Greyson Clark

Started by vsmf2010, August 25, 2022, 12:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlemania

"I personally never understood why people thought/expected that AWA would push/encourage their wrestlers towards Wisconsin".

The question is not about "pushing towards". I would agree it's not their responsibility. The question is
"steering away" and deliberately so out of personal spite. This has nothing to do with "styles".

By the way, nothing I've written hasn't been written by others in this forum and their information I use to offer my opinions since I admit I'm not as wired in as most are nor do I have children who wrestle. I'm just a fan, no more or less.

"This isn't just a Bono problem. Ben pulled the same stuff on Barry Davis, cutting him down, attacking him online. Yes I know, free country, he can do and say what he wants. But what worries me is that any coach at UW is going to come in for the same treatment unless the Askrens get what they want from that particular coach, and all it may well be is just a kiss of the ring. Well I don't think there is a good coach in the country who willingly come to UW and be forced to put up with it, especially if they themselves wrestled at the high levels and won gold medals or national championships. They would be like "What on earth? This guy got knocked out by Jake Paul and he's telling me how to do my job and telling his wrestlers to stay away from me? Who does he think he is?" I'm sure Bono wasn't anticipating it when he took the job in Madison."

This to me is the bigger problem and the main point I wish to offer. As I said it seems no matter who UW hires as a head coach well into the future, they're going to have to deal with this situation and it may keep talented coaches away from Madison because they DON'T want to deal with it. As a UW fan and alum, I desperately want to see Wisconsin be a success in wrestling but it's getting to the point, in my opinion, that's it's just not going to happen, not to a consistent team Big Ten/National Championship level that fans want. And the reasons are 1). Lack of money; 2). UWAD's administration of the program in terms of facilities, Title IX and compliance rules and 3). Disconnect between the University and the prep/club wrestling levels regardless who the coaches are. I mean, I went back and looked at old posts of mine from the late winter/early spring and we're in the fall talking about the same things. I talked about how UW may get shutout of supposed great Class of '24 and well be due to the influence of that "bag of milk". I've talked about how even with RTCs, the bottom line is the best ones are like the best college programs and are swimming in dough and when UW's RTC doesn't have that kind of money or the kind of donor base and you have to economize or spend in different ways people get upset and angry and how things are done and we get into all sorts of arguments about it. And these are not new problems, they are the same that the program has been dealing with for years and years, regardless of who is leading it. Limited resources limit what you can do and realistically accomplish.

I know Bono is trying to change this and he's doing the best he can. But it's become apparent we have a real division in the wrestling community in this state and no UW coach can be successful having to fight a rear-guard action, especially when it affects recruiting. And I'm on the record here stating that long term UW cannot succeed to the level it wishes to obtain with a roster of mostly out-of-state wrestlers or that its best wrestlers come exclusively from out-of-state. It makes it much harder and more expensive to recruit and makes depth a problem as well. But it's also become apparent there's a faction within the wrestling community in Wisconsin who really don't care the state's lone Division I program is a success or not, but love to criticize it if it's not whether it's missing out on recruits, having kids transfer or does not perform well on the mat. The nasty treatment and lack of respect Barry Davis got from this grouping still bothers me to this day.

AWA clubs and the Askrens seem to have have a lot of fans in the state who will defend them and their actions. That's fine. I'm being told I've "picked a side". Well I will not participate in a civil war or constant pretty bickering on an internet forum. I'm afraid I'm just going to have to resign myself that the situation is what it is as ridiculous as it may well be (what other state wrestling community is like this?) and every UW wrestling season just hope for the best but not hope too much to get let down. It's sad but what can you do? UW wrestling is chained down from what it could be by a lot of things and sadly that looks like it hasn't changed much since Bono took over despite his best efforts. Maybe in my lifetime a Wisconsin-kid will be a national champion wrestler for UW but I'm not going to hold my breath.

littleguy301

Quote from: Ernie1964 on October 04, 2022, 04:25:33 PMMy name is Ernie Millard and I have been watching this thread closely, opting not to participate until I saw the individual who goes by wrestlemania refer to certain wrestlers not interested in Madison as "punks."  Based upon that person's previous comments in that statement, I inferred that they were talking about AWA kids.  If I am incorrect, I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

1--These are great kids, who have worked incredibly hard to become the quality wrestlers and people they are.  Some of them are blue chip recruits and it is true that most of do not have Wisconsin as one of their schools of choice. None of them have made any attempt to inappropriately influence the coaches at Wisconsin or force their will upon the university.  They owe Wisconsin nothing, just as the university owes them nothing.

2--I know Ben and Max Askren personally.  I consider Ben to be a friend and Max to be one of my best friends.  They (Max more than Ben) have worked with my son Charlie for the last 11 years.  Ben has a social media presence I sometimes wish would mellow, but he is an incredible coach and better person, who is approachable, intelligent and caring.  Next to my wife and I, Max is the most important person in Charlie's life.  Lisa and I both love him, because he not only makes our son a better wrestler, he demands he become a better person every day.

3--I also know Chris Bono and Jon Reader personally.  I consider Jon Reader to be a friend. I do not know Chris as well, but have talked with him on several occasions, both on the phone and in person, and gotten along well.  Chris and Jon have actually been at my home and I have enjoyed spending time with them.  They are high energy, passionate individuals who are dedicated to making the University of Wisconsin a great team.

4--It is absolutely correct that the Askren brothers and Chris Bono do not care for each other.  I have talked with both sides at length and do not think the odds are very good that they will ever get along. 

5--There are AWA kids who wrestle at Madison.  Jared Krattiger, Cody Goebel, Aidan Medora and Liam Hughes are all AWA kids who have been on the team in the last four years.  I was in the room the day Liam was given the invitation to become a Badger and Ben Askren was the person congratulating him in front of everyone.  He was sincerely happy for Liam.  The argument that Ben and Max do not allow their wrestlers to go to Madison is at best uninformed and at worst, an outright lie.  They do help evaluate the personal strengths and weaknesses of their kids and encourage them to find schools that mesh with them.

6-I stand by every word I have just written and put my name on the top of this.  I cannot stand anonymity.  It emboldens those who don't have the fortitude or the integrity to stand by their words.  We would be far better off if everyone had to state their name before posting.

7-My personal email address is emillard42@yahoo.com.  If you ever want to have a rational conversation, you can contact me there.  If it seems that a productive conversation can take place, I will even give you my cell phone number and we can talk.

Sincerely,

Ernie Millard

Nice post
Dave
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Vir Fortis

Quote from: wrestlemania on October 04, 2022, 08:58:18 PM"certain wrestlers not interested in Madison as "punks."  Based upon that person's previous comments in that statement, I inferred that they were talking about AWA kids.  If I am incorrect, I apologize for jumping to conclusions."

You are incorrect. I didn't call the AWA wrestlers "punks". I would never do that. I called their club coaches punks because with careful consideration of evidence that I have seen over the years, I just can't draw any other conclusion.

That was how I read it. I never read it as you calling the athletes punks, rather the(a) coach.

It seems more like it's one ego vs the UW program across multiple coaches and staffs.