Kyle Burwick/UW/Neb

Started by asdf, November 02, 2022, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grapl

::) Wrestling is very small community.  When things like this come up I can't see it as a good thing. 

dman

Ugh...it is so funny to watch grown men try and make something out of nothing with limited information and even acknowledging they don't know the whole story.  But I guess that is where I society has gotten to...read stuff on social media and think they have a full transcript of what exactly happened.   ::)  ::)

People are better off, and would be more respected if they just came out and said they don't like Bono and/or UW wrestling, then try and conjure up fake scenarios to paint a negative picture towards him.  And this is coming from a guy who isn't necessarily a fan of Bono.

vsmf2010

Quote from: mkm13 on November 03, 2022, 06:58:41 AMNothing against Kyle, but this is a guy that has had a losing record both years as a starter and has a total of a couple points at NCAA's after 3 years in the program.  I can't see why UW or the coaches would prevent him from transferring to the point of being a recruiting headache.  It makes no sense.

This is an excellent point. Why would the coaches and administration create all this bad press and bad blood over a spot in the lineup where they were clearly trying to upgrade. Does not add up. Occam's razor.

bigoil

Quote from: vsmf2010 on November 03, 2022, 09:51:07 AM
Quote from: mkm13 on November 03, 2022, 06:58:41 AMNothing against Kyle, but this is a guy that has had a losing record both years as a starter and has a total of a couple points at NCAA's after 3 years in the program.  I can't see why UW or the coaches would prevent him from transferring to the point of being a recruiting headache.  It makes no sense.

This is an excellent point. Why would the coaches and administration create all this bad press and bad blood over a spot in the lineup where they were clearly trying to upgrade. Does not add up. Occam's razor.
Because they wouldn't, literally saying it is in the hands of the NCAA. That is not vague, if it were vague, the ncaa would respond don't throw us under the bud, we are waiting for your support. They have clearly acknowledged their support, even acknowledged by KB.

DocWrestling

This idiotic for anyone to think UW is holding this up and I think it is in very poor taste that Burwicks are blaming UW.

UW has fought with the NCAA on transfers in and knows the process.  They know the NCAA is always an issue.

Burwicks have no clue what is going on and are frustrated.  Everyone gets that but then you just lose fans and looks like idiots when you think UW can somehow have magic powers to make him eligible and thus call UW out on social media.

Good kid probably and good family throwing a 2 year old tantrum out in public.

The NCAA has a TON of rules and their are no laws saying colleges have to help adults although they do try to go out of their way to help their athletes because they are so complicated and they want their athletes to be and stay eligible.  With that said there is no way they are promoting all the rules on how to transfer.  They won't stand in the way but complaining that they did not help him know the deadlines to transfer is lunacy!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrestlemania

Curious why the blame is going towards UW and not the NCAA?

And the other state Bono can't recruit in besides North Dakota, let me guess - Wisconsin, right?

npope

While the UW may indeed be allowing KB to transfer without interference, with due respect to posters who might disagree, I do not see the UW's response to the Burwicks' statements as being clear, transparent and responsive. And let me say at the outset, the UW may indeed have acted with honor in this entire situation (I have no idea as to details). My point is that the UW's formal statement of response was vague and weak – they could do much better with the resources they have in house...which makes me suspicious of the content of the statement.

The Burwicks launched a scathing condemnation of the UW wrestling coaches and more broadly, the UW athletic program for their handling and timing for the recruiting of Lamont and subsequent informing of KB. The UW's formal response was a statement to the effect of "We wish KB well in his future athletic endeavors." Additionally, the UW's statement said that this matter is now in the hands of the NCAA. One poster also said that the Burwicks have subsequently stated something to the effect that they now better understand the situation (and realize that the UW was not the issue here). I have not been able to locate any such statement, but I would welcome the help of someone to educate me further as to the content of any such statement.

But In this day and age I think we all can be forgiven for being a bit jaded with these "formal" statements being made without challenge - our media personalities, politicians, and even sports heroes (see for example Aaron Rodgers) respond with well-calculated half-truths and insinuations to straightforward queries where, upon closer scrutiny of the response, we find deliberately misleading responses. So, why would a large public institution get a "free pass" when it makes unchallenged "statements of fact" when an aggrieved party claims otherwise?

In response to the Burwicks' scathing criticism of the athletic program in this matter, the UW's response was something to the effect of, "we wish KB well in his future athletic endeavors." Great, but that does not respond to the allegations made by the Burwicks that the UW was creating turbulence with the transfer. A more concrete response would have been, "The UW has released KB from any further obligations associated with the UW and we wish him well..." But that's not what they said – they said something else – something that fell short of complete explanation.

And indeed, the UW "literally" said that the matter is in the hands of the NCAA – and somehow some readers think that is new information. I am stunned with that conclusion. First of all, only one party to the issue is making the statement (which would likely deflect negative PR from that party) but also, that is stating the obvious – this has ALWAYS been in the hands of the NCAA – they can make all things happen (or not) in these situations. So, the announcement by the UW related to the Burwick situation, which I am certain was passed in front of legal counsel before being issued, stopped short of unequivocally stating that it has withdrawn all barriers to KB's transfer. Instead they merely said "we wish him well" – which was not a response to the Burwicks' allegations...and I wonder why the UW stopped short on a complete response? They could have put that baby to bed with a comprehensive response – but they didn't.

I don't find subsequent skepticism as to the actual implications of the statement to be "idiocy" at all, but rather, a well-contemplated and careful assessment as to what was actually stated.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

TomM

There are always three sides to every story. Your side, my side and the truth.

To my knowledge NONE of us are privy to the information from all three sides.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

STFM1

Everyone always wants to put the blame on someone else. First thing Burwick should have done is stick around and beat out Lamont instead of running from competition. Bono's job is to create competition and if he can't handle that, he will never make it in D1 wrestling. Seems to be the way in all sports these days! Instead of fighting a little harder and putting in more work, they just look for the easy route!

DocWrestling

The NCAA can make Burwick eligible for wrestling right now if they wanted to even if UW fought every step.  Let's not pretend any institution has the kind of power any more.  This is not a paperwork issue at UW.  That kind of control does not exist anymore as the NCAA took all the power and set new rules

Many athletes have complained and called out the NCAA and rightfully so in my opinion.  This is the first time I have seen an athlete make it personal and attack their past school which I don't think helps him in the least especially when the NCAA is there for the institutions and not the athletes.

The bad part is that the NCAA rules are much different for basketball and football than they are for all the other NCAA sports
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

dforsythe

Does Nebraska hold any responsibility in educating their transfers and making sure they are eligible?

TomM

Wisconsin wrestling signals support of Kyle Burwick's transfer to Nebraska but Burwick, Nebraska claim otherwise

https://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2022/11/wisconsin-wrestling-signals-support-of-kyle-burwicks-transfer-to-nebraska-burwick-nebraska-claim-otherwise

Wisconsin wrestling signals support of Kyle Burwick's transfer to Nebraska but Burwick, Nebraska claim otherwise

By Cole Wozniak
November 3, 2022 | 1:26pm CDT

Last June, Badger wrestler and redshirt sophomore Kyle Burwick announced he would be entering the transfer portal to leave the Wisconsin program. Earlier in May, Wisconsin signed Taylor LaMont, a sixth-year senior and former All-American who was expected to start at Burwick's weight class.

However, unbeknownst to Burwick, his entry into the transfer portal was over a month after the deadline of May 1 — meaning that Burwick would lose eligibility for the 2022-23 wrestling season.

Since then, Burwick has announced he will be transferring to Nebraska to wrestle for head coach Mark Manning. He is currently seeking a release from the University of Wisconsin-Madison athletic department to approve the transfer to Nebraska.

UW Athletics signaled in a statement on Twitter that their compliance staff has been working with Burwick and Nebraska to facilitate Kyle's ability to compete in Lincoln. They also announced that his eligibility for the 2022-23 season remained in the hands of the NCAA. Wisconsin head coach Chris Bono and other officials from UW have not made any other public statements regarding Burwick's transfer outside of this statement.

Still, Burwick and others close to the Nebraska program have taken to social media calling out UW's claims that they are supporting Burwick's transfer.

Burwick claims UW is not acting in good faith in the process of granting his eligibility. He said there is a release form that UW is knowingly delaying in signing.

Carrie Manning, wife of Nebraska's head coach Mark Manning, took to Facebook to claim that Wisconsin's press release was "smoke and mirrors" as they "refuse to sign the waiver" to allow Burwick to compete.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wrastle63

Quote from: STFM1 on November 04, 2022, 10:12:27 AMEveryone always wants to put the blame on someone else. First thing Burwick should have done is stick around and beat out Lamont instead of running from competition. Bono's job is to create competition and if he can't handle that, he will never make it in D1 wrestling. Seems to be the way in all sports these days! Instead of fighting a little harder and putting in more work, they just look for the easy route!
Exactly. The coaches looked for a transfer, because of lack of production(losing record last season). That would have given Burwick 1 year possibly on the bench or he could have moved up or down a weight. Lamont would be gone and Burwick still would have had 2 seasons of eligibility left and a full season training against Barnett, Lamont, Nicolar, Gross, Zargo, etc. Run from competition and then cry about how it isn't fair that you didn't follow the rules.

npope

If the UW is indeed putting obstacles in the way I think that is a bad look for the department and the wrestling program - just let the kid go with your blessings - nothing to be gained here by making it difficult. And even if they aren't making it difficult, just having someone publicly say the UW isn't facilitating the departure is a black-eye for the program.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

BuckyMatt

Quote from: npope on November 04, 2022, 11:53:06 AMIf the UW is indeed putting obstacles in the way I think that is a bad look for the department and the wrestling program - just let the kid go with your blessings - nothing to be gained here by making it difficult. And even if they aren't making it difficult, just having someone publicly say the UW isn't facilitating the departure is a black-eye for the program.

So if they did do something wrong it's a bad look and even if they didn't do anything wrong it's a black eye? Sounds like a lose-lose for the UW? And that is one of the perils of social media cancel culture. People can make claims and even without proof, you lose.

I'm curious why Kyle or Nebraska has not commented or replied to the Athletic Department press release?  Oftentimes, when making a claim, you get a response from the other side, and then you make a rebuttal of said response. That has not been done here.