Could Dean Hamiti make 157?

Started by BadgerOne, October 06, 2022, 09:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerOne

165 is easily the toughest weight in college and 157 looks to be one of the weakest after the two top 157 guys Carr and Monday moved up to 165.  Hamiti is ranked 6th in Flo at 165, behind O'Toole, Griffith, Carr, Monday and Amine and ahead of Karchla, Peyton Hall, Julian Ramirez, Patrick Kennedy and Alex Facundo.  At 157, Hamiti probably would be the top guy. Right now, Will Lewan is ranked first.   I have no idea how difficult 165 is for Hamiti to make, but if he could suck down to 157, I think he is the favorite.  I doubt this happens and if Hamiti could win at 165 that would be even more awesome, but O'Toole seems like a lot to overcome and if Hamiti can knock him off at the All-Star Event, then I am hoping he stays at 165, but if he gets dominated...maybe just maybe Dean might think about 157.  Sometimes a weight drop can make you elite. I remember when Seth Gross started off at 141 and he made it to round of 12, but then he dropped to 133 the next year and became a two time NCAA finalist and missed an opportunity to make it three because of the Covid year.

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 06, 2022, 09:53:15 AM165 is easily the toughest weight in college and 157 looks to be one of the weakest after the two top 157 guys Carr and Monday moved up to 165.  Hamiti is ranked 6th in Flo at 165, behind O'Toole, Griffith, Carr, Monday and Amine and ahead of Karchla, Peyton Hall, Julian Ramirez, Patrick Kennedy and Alex Facundo.  At 157, Hamiti probably would be the top guy. Right now, Will Lewan is ranked first.   I have no idea how difficult 165 is for Hamiti to make, but if he could suck down to 157, I think he is the favorite.  I doubt this happens and if Hamiti could win at 165 that would be even more awesome, but O'Toole seems like a lot to overcome and if Hamiti can knock him off at the All-Star Event, then I am hoping he stays at 165, but if he gets dominated...maybe just maybe Dean might think about 157.  Sometimes a weight drop can make you elite. I remember when Seth Gross started off at 141 and he made it to round of 12, but then he dropped to 133 the next year and became a two time NCAA finalist and missed an opportunity to make it three because of the Covid year.

I have zero inside information but my suspicion is that will not happen. Other folks have posted on the forum that they have seen DJ and he looks bigger this year than last year. He is a very young guy and is tall, has long arms and a large frame. If he changes weight classes, I would think he would be going up in weight.

Personally I love the idea of him wrestling in one of the toughest weight classes we have ever seen because he is crazy talented and I think he can beat anyone!

BadgerOne

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 06, 2022, 12:09:28 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 06, 2022, 10:36:26 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 06, 2022, 09:53:15 AM165 is easily the toughest weight in college and 157 looks to be one of the weakest after the two top 157 guys Carr and Monday moved up to 165.  Hamiti is ranked 6th in Flo at 165, behind O'Toole, Griffith, Carr, Monday and Amine and ahead of Karchla, Peyton Hall, Julian Ramirez, Patrick Kennedy and Alex Facundo.  At 157, Hamiti probably would be the top guy. Right now, Will Lewan is ranked first.   I have no idea how difficult 165 is for Hamiti to make, but if he could suck down to 157, I think he is the favorite.  I doubt this happens and if Hamiti could win at 165 that would be even more awesome, but O'Toole seems like a lot to overcome and if Hamiti can knock him off at the All-Star Event, then I am hoping he stays at 165, but if he gets dominated...maybe just maybe Dean might think about 157.  Sometimes a weight drop can make you elite. I remember when Seth Gross started off at 141 and he made it to round of 12, but then he dropped to 133 the next year and became a two time NCAA finalist and missed an opportunity to make it three because of the Covid year.

I have zero inside information but my suspicion is that will not happen. Other folks have posted on the forum that they have seen DJ and he looks bigger this year than last year. He is a very young guy and is tall, has long arms and a large frame. If he changes weight classes, I would think he would be going up in weight.

Personally I love the idea of him wrestling in one of the toughest weight classes we have ever seen because he is crazy talented and I think he can beat anyone!

Part of me relishes seeing Hamiti go against the elite 165, but I think it will tough for Hamiti to make the finals, let alone win it all.  At 157, he probably would be favored to win it all.  174, would be interesting too but I think Starocci may be an even bigger obstacle than O'Toole but I think making top 3 would be easier.  I'm hoping Dean can surprise and knock off O'Toole at the all-star event and then I think this thread is moot.

Armdrag

hmmmmmm run from competition?? really?? That, thank God, is not in the make up of these guys!!!!

rjchev141

Badgers would probably score more points at NCAAs in the scenario with DJ at 174.

onwisconsin

I strongly believe 174 is more likely than 157.  Can't wait to watch him scrap. 

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 06, 2022, 12:10:53 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 06, 2022, 12:09:28 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 06, 2022, 10:36:26 AM

Part of me relishes seeing Hamiti go against the elite 165, but I think it will tough for Hamiti to make the finals, let alone win it all.  At 157, he probably would be favored to win it all.  174, would be interesting too but I think Starocci may be an even bigger obstacle than O'Toole but I think making top 3 would be easier.  I'm hoping Dean can surprise and knock off O'Toole at the all-star event and then I think this thread is moot.
I think not just Starocci, but Mekhi Lewis. People forget, he was the one who stopped Vincenzo Joseph from his quest to be a 4X Champ(we then missed the rematch in 2020). Then goes up to 174 where there's a 2X Champ(who has a very legitimate chance at 5 Titles) and wrestles him as tough as anyone in the last couple years save for Kemerer.

In-between he's made it to the Quarters before having to default with what looked like an incredibly painful injury.

165 looks deeper, but '74 looks like the tougher weight to win. Plus, the kid was a true Freshmen last year. As others have said, he was long. If he's added muscle Going down may give him a higher chance to win, but I doubt it'd make him a better wrestler.

Whatever he does, based on his Freshmen year, it won't be boring.

onwisconsin

I hope to see DJ at 165. He does look much bigger than last season. If he does ever change weight classes I think it would have to be 174. 

bigoil

vsmf2010

Quote from: bigoil on October 17, 2022, 05:01:10 PMMonday just announced 157 today.
Bummer, I was looking forward to him wrestling DJ on 12/4. Probably a good decision for QM. He will probably be right there in the mix at 157 and I think he could have had a difficult time being an AA at 165.