Home Grown Roster

Started by BuckyMatt, September 06, 2022, 01:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuckyMatt

Just wanted to give Coach Bono and Coach Reader props for prioritizing the State of Wisconsin in building their Roster!

Looking at the website, it looks like over half (12/21 without freshman) the team is from Wisconsin.
https://uwbadgers.com/sports/wrestling/roster

Cool to see and I'm sure will make it that much more meaningful when they win a team trophy! 

bigoil

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 06, 2022, 01:19:23 PMJust wanted to give Coach Bono and Coach Reader props for prioritizing the State of Wisconsin in building their Roster!

Looking at the website, it looks like over half (12/21 without freshman) the team is from Wisconsin.
https://uwbadgers.com/sports/wrestling/roster

Cool to see and I'm sure will make it that much more meaningful when they win a team trophy! 

Looks like it will be 14/28 WI kids in the room this year!!

BadgerOne

I have a very different take.  Other than Eric Barnett, Wisconsin, is losing the best in-state recruits to other schools.  Who cares if the roster is mostly Wisconsin natives if none of them are blue chip prospects and don't produce at NCAAs?  Bono has to do much better in Wisconsin or the program will continue to be a middling Big Ten wrestling program.

Healthy and happy

Well Badger One... your take does have a few minor flaws in it.   First, no school gets all their state "blue chip prospects". West Virginia didn't get Braxton Amos, Illinois didn't get DJ Hamiti and the list can go on at UW along with all schools around the country.  Cale didn't get Spencer Lee to stay in PA.

Second, the best in state recruits don't always become great college wrestlers.  Look at most of the 4 time WI state champions over the last decade and what they have done on the college level.  Some kids ceiling is high school so defining a"blue chip" in HS and how they succeed in college is very hit or miss.   

Third, I know you understand how talented the Big Ten is in wrestling.  Middling in the toughest conference in the country is nothing to be ashamed of. The top schools in the Big Ten certainly have the best facilities and resources in the county.  Something I assume Bono is trying to improve. There are very good football programs that are "middling" in the SEC too.

Lastly, to get some of those "blue chip prospects", you need positive influences.  I assume you are talking about AWA club wrestlers not committing to UW. Unfortunately, it has been along time since AWA had many positive things to say about the UW wrestling program.  Eric Barnett is not an AWA club wrestler and is thriving at UW. Some AWA club wrestlers could easily to do the same at UW but realize not all AWA club wrestlers are going to be great college wrestlers and produce at NCAA's too. And that is ok, these are just young adults after all