Kyle Burwick/UW/Neb

Started by asdf, November 02, 2022, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdf

wrastle63

Willie posted that it isn't the UW coaches holding it up. Burwick didn't follow the regulations and did transfer late, which is unfortunate for him.

Gutwrench

If I'm understanding the tweet correctly, not only did Burwick first notify the coaching staff well after the deadline, but his decision to transfer was also after the May 1st deadline. I don't see how this is the UW coaches fault. Transferring isn't something new.  Athletes need to take ownership for knowing the rules.  Plus if I would think the UW coaching staff want all the wrestlers to stay on the team, including Burwick, so why would I as a coach promote the process to transfer out of the program? Now if Burwick told the coaches prior to the deadline that he was going to transfer, and then the coaches failed to help him through the process so that he didn't lose eligibility, then I can see an issue with that.

Like wrastle63 said, unfortunate for Burwick.  This seems like it should be a grievance with the NCAA deadline.  Going after the UW staff seems unfounded to me.

npope

If Burwick's post is accurate, the news of Lamont coming in to the UW only broke after May 1 - the deadline for entering the portal without penalty which means that Burwick could either burn a year with a transfer or hang with the Badgers and compete for the spot. Also, I am not sure whether the decision to allow him to transfer without penalty is solely up to the Badger coaches - it might be (I don't know), but Burwick seemed a little out of his depth with other portal information he "should" have been more familiar with if he was transferring.

That said, if the coaches indeed have the power to grant release without penalty, I would hope that they do - the kid is just trying to do what is best for him and I think coaches should embrace that as a guiding principle.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I presume Ethan Rotondo entered the portal before May 1st?
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

asdf

For those that dont have twitter:

-Yes, Willie tweeted out that its not the coaches fault.  He also tweeted right after that he said the same about Carter Young at NW last year and was wrong.
-Kyle and his father was since both tweeted out (and tagged Willie) since that the UW coaches did not inform kids that this May 1st timeline was a new rule this year.  They say they have it in writing.
-Kyle and his father also tweeted out they also have in writing that UW supports Kyle being eligible this semester but continue to do nothing about it.
-Willie also tweeted out that UW AD will release statement today.
-I'd say the comment section of Kyle's original tweet is 60/40 Team Burwick vs. Team UW.  Lots of big names chipping in, and story not going away.

-Only Burwick, UW and Coaches know the full story.  Either way, this does not help future recruiting. 

littleguy301

Just a bad deal here. I kind of blame Kyle for not looking up the rules. He also needs to take some responsibility for his career/actions/growth and so on. Rules are the rules here.

Maybe the coaches want Kyle as a room guy, sounds like they are giving him some support here. Though once an athletes wants to move on, kind of lost cause trying to keep him.

Best of luck to both sides on this one.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Well looks like Burwick was wrong about UW Coaches, UW AD and all. It is up to the NCAA as UW supports his transfer.

asdf

-Per Kyle Burwick post later today:
 "Additionally, in my NCAA waiver appeal case, UW has stated in writing that they support me being eligible and they had not informed the athletes. So, my statement is purely asking them to do the right thing. If they support my eligibility, this release form is the solution."

-His statement actually lines up with the vagueness of UW press release.  All UW said was they support him wrestling this fall and it is in NCAA hands.  They did not say they "took the appropriate steps for his release", or "followed the proper process to ensure Kyle ability to wrestle", etc.  To me that the UW statement was very weak. All UW had to say was "we support him, and UW did the necessary steps to let him transfer."  That second part was never said in the press release.

-On the flip side-Per Flo Transfer tracker, Ethan Rotondo applied to portal and announced transfer to Cal Poly on August 1st, 6 weeks after Burwick.  Plenty others also went into the portal after Burwick.  Point being plenty of athletes went into the portal after Burwick and are on rosters right now. 

-lots of people seem to care more about whose at fault, but again the ramifications on recruiting are huge.  Add North Dakota to yet another state Bono can't recuit.  The Memes on Twiter by ND wrestle and others are posting are pretty brutal towards UW.  Plus, Burwicks is a legend in the state and his father is a well respected coach.

bigoil

Quote from: asdf on November 02, 2022, 10:34:29 PM-Per Kyle Burwick post later today:
 "Additionally, in my NCAA waiver appeal case, UW has stated in writing that they support me being eligible and they had not informed the athletes. So, my statement is purely asking them to do the right thing. If they support my eligibility, this release form is the solution."

-His statement actually lines up with the vagueness of UW press release.  All UW said was they support him wrestling this fall and it is in NCAA hands.  They did not say they "took the appropriate steps for his release", or "followed the proper process to ensure Kyle ability to wrestle", etc.  To me that the UW statement was very weak. All UW had to say was "we support him, and UW did the necessary steps to let him transfer."  That second part was never said in the press release.

-On the flip side-Per Flo Transfer tracker, Ethan Rotondo applied to portal and announced transfer to Cal Poly on August 1st, 6 weeks after Burwick.  Plenty others also went into the portal after Burwick.  Point being plenty of athletes went into the portal after Burwick and are on rosters right now. 

-lots of people seem to care more about whose at fault, but again the ramifications on recruiting are huge.  Add North Dakota to yet another state Bono can't recuit.  The Memes on Twiter by ND wrestle and others are posting are pretty brutal towards UW.  Plus, Burwicks is a legend in the state and his father is a well respected coach.

How is this vague? "The decision to grant Kyle his eligibility for this season is in the hands of the NCAA."

What other alleged state can't UW recruit?

npope

Quote from: bigoil on November 03, 2022, 01:06:18 AMHow is this vague? "The decision to grant Kyle his eligibility for this season is in the hands of the NCAA."

What other alleged state can't UW recruit?

It's a bit vague to me, as well. "We support Burwick's wish to compete" and "We released him from any and all obligations to the UW so that he can compete" are not the same statement. This easily could have been the statement - but it wasn't...and I am sure that statement was passed in front of legal counsel before being released to the press.

That said, I don't know the minutia associated with the portal and releases, etc., but the UW's post leaves a lot to be desired in terms of removing ambiguity. The final decision as to whether Burwick can compete for someone else has ALWAYS been in the hands of the NCAA - they could override anything the UW may have done or not done - the UW post is just stating the obvious.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Healthy and happy

It is my understanding in the new transfer portal age, the student athlete has a lot of power and say in what that do.  They don't even have to let the coach know when/if they enter the portal.   There is no release required from the original institution.  Clearly the NCAA has rules and Kyle did not know them plus why didn't Nebraska let him know when they initially talked, that it was after May 1st and there are NCAA rules that may prevent you from wrestling this year??  Didn't UW have a similar issue with a Volleyball player who transferred in and Coach Sheffield stated he was frustrated with the NCAA for not releasing her at the start of the season?

mkm13

Nothing against Kyle, but this is a guy that has had a losing record both years as a starter and has a total of a couple points at NCAA's after 3 years in the program.  I can't see why UW or the coaches would prevent him from transferring to the point of being a recruiting headache.  It makes no sense.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: asdf on November 02, 2022, 10:34:29 PM-Per Kyle Burwick post later today:

Why would the University and the Coaches do something that would hurt recruiting??

The answer is they wouldn't.  They've done everything they can to help Kyle and it's in the NCAA's hands per the press release.  He needed to be in the portal by 5/1 and he wasn't.

In regards to Rotundo, he was a Graduate Transfer and they can transfer whenever they want.  Burwick was an undergraduate.

I truly hope Kyle gets to wrestle this year, he's a good kid!