Great Day to be a Badger!

Started by bigoil, October 02, 2022, 07:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmoc33

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 14, 2022, 10:25:38 AM
Quote from: kmoc33 on October 14, 2022, 09:58:05 AMI would agree with most of that. The hard part is people see recruits coming in, but don't know how much they are getting. The transfer portal also throws a wrench in the scholarship thing and we have been very active in getting transfers with overall extremely good success! Will be interesting to see what the staff can do with 3 starters (Hillger, Lamont, and Model) all coming "off the books" this year. Bobzien is grey shirting so that will be part of that money, but who else can they get. 

this is a legit question and not meant to start arguments. As some of you know I have different rooting interests. But the transfer thing has been on my mind for a few years. Do you think this is why some WI. kids are choosing not to go to WI? I get it, it is a dilemna for coaches. Trying to win now and improve there team.  But the flip side is I will be replaced and the coach doesnt care about his recruits. This may not be the case at WI. but this is the preception it gives me. I know people are gonna say you have to earn your spot and I agree with that. I just think development and learning from mistakes is critical at that level.
Trying to win and improve your team is a bad thing now??? LOL  ::) Iowa getting Real Woods, Jaydin Eirman, and Austin Desanto, PSU getting Dean, Hildebrandt, Kerkvliet, etc must show they don't care about their wrestlers. 
[/quote]

never said that. specifically said I get it thats what a coach is trying to do.

npope

Quote from: kmoc33 on October 14, 2022, 09:58:05 AMthis is a legit question and not meant to start arguments. As some of you know I have different rooting interests. But the transfer thing has been on my mind for a few years. Do you think this is why some WI. kids are choosing not to go to WI? I get it, it is a dilemna for coaches. Trying to win now and improve there team.  But the flip side is I will be replaced and the coach doesnt care about his recruits. This may not be the case at WI. but this is the preception it gives me. I know people are gonna say you have to earn your spot and I agree with that. I just think development and learning from mistakes is critical at that level.

While some young guys are surprised when they get bumped out of the lineup because a new guy shows up, it really shouldn't come as a surprise; a coach has an obligation to endeavor to put out the ten best wrestlers he can get and if you aren't one of the ten best the coach can get in the room...your spot is up for grabs.
this is a legit question and not meant to start arguments. As some of you know I have different rooting interests. But the transfer thing has been on my mind for a few years. Do you think this is why some WI. kids are choosing not to go to WI? I get it, it is a dilemna for coaches. Trying to win now and improve there team.  But the flip side is I will be replaced and the coach doesnt care about his recruits. This may not be the case at WI. but this is the preception it gives me. I know people are gonna say you have to earn your spot and I agree with that. I just think development and learning from mistakes is critical at that level.
[/quote]
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

kmoc33

While some young guys are surprised when they get bumped out of the lineup because a new guy shows up, it really shouldn't come as a surprise; a coach has an obligation to endeavor to put out the ten best wrestlers he can get and if you aren't one of the ten best the coach can get in the room...your spot is up for grabs.

I agree with this. I guess when I asked the question I assumed this communication was not happening. That assumption could be wrong.

asdf

-To compare/contrast UW (or really any wrestling program) to IA or PSU in my opinion is just silly.  Those schools are on such a different level regarding recruitment, retention, $$, sponsorship, team culture, history, facilities, RTC, etc. To compare whether or not they are successful at transfers (or whatever subject) has absolutely no relevance to UW.

-I do think it is legit to question/wonder (that's what forums are for, right?) the effect these 1-2 year transfers have regarding recruitment of HS athletes into any DI program and also the effect it has on these "hired guns" placed into team dynamics,etc.

-Simple logic-if all things are equal, would a HS senior be more likely to commit to a program that retains, develops and sticks with the mass majority of kids they recruit out of HS or one that year in year out brings in a couple transfers to fill the lineup?

wrastle63

Quote from: kmoc33 on October 14, 2022, 11:53:03 AMWhile some young guys are surprised when they get bumped out of the lineup because a new guy shows up, it really shouldn't come as a surprise; a coach has an obligation to endeavor to put out the ten best wrestlers he can get and if you aren't one of the ten best the coach can get in the room...your spot is up for grabs.

I agree with this. I guess when I asked the question I assumed this communication was not happening. That assumption could be wrong.
You know what assuming does...

BuckyMatt

Quote from: kmoc33 on October 14, 2022, 09:58:05 AMI would agree with most of that. The hard part is people see recruits coming in, but don't know how much they are getting. The transfer portal also throws a wrench in the scholarship thing and we have been very active in getting transfers with overall extremely good success! Will be interesting to see what the staff can do with 3 starters (Hillger, Lamont, and Model) all coming "off the books" this year. Bobzien is grey shirting so that will be part of that money, but who else can they get. 

[/quote]

Missouri has 5 Transfers on their roster (Connor Brown, Cole Gripka, Joel Mylin, Brant Whitaker, Logan Gioffre)

Minnesota has 4 on their roster (Michael Blockhaus, Micahel Foy, Keuton Kleuver, Jared Krattiger)

Wisconsin has 3 in Austin Gomez and Lamont and Meicher

Ghetto

Connor Brown is in his 30s now, isn't he?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Tims

To be fair 4 of the 5 Missouri transfers are kids who wrestled HS in the state of Missouri.  So transferring to be closer to home imo should always be viewed separately.  Same as Kevin Miecher who started off at UM.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Tims on October 14, 2022, 04:22:27 PMTo be fair 4 of the 5 Missouri transfers are kids who wrestled HS in the state of Missouri.  So transferring to be closer to home imo should always be viewed separately.  Same as Kevin Miecher who started off at UM.

I stand corrected on Miecher, good catch.

And I disagree with you on viewing instate vs out of state transfers differently.  They are still wrestlers that could take another in state kids spot. Do you think the starting wrestler who loses their spot to a transfer cares if the kid wrestled in state vs out of state in high school?  Besides Northwestern, Wisconsin is the second closest high school to Austin Gomez's family.  Does that mean he's viewed differently?

Tims

Gomez could have gone to 3 schools in his home state that are closer to where he went to HS. Northern IL, Northwestern, and Univ of Illinois. So no I don't view him differently.  My point is not all kids coming out of the portal are equal. 

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Tims on October 14, 2022, 04:51:56 PMGomez could have gone to 3 schools in his home state that are closer to where he went to HS. Northern IL, Northwestern, and Univ of Illinois. So no I don't view him differently.  My point is not all kids coming out of the portal are equal. 

Mr. Mocco asked if kids aren't going to Wisconsin because they are worried about transfers coming in and taking their spot.  I pointed out with facts that Missouri, where you both have sons wrestling, has more transfers on their team than Wisconsin does.  Statistically speaking, there is a higher probability of a transfer taking a recruited-from-high-school wrestlers spot at Missouri than there is at Wisconsin.  And Glenbard North HS is 2 hours 51 minutes to Champaign.  It's 2 hours 7 minutes to Madison.

Tims

Oh wow you must drive slow.  My map says I can make it in 2 hours and 4 minutes. 8)

bigoil

By memory, most of their transfers have been plugged into the lineup where there were graduates (184) or no clear starters (125, 141, 149)

BadgerOne

Quote from: Vir Fortis on October 13, 2022, 07:32:44 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 13, 2022, 08:14:33 AM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on October 13, 2022, 02:56:53 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on October 12, 2022, 04:14:36 PMI would say Rivera is among Bono's best recruits (with Zargo) that wasn't ranked in top 30.  He did win Fargo one year and had a couple nice wins against Jesuroga and Ayala. Its worth noting that he's a year older than Jesuroga. He didn't get much respect from Flo-only 10th at weight and outside top 50 in his class.  While I wouldn't label him a blue chipper, he's a pretty good prospect and if he works hard, hopefully he can AA.

Is it though? He was ranked #1 at his weight class. You've also "noted" that the Badgers will "only" have 1 returning AA...when Dean Hamiti is a Sr.

It seems like you make note of whatever undermines the program.

Yes, because in high school age difference matters.  I'm trying to help some of you understand why Rivera is not ranked that highly by Flo, though I think he still is a good pickup.

He beat the #1 ranked Wrestler at all ages and he beat him soundly while dominating one of the tougher tournaments in the Country. Again, you can diminish it all you want, but it's kinda silly.

But sure...it matters. Then you'd think the Bono and the Badgers would get EXTRA credit from you for having the lone True Fresh AA last year...instead you literally pointed to that as a problem. They "only" have him coming back not the year after next, but I guess the year after that one?

Man, I hope you're stretching with some of these reaches.

That is not true.  I love everything about Dean Hamiti.  He is the team's MVP and fun to watch.  I give Bono credit for recruiting him.  But we need to get some more top ten guys if we want to compete for a podium finish.  I am hoping Braxton Amos makes a big jump this year.  Davino, Hopke and another top 10  or top 20 guy would help replace the guys leaving in next two years.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 14, 2022, 02:44:24 PM

Missouri has 5 Transfers on their roster (Connor Brown, Cole Gripka, Joel Mylin, Brant Whitaker, Logan Gioffre)

Minnesota has 4 on their roster (Michael Blockhaus, Micahel Foy, Keuton Kleuver, Jared Krattiger)

Wisconsin has 3 in Austin Gomez and Lamont and Meicher
[/quote]

I think it matters how it's done. Iowa just recruited over an incoming Freshmen who had a very good Freshmen year and has a legitimate chance to be an AA this year in Wyatt Henson...and they paid Woods to do it.

That'd be like getting Sinclair(24th) to come to Wisconsin...and then after he has an outstanding RS year, is competitive with AA caliber Wrestlers, then you put the full court press on and try and recruit an AA with 2 years left? I wouldn't love that.

To be fair though, as others have said, comparing anyone with Iowa or Penn State isn't really fair. I guess if Wisconsin gets to the point where they think a Real Woods gives them a better shot at a NC over a guy like Henson, then I guess maybe the equation changes.

That's ruthless. Gomez, you couldn't have really known what you were getting. Did anyone even know where he'd be wrestling? He was a '33, not he's a '49. It's gotta be a fine line as a HC.