Great Day to be a Badger!

Started by bigoil, October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tims

I know for a fact that The Badger coaches have been in the Madison AWA room in the last several months.  So let's at least dispel that they are not allowed in the room nonsense.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: Tims on October 05, 2022, 11:33:38 AMI know for a fact that The Badger coaches have been in the Madison AWA room in the last several months.  So let's at least dispel that they are not allowed in the room nonsense.
I have to believe you are 100% correct seeing that Patrick is a AWA coach according to their webpage.  Now if Ben or Maxx were there would they be allowed in the room?  According to what you are saying, I would hope so

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 03, 2022, 07:46:49 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 05:08:33 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 03, 2022, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 11:11:38 AM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 03, 2022, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 10:00:04 AM
Quote from: bigoil on October 03, 2022, 08:12:05 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 02, 2022, 05:17:50 PM
Quote from: bigoil on October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AMWell on the mat at least! Coach Bono with his famous catch phrase, had some great recruits in yesterday!

Anyone see Gomez BIG champ ring, so cool.

Hope so, but sometimes "great day" chimes turn out to be meh news or even bad news, so I won't get my hopes up.  I think there is plenty of scholarship money coming off the books to score three blue chippers.  Hopke, Davino and Mirasolas or Sinclair and three of them were brought in for Germany dual, so those are the three I hope Bono can land.  Davino and Hopke will be highly sought after, so hopefully its one of those guys.  I think getting either Sinclair or the Mirasolas is much easier and honestly, I'd expect Sinclair or Mirasolas to come to Madison.

Every person part of the team is important, there is no meh.

And how do you have bad news with someone joining the team?

Don't you understand that there is a 9.9 scholarship limit, so Bono must spend scholarship resources wisely.  When scholarship money goes to guys that don't justify the scholarship spend, it hurts the Badger wrestling team.  I'm not going to name names, but there obviously has been several misses by Bono. 

There you go again BadgerOne finding a way to bring what should be a positive post into a pot stirring, inference laden jab against Bono and his management of the team.

Quote from: bigoil on October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AMWell on the mat at least! Coach Bono with his famous catch phrase, had some great recruits in yesterday!

Hope so, but sometimes "great day" chimes turn out to be meh news or even bad news, so I won't get my hopes up.  I think there is plenty of scholarship money coming off the books to score three blue chippers.  Hopke, Davino and Mirasolas or Sinclair and three of them were brought in for Germany dual, so those are the three I hope Bono can land.  Davino and Hopke will be highly sought after, so hopefully its one of those guys.  I think getting either Sinclair or the Mirasolas is much easier and honestly, I'd expect Sinclair or Mirasolas to come to Madison.

Don't you understand that there is a 9.9 scholarship limit, so Bono must spend scholarship resources wisely.  When scholarship money goes to guys that don't justify the scholarship spend, it hurts the Badger wrestling team.  I'm not going to name names, but there obviously has been several misses by Bono. 

There you go again BadgerOne finding a way to bring what should be a positive post into a pot stirring, inference laden jab against Bono and his management of the team.

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury).  I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.

A couple of things. Gomez and EB both have eligibility beyond this season.

The 9.9 is definitely an issue but unless you have inside knowledge I am not sure how you know how much each athlete is getting from year to year. My understanding is this is evaluated each season and a S/A who may have gotten quite a bit to start with may not be getting that much the next year if they do not make the lineup or like you said are not worthy of what they were allotted. Conversely a walk-on may earn scholarship money and/or training table if they have made the lineup. It is also my understanding that some of the decommitting and transfer portal movement in college wrestling and possibly other scholarship sports is related to the reallocation of scholarship money.

One thing I did see regarding this was a rule change or potential rule change with transfers that does require a school that is receiving a transfer be required to honor the scholarship for a period of time so I am not sure how that will play out.
Yes, I know EB and AG have two years of eligibility, but the class of 2024 comes in the following year.   I believe scholarship money is granted for multiple years, so that if you give a recruit a full ride, I think that the athlete gets full ride money for up to 5 years if they redshirt.   I don't think a coach can lower the amount of scholarship money if the athlete doesn't live up to expectations as a wrestler. 

In regard to multi year scholarship offers in wrestling I was told otherwise by a badger assistant a few years back. Here are a few links to a few articles that back that up. With the exception of head count sports it seems that multi year offers are not the norm and scholarships are year to year.

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/how-to-get-recruited/scholarship-facts#:~:text=No%2C%20athletic%20scholarships%20are%20typically,combined%2C%20that's%20thousands%20of%20schools.&text=Learn%20about%20the%20different%20division%20levels.

https://www.sportsengine.com/recruiting/are-athletic-scholarships-guaranteed-4-years

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/ncsa-are-athletic-scholarships-guaranteed-for-four-years

https://www.2adays.com/blog/is-my-athletic-scholarship-guaranteed-it-depends/

I think that doesn't apply to the Big Ten. I think scholarships are guaranteed for the duration.  That has been my understanding for quite a while based on what I have heard and read.  See https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11666316/big-ten-guarantees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 05, 2022, 08:46:41 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 03, 2022, 07:46:49 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 05:08:33 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 03, 2022, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 03, 2022, 11:11:38 AM

I'm glad I'm taking up real estate inside your head. I think its hilarious that in your mind to be truthful and realistic makes one a villain. I didn't realize this forum is only for cheerleaders with pom poms. I hope Bono gets a nice recruiting class as he'll need it to be competitive as all the AAs except for Hamiti will be out of eligibility (barring injury).  I'll applaud Bono if he lands all of Hopke, Davino and Sinclair/Mirasola or other bluechippers of that level.  It appears Wisconsin will have a lot of scholarship money available for the Class of 2024, Wisconsin has a lot of high end talent and he has connections to a handful of bluechippers, so the stars are aligning and I expect Bono should be able to land a top flight class in 2024.

A couple of things. Gomez and EB both have eligibility beyond this season.

The 9.9 is definitely an issue but unless you have inside knowledge I am not sure how you know how much each athlete is getting from year to year. My understanding is this is evaluated each season and a S/A who may have gotten quite a bit to start with may not be getting that much the next year if they do not make the lineup or like you said are not worthy of what they were allotted. Conversely a walk-on may earn scholarship money and/or training table if they have made the lineup. It is also my understanding that some of the decommitting and transfer portal movement in college wrestling and possibly other scholarship sports is related to the reallocation of scholarship money.

One thing I did see regarding this was a rule change or potential rule change with transfers that does require a school that is receiving a transfer be required to honor the scholarship for a period of time so I am not sure how that will play out.
Yes, I know EB and AG have two years of eligibility, but the class of 2024 comes in the following year.   I believe scholarship money is granted for multiple years, so that if you give a recruit a full ride, I think that the athlete gets full ride money for up to 5 years if they redshirt.   I don't think a coach can lower the amount of scholarship money if the athlete doesn't live up to expectations as a wrestler. 

In regard to multi year scholarship offers in wrestling I was told otherwise by a badger assistant a few years back. Here are a few links to a few articles that back that up. With the exception of head count sports it seems that multi year offers are not the norm and scholarships are year to year.

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/how-to-get-recruited/scholarship-facts#:~:text=No%2C%20athletic%20scholarships%20are%20typically,combined%2C%20that's%20thousands%20of%20schools.&text=Learn%20about%20the%20different%20division%20levels.

https://www.sportsengine.com/recruiting/are-athletic-scholarships-guaranteed-4-years

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/ncsa-are-athletic-scholarships-guaranteed-for-four-years

https://www.2adays.com/blog/is-my-athletic-scholarship-guaranteed-it-depends/

I think that doesn't apply to the Big Ten. I think scholarships are guaranteed for the duration.  That has been my understanding for quite a while based on what I have heard and read.  See https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11666316/big-ten-guarantees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes

I stand corrected. My conversation with the assistant was prior to this being put in place and I apologize. I read some follow up articles and there appear to be a few loops holes but for the most part it does appear the Big Ten and the rest of the power 5 are offering scholarships for the duration as long as incoming freshman start with scholarship.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 04, 2022, 10:42:11 PM
Quote from: Numbers on October 04, 2022, 10:11:46 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 04, 2022, 05:14:41 PM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 02, 2022, 07:23:51 PM

3 Blue Chippers were in town this weekend and one of them so far committed!  It's a big get!  Great day indeed.

I must have missed the announcement as I didn't see any "blue chipper" commit unless your definition of "blue chipper" is vastly different than mine.
Well top 10 in your class would qualify as Blue Chipper IMO.

Some might say top 20/25/30.

But there will be multiple time AAs below 30 (and I hope the Badgers end up with 1 or 2 over the next few years!). Season tickets purchased.

I agree with your assessment pretty much.  I'd definitely call Braxton Amos, Dean Hamiti and Eric Barnett blue chippers, and probably James Rowley too and they are Bono's top high school recruits, and more like them would be welcome.  I give Bono more credit with transfers with Gross, Gomez and Lamont.  I wouldn't put Zargo or Rivera in the blue chip class, but there is something to work with in both guys and hopefully Bono can develop them to AA status.

What would you classify Rivera as?

I watched him...pretty much dominate the #5 overall rated recruit and a world medalist on his way to being named OW at the Cheesehead.

Christ, if that's a "meh" Wrestler, I can see why you're not real high on Bono. You may adjust your expectations as...doesn't seem like anyone outside of PSU and Ohio State's classes(on occasion) are up to the level you seem to require.

onwisconsin

[/quote]

What would you classify Rivera as?

I watched him...pretty much dominate the #5 overall rated recruit and a world medalist on his way to being named OW at the Cheesehead.

Christ, if that's a "meh" Wrestler, I can see why you're not real high on Bono. You may adjust your expectations as...doesn't seem like anyone outside of PSU and Ohio State's classes(on occasion) are up to the level you seem to require.
[/quote]

100% agree

BadgerOne

I would say Rivera is among Bono's best recruits (with Zargo) that wasn't ranked in top 30.  He did win Fargo one year and had a couple nice wins against Jesuroga and Ayala.  Its worth noting that he's a year older than Jesuroga.  He didn't get much respect from Flo-only 10th at weight and outside top 50 in his class.  While I wouldn't label him a blue chipper, he's a pretty good prospect and if he works hard, hopefully he can AA.

Redeemer

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 12, 2022, 04:14:36 PMI would say Rivera is among Bono's best recruits (with Zargo) that wasn't ranked in top 30.  He did win Fargo one year and had a couple nice wins against Jesuroga and Ayala.  Its worth noting that he's a year older than Jesuroga.  He didn't get much respect from Flo-only 10th at weight and outside top 50 in his class.  While I wouldn't label him a blue chipper, he's a pretty good prospect and if he works hard, hopefully he can AA.

Rivera is going to AA. No doubt.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on October 12, 2022, 04:14:36 PMI would say Rivera is among Bono's best recruits (with Zargo) that wasn't ranked in top 30.  He did win Fargo one year and had a couple nice wins against Jesuroga and Ayala. Its worth noting that he's a year older than Jesuroga. He didn't get much respect from Flo-only 10th at weight and outside top 50 in his class.  While I wouldn't label him a blue chipper, he's a pretty good prospect and if he works hard, hopefully he can AA.

Is it though? He was ranked #1 at his weight class. You've also "noted" that the Badgers will "only" have 1 returning AA...when Dean Hamiti is a Sr.

It seems like you make note of whatever undermines the program.

mkm13

Quote from: Redeemer on October 12, 2022, 09:08:03 PMRivera is going to AA. No doubt.

I think he has great potential, but I think Thielke, Amos, and many other highly ranked guys have shown how hard the transition is from high school to college.  He has a unique wrestling style, so it will be interesting how he transitions against the best guys.  I hope he is an AA type college wrestler!

Redeemer

Quote from: Vir Fortis on October 13, 2022, 02:56:53 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 12, 2022, 04:14:36 PMI would say Rivera is among Bono's best recruits (with Zargo) that wasn't ranked in top 30.  He did win Fargo one year and had a couple nice wins against Jesuroga and Ayala. Its worth noting that he's a year older than Jesuroga. He didn't get much respect from Flo-only 10th at weight and outside top 50 in his class.  While I wouldn't label him a blue chipper, he's a pretty good prospect and if he works hard, hopefully he can AA.

Is it though? He was ranked #1 at his weight class. You've also "noted" that the Badgers will "only" have 1 returning AA...when Dean Hamiti is a Sr.

Agree. A Negative Nelly on here. Let's make note of who is being negative and telling the Badger wrestlers they aren't very good.

Redeemer

Quote from: mkm13 on October 13, 2022, 06:39:47 AM
Quote from: Redeemer on October 12, 2022, 09:08:03 PMRivera is going to AA. No doubt.

I think he has great potential, but I think Thielke, Amos, and many other highly ranked guys have shown how hard the transition is from high school to college.  He has a unique wrestling style, so it will be interesting how he transitions against the best guys.  I hope he is an AA type college wrestler!

We understand JT liked Greco alot. Amos is just starting and will AA this season. Be positive. Obviously there is a chance of failure, but you can't focus on that.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Vir Fortis on October 13, 2022, 02:56:53 AM

Yes, because in high school age difference matters.  I'm trying to help some of you understand why Rivera is not ranked that highly by Flo, though I think he still is a good pickup.

wrastle63

To be fair Flo is not the best at ranking kids... look who is doing the rankings.

BadgerOne

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 13, 2022, 08:31:09 AMTo be fair Flo is not the best at ranking kids... look who is doing the rankings.

Sure, especially with Willie gone.  It works both ways.  IMHO, Rivera was underranked.  I can think of a few Badgers who were probably very overranked at the time of their commitment.  The only reason it matters is that there is limited scholarship money and I worry that Wisconsin might be overpaying scholly money on certain kids  and using up scholly funds so they can't be as competitive going after the elite or blue chippers.  Scholly money dried up necessating cutting all the resident RTC athletes and refunneling RTC raised money. Who is getting 9.9 scholly money plus all the RTC money? I can think of 6 guys deserving big money and a couple more deserving decent money, but if you try to allocate all the scholarships, you obviously have plenty of guys getting good scholarship money who aren't contributing or likely to contribute in the future towards team standing at NCAAs.  To be a consistent top program, good scholarship management is a gamechanger.