Greyson Clark

Started by vsmf2010, August 25, 2022, 12:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkm13

Can the RTC be involved with helping obtain NIL deals for student athletes?

factfinder

Quote from: mkm13 on September 10, 2022, 02:40:24 PMCan the RTC be involved with helping obtain NIL deals for student athletes?
With the NCAA pulling back on the rules the question is, what will the University compliance officer say. Its truly different at every university! (Hopefully the WIAA will follow the lead)
Question: Why would the none profit RTC thats trying to fundraise to continue to operate get a donation/NIL deal for an athlete? That takes funds out of the RTC.
NCAA Coaches are prohibited from being involved in securing NIL deals for student athletes, But RTC coaches are not typically university employees so its a grey area.

mkm13

A lot of RTC's grew in popularity due to their benefit to college wrestling programs.  That is the reason many RTCs received significant donations.  With NIL, that changes everything.

I am guessing most contributions going forward will be to current or future athletes and not graduates looking to compete at the highest level.  That is not specific to WI, but everywhere.  I would guess this will impact the US senior level team, or at a minimum the depth going forward as not as many guys/women will be able to focus on just wrestling. 

I am curious how we will handle the RTC vs NIL.  I personally hope they focus their efforts on NIL and making the UW team as good as possible.

factfinder

Quote from: mkm13 on September 10, 2022, 03:28:51 PMA lot of RTC's grew in popularity due to their benefit to college wrestling programs.  That is the reason many RTCs received significant donations.  With NIL, that changes everything.

I am guessing most contributions going forward will be to current or future athletes and not graduates looking to compete at the highest level.  That is not specific to WI, but everywhere.  I would guess this will impact the US senior level team, or at a minimum the depth going forward as not as many guys/women will be able to focus on just wrestling. 

I am curious how we will handle the RTC vs NIL.  I personally hope they focus their efforts on NIL and making the UW team as good as possible.

Penn St and Iowa hand out the smallest scholarships do to the depth of their talent and Penn St has the stiffest rules when it comes to NIL deals so not all athletes are running to the cash. But to your point Ohio is putting out more cash then anyone and they are getting a lot of blue chips, they just are not developing them as well as they they should the next two years will be telling. Ohio should run away with the Big 10 for the next 5 years, at least on paper.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: asdf on September 08, 2022, 09:42:23 PMBeing completely honest and not snarky--What does the WRTC even do besides fundraisers?

-Look at their website-Nick Becker is the main page pic, wearing an AWA logo singlet.  Don't think he has wrestled for RTC in years...The coaches listed are Newt and Gross (neither in WRTC singlets). No other senior athletes listed.  I don't think it has been updated in years.  Besides occasional tweets on fundraisers, absolutely no social media presence.  Do they have any athletes besides the UW staff and kids?
-Nearly every other Big Ten RTC has senior athletes on staff, HS practices listed and consistent Social media presence.  Heck, Maryland DMV RTC has just as many World Team Athletes as WRTC...Maryland has yet to win a Big Ten Dual.
-Website has qualifications for membership/practice, but I can't recall the last time they posted or have had a HS practice.  Heck I somehow get posts on Twitter about the upcoming U of Buffalo Bulls RTC schedule, but never seen a practice schedule from WRTC.
-Great that Gross/Amos made World team.  But how can the RTC even take credit for that?  Has the RTC brought in anyone other then current UW wrestlers?  How much are they funding them?  Gross registered as Sunkist, not WRTC, right?
-The WRTC doesn't even sell garb does it?  Easy money.
-Pretty much all the RTC's do some great volunteer activities.  I know Erin G did some things with BTS-Chicago before they cut the program, but anything new?

I am truly not trying to start a whine fest...I was a Legend Donor for 1 year, but stopped few years back to shift my donations to Beat the Streets National and City Kids in Milw.  I am truly curious where the WRTC is going and what it is doing.  I am hoping I am just out of the loop, but guess I am saying that maybe being more transparent includes telling people what you are even doing.

Seeing the original post is about Greyson, I guess I'll put my 2 cents in there also---I can't remember seeing his father NOT wearing UW gear.  Seems the family has been all in on UW for years. Greyson is a great kid and overall I believe this is a huge loss for UW.  Both in losing a great wrestler, but also will have ripple effects both in State and Nationally.  Try to diminish it all you want, but yet again one of the best wrestlers in the state looks like he will be going elsewhere.

I am NOT a Ben Askren fan, but sooner or later true fans of UW wrestling will need to stop blaming him and look at those that have the power to truly recruit these great in state kids.  Rumor has it his club is not the only one sour on Bono.

The WRTC's mission is to help athletes become state, national, and world champions.  To that extent, we provide training sites, coaching, workout partners, and financial assistance to do so.  Fundraising is a huge part of this, hence our emphasis on that. I have heard both Seth as well as Braxton credit multiple times the WRTC for helping them achieve their goals.  Here is a rokfin video of Braxton doing that from yesterday:
https://rokfin.com/post/98971/Braxton-Amos-talks-on-the-morning-before-the-world-championships-

I think our website and social media content is strong.  Could it be improved?  I'm sure every account could if you knit pick at it enough. I've appreciated this thread as a way to learn friction points with what the RTC can improve on!  We will take a lot of these ideas and thoughts in the future to improve on!

The emergence of NIL has also thrown a new wrinkle into college programs and RTC's.  We are committed to working with UW compliance to make sure that everything we do here is of the highest integrity and always in line with the University and its rules. Integrity is a huge part of the RTC as well as the college program!

Couldn't be a better time to be a Badger!  The future is very bright!

-Matt Deadman

bigoil

Quote from: factfinder on September 11, 2022, 07:45:36 AM
Quote from: mkm13 on September 10, 2022, 03:28:51 PMA lot of RTC's grew in popularity due to their benefit to college wrestling programs.  That is the reason many RTCs received significant donations.  With NIL, that changes everything.

Penn St and Iowa hand out the smallest scholarships do to the depth of their talent and Penn St has the stiffest rules when it comes to NIL deals so not all athletes are running to the cash. But to your point Ohio is putting out more cash then anyone and they are getting a lot of blue chips, they just are not developing them as well as they they should the next two years will be telling. Ohio should run away with the Big 10 for the next 5 years, at least on paper.
And much of that is coming from an apparel company, Rudis tOSU and a head gear company CK - Mich.

PSU has the deepest pockets, Iowa second, tax forms are public. They are most assuredly in the NIL game as reports indicate some athletes getting big dollars - RBY as I've seen twitter report. 
WRTC is in the game and needs all of our help to help keep the Badgers near the top and get to that medal stand.

We'd also like to keep the likes of Hilger, Lamont, Gomez etc as they graduate and want to continue competing or coaching.

mkm13

I would be very surprised if the better Iowa and PSU wrestlers are not getting NIL deals at some level.  RBY openly said he would only come back if it was financially worth it (NIL deals).  He is back.

asdf

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 11, 2022, 12:14:16 PM
Quote from: asdf on September 08, 2022, 09:42:23 PMBeing completely honest and not snarky--What does the WRTC even do besides fundraisers?

-Look at their website-Nick Becker is the main page pic, wearing an AWA logo singlet.  Don't think he has wrestled for RTC in years...The coaches listed are Newt and Gross (neither in WRTC singlets). No other senior athletes listed.  I don't think it has been updated in years.  Besides occasional tweets on fundraisers, absolutely no social media presence.  Do they have any athletes besides the UW staff and kids?
-Nearly every other Big Ten RTC has senior athletes on staff, HS practices listed and consistent Social media presence.  Heck, Maryland DMV RTC has just as many World Team Athletes as WRTC...Maryland has yet to win a Big Ten Dual.
-Website has qualifications for membership/practice, but I can't recall the last time they posted or have had a HS practice.  Heck I somehow get posts on Twitter about the upcoming U of Buffalo Bulls RTC schedule, but never seen a practice schedule from WRTC.
-Great that Gross/Amos made World team.  But how can the RTC even take credit for that?  Has the RTC brought in anyone other then current UW wrestlers?  How much are they funding them?  Gross registered as Sunkist, not WRTC, right?
-Pretty much all the RTC's do some great volunteer activities.  I know Erin G did some things with BTS-Chicago before they cut the program, but anything new?

I am truly not trying to start a whine fest...I was a Legend Donor for 1 year, but stopped few years back to shift my donations to Beat the Streets National and City Kids in Milw.  I am truly curious where the WRTC is going and what it is doing.  I am hoping I am just out of the loop, but guess I am saying that maybe being more transparent includes telling people what you are even doing.

Seeing the original post is about Greyson, I guess I'll put my 2 cents in there also---I can't remember seeing his father NOT wearing UW gear.  Seems the family has been all in on UW for years. Greyson is a great kid and overall I believe this is a huge loss for UW.  Both in losing a great wrestler, but also will have ripple effects both in State and Nationally.  Try to diminish it all you want, but yet again one of the best wrestlers in the state looks like he will be going elsewhere.

I am NOT a Ben Askren fan, but sooner or later true fans of UW wrestling will need to stop blaming him and look at those that have the power to truly recruit these great in state kids.  Rumor has it his club is not the only one sour on Bono.

The WRTC's mission is to help athletes become state, national, and world champions.  To that extent, we provide training sites, coaching, workout partners, and financial assistance to do so.  Fundraising is a huge part of this, hence our emphasis on that. I have heard both Seth as well as Braxton credit multiple times the WRTC for helping them achieve their goals.  Here is a rokfin video of Braxton doing that from yesterday:
https://rokfin.com/post/98971/Braxton-Amos-talks-on-the-morning-before-the-world-championships-

I think our website and social media content is strong.  Could it be improved?  I'm sure every account could if you knit pick at it enough. I've appreciated this thread as a way to learn friction points with what the RTC can improve on!  We will take a lot of these ideas and thoughts in the future to improve on!

The emergence of NIL has also thrown a new wrinkle into college programs and RTC's.  We are committed to working with UW compliance to make sure that everything we do here is of the highest integrity and always in line with the University and its rules. Integrity is a huge part of the RTC as well as the college program!

-Matt Deadman

Thanks for the update, great to hear directly from a Board Member of the RTC.  Also great to see you state RTC is dedicated to help athletes become State Champions.  Quick question-Are there HS practices at the RTC for those eligible?  Last of anything I can find is the website stating no more HS practices and that was in March of 2020.

Thanks again.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: asdf on September 19, 2022, 06:27:53 PM

-Matt Deadman

Thanks for the update, great to hear directly from a Board Member of the RTC.  Also great to see you state RTC is dedicated to help athletes become State Champions.  Quick question-Are there HS practices at the RTC for those eligible?  Last of anything I can find is the website stating no more HS practices and that was in March of 2020.

Thanks again.

High School practices havn't started back up again.  They were having them frequently and with Covid, stopped.  Hope to get those started in the future again!

BadgerOne

-Matt Deadman

What exactly did the WRTC provide in terms of support for Seth Gross at World Trials?  His training partner was Joey McKenna from Penn RTC and his personal coach was outside the WRTC.  I believe Seth wrestles for Sunkist Kids who likely footed his travel expenses.  I hope Bono and Gross can work out any problems as Seth is a great asset for the Badgers, but I worry like another poster that this could be another McDonough divorce situation.

Vir Fortis

I'm not sure that's the case anymore with Penn State. Just from glancing at some message boards in the last year, their AD, the one who was kinda limiting the NIL deals, she has since resigned and they've brought in a new AD...and I'm fairly certain RBY was one of the kids who got a pretty handsome NIL deal.

TomM

I'm fairly certain, after hearing a presentation during the 2022 NCAA tournament, the Penn State Alumni have a plan to set up some sort of a huge 'umbrella' (my terminology, not theirs) NIL for kids in the program. I have no other details.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

roughandtough

Saw on twitter  Greyson will be announcing his college decision live on the WIwrestle podcast Wednesday at 10 am.  The post says top three Minnesota, Pitt, Purdue

BadgerOne

Greyson Clark chose Purdue.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: roughandtough on September 26, 2022, 09:50:33 AMSaw on twitter  Greyson will be announcing his college decision live on the WIwrestle podcast Wednesday at 10 am.  The post says top three Minnesota, Pitt, Purdue

Well, that sucks...for most Badgers fans. I'm sure there is...well, at least ONE Badger "fan" who's happy about it.

As always, I hope the kid has success at the next level, but that stings.

I like seeing more training centers which leads to better talent. It was long believed that a lot of Minnesota's success was attributed to so many of their schools and so much talent around the Twin Cities and good club Wrestling. I'd doubt those clubs were actively working at cross purposes with the states flagship University(just the opposite actually) but such is life.