any athlete that is enrolled at a different school.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!