Greyson Clark

Started by vsmf2010, August 25, 2022, 12:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

doing what is best for the program is sneaky? Does an NFL Coach or GM ever tell you everything that goes on in the lockerroom, practice, etc? Never, what does the Coach have to gain by coming out with a statement.

imwi

Quote from: bigoil on September 07, 2022, 10:51:44 AMdoing what is best for the program is sneaky? Does an NFL Coach or GM ever tell you everything that goes on in the lockerroom, practice, etc? Never, what does the Coach have to gain by coming out with a statement.

I'm not in the "sneaky" camp but I do think there should be some transparency.  Donors should be informed what's going on with their donations and when major changes are made and people let go, an announcement of some type should be made.

BadgerOne

Yeah, I'm not a fan of cutting the Women's program.  The Badgers had world-class women athletes who I don't think were paid much to train here and I loved seeing women get some opportunities and they represented the WRTC well.  I suspect the money will be rerouted into NIL money to just add depth to try to cover for Bono's underwhelming recruiting.

BadgerOne

Quote from: imwi on September 07, 2022, 05:20:45 PM
Quote from: bigoil on September 07, 2022, 10:51:44 AMdoing what is best for the program is sneaky? Does an NFL Coach or GM ever tell you everything that goes on in the lockerroom, practice, etc? Never, what does the Coach have to gain by coming out with a statement.

I'm not in the "sneaky" camp but I do think there should be some transparency.  Donors should be informed what's going on with their donations and when major changes are made and people let go, an announcement of some type should be made.

Agreed.  I wasn't even aware when it happened until I saw a post on this forum.  If I were a major donor and a supporter of the women's program within the WRTC, I'd be peeved.  I can't share my private conversations here, but I think some of the WRTC committee have made a misguided decision and are trying to convince this "best for the long term" nonsense.  I suspect that Chris Bono wanted the women's program axed and convinced members of the committee to take action. Hopefully, donors speak with their wallet and the WRTC reverses this decision.

bigoil

Well the program has 2 athletes in the world championships, and you have been a poster for 1 day. 2>1!

Why would donors pull money with the success of the RTC and Badgers program. Have you heard, 5 AA's returning, 2 wrestlers in the World Championships? Get your wallet out and support the Badgers.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: BadgerOne on September 07, 2022, 08:32:31 PM

Agreed.  I wasn't even aware when it happened until I saw a post on this forum.  If I were a major donor and a supporter of the women's program within the WRTC, I'd be peeved.  I can't share my private conversations here, but I think some of the WRTC committee have made a misguided decision and are trying to convince this "best for the long term" nonsense.  I suspect that Chris Bono wanted the women's program axed and convinced members of the committee to take action. Hopefully, donors speak with their wallet and the WRTC reverses this decision.

Welcome to the forum Badger One. Since you just registered yesterday and all 3 of your posts bash Bono, you obviously have an agenda. Since TomM has been alerting us of duplicate accounts, will be interesting if your account is tied to another profile and you are just trying to cause issues?

I'm sorry that you feel that way about our decision making as an RTC board.  I'm not going to convince you one way or another about our reasoning based on your agenda.

And donors did speak with their wallets, our golf fundraiser two weeks ago netted the most money ever.

And for the record, I respect IMWI's view about the RTC being more transparent with decision announcements and will personally try to do that in the future

-Matt

BadgerOne

Quote from: bigoil on September 07, 2022, 09:39:22 PMWell the program has 2 athletes in the world championships, and you have been a poster for 1 day. 2>1!

Why would donors pull money with the success of the RTC and Badgers program. Have you heard, 5 AA's returning, 2 wrestlers in the World Championships? Get your wallet out and support the Badgers.

Seth Gross is a coach and Braxton Amos is a student athlete, so they would be in Serbia anyways, with or without the WRTC.  I am looking forward to the Badgers this coming year (but what does that have to do with the WRTC?)

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 07, 2022, 09:50:42 PMWelcome to the forum Badger One. Since you just registered yesterday and all 3 of your posts bash Bono, you obviously have an agenda. Since TomM has been alerting us of duplicate accounts, will be interesting if your account is tied to another profile and you are just trying to cause issues?

-Matt

That is kinda strange. It's almost as if people have an old axe to grind and just KEEP kicking that horse. No matter how dead and bloated he is(actually...by now, it's pretty much dust and bones).

I'm glad some people aren't just blindly bashing the program though. That's a good thing.

Troy Grindle

Bucky is going to be really good this year.  Bono is making some pretty good strides within the program and the badgers aren't just recruiting state wide.  If you want to be a top 10 program you have to get top level kids.  Greyson is a top level kid, he just is looking at other options.  It happens sometimes, more often when a athlete commits early.
And then there was that.

bigoil

Quote from: BadgerOne on September 07, 2022, 11:19:31 PM
Quote from: bigoil on September 07, 2022, 09:39:22 PMWell the program has 2 athletes in the world championships, and you have been a poster for 1 day. 2>1!

Seth Gross is a coach and Braxton Amos is a student athlete, so they would be in Serbia anyways, with or without the WRTC.  I am looking forward to the Badgers this coming year (but what does that have to do with the WRTC?)

Where do you think these athletes practice, who coaches them, brings in practice partner, etc.

The WRTC does that!

imwi

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 07, 2022, 09:50:42 PM

Welcome to the forum Badger One. Since you just registered yesterday and all 3 of your posts bash Bono, you obviously have an agenda. Since TomM has been alerting us of duplicate accounts, will be interesting if your account is tied to another profile and you are just trying to cause issues?

I'm sorry that you feel that way about our decision making as an RTC board.  I'm not going to convince you one way or another about our reasoning based on your agenda.

And donors did speak with their wallets, our golf fundraiser two weeks ago netted the most money ever.

And for the record, I respect IMWI's view about the RTC being more transparent with decision announcements and will personally try to do that in the future

-Matt

Thank you

asdf

Being completely honest and not snarky--What does the WRTC even do besides fundraisers?

-Look at their website-Nick Becker is the main page pic, wearing an AWA logo singlet.  Don't think he has wrestled for RTC in years...The coaches listed are Newt and Gross (neither in WRTC singlets). No other senior athletes listed.  I don't think it has been updated in years.  Besides occasional tweets on fundraisers, absolutely no social media presence.  Do they have any athletes besides the UW staff and kids?
-Nearly every other Big Ten RTC has senior athletes on staff, HS practices listed and consistent Social media presence.  Heck, Maryland DMV RTC has just as many World Team Athletes as WRTC...Maryland has yet to win a Big Ten Dual.
-Website has qualifications for membership/practice, but I can't recall the last time they posted or have had a HS practice.  Heck I somehow get posts on Twitter about the upcoming U of Buffalo Bulls RTC schedule, but never seen a practice schedule from WRTC.
-Great that Gross/Amos made World team.  But how can the RTC even take credit for that?  Has the RTC brought in anyone other then current UW wrestlers?  How much are they funding them?  Gross registered as Sunkist, not WRTC, right?
-The WRTC doesn't even sell garb does it?  Easy money.
-Pretty much all the RTC's do some great volunteer activities.  I know Erin G did some things with BTS-Chicago before they cut the program, but anything new?

I am truly not trying to start a whine fest...I was a Legend Donor for 1 year, but stopped few years back to shift my donations to Beat the Streets National and City Kids in Milw.  I am truly curious where the WRTC is going and what it is doing.  I am hoping I am just out of the loop, but guess I am saying that maybe being more transparent includes telling people what you are even doing.

Seeing the original post is about Greyson, I guess I'll put my 2 cents in there also---I can't remember seeing his father NOT wearing UW gear.  Seems the family has been all in on UW for years. Greyson is a great kid and overall I believe this is a huge loss for UW.  Both in losing a great wrestler, but also will have ripple effects both in State and Nationally.  Try to diminish it all you want, but yet again one of the best wrestlers in the state looks like he will be going elsewhere.

I am NOT a Ben Askren fan, but sooner or later true fans of UW wrestling will need to stop blaming him and look at those that have the power to truly recruit these great in state kids.  Rumor has it his club is not the only one sour on Bono.

factfinder

Hardly any RTC programs have women.
The whole point of an RTC is to build Sr level athletes while enhancing the level of the team through high level partners. I am not sure how paying for women to train help with that? thats just less athletes you can have/hire in the room to train with your team. Do the Badges currently even have a Sr level mens team? Maybe they are trying to build that first. It takes 400k to 600k a year to have 5-8 sr athletes and a coach like (Penn st, Mich, Minn, Rutgers, Neb, Iowa) all have. Most of those Sr athletes come out of there program and stick around another 4-6 years. Rumors are that the average Sr athlete make around 70k a year and head coach around 100k so paying for Sr level women to train hurts your fundraising.
Now if you had a women's team the need for a women's RTC would be legit even though college women's wrestling is actually Freestyle so that could be a conflict. The reason men's teams can have a RTC is its supporting a different sport (Freestyle/Greco) NOT folk style, so as women's wrestling grows its uncertain if they will be able to have an RTC out of season.

ckwrestler

Quote from: factfinder on September 09, 2022, 07:20:41 AM

The whole point of an RTC is to build Sr level athletes while enhancing the level of the team through high level partners. I am not sure how paying for women to train help with that? thats just less athletes you can have/hire in the room to train with your team. Do the Badges currently even have a Sr level mens team? Maybe they are trying to build that first. It takes 400k to 600k a year to have 5-8 sr athletes and a coach like (Penn st, Mich, Minn, Rutgers, Neb, Iowa) all have. Most of those Sr athletes come out of there program and stick around another 4-6 years. Rumors are that the average Sr athlete make around 70k a year and head coach around 100k so paying for Sr level women to train hurts your fundraising.
Now if you had a women's team the need for a women's RTC would be legit even though college women's wrestling is actually Freestyle so that could be a conflict. The reason men's teams can have a RTC is its supporting a different sport (Freestyle/Greco) NOT folk style, so as women's wrestling grows its uncertain if they will be able to have an RTC out of season.

So why did they have a women's team in the first place? I'm not sure if you're asking that question, or defending their decision to eliminate the program.

factfinder

Quote from: ckwrestler on September 10, 2022, 09:05:01 AM
Quote from: factfinder on September 09, 2022, 07:20:41 AM

So why did they have a women's team in the first place? I'm not sure if you're asking that question, or defending their decision to eliminate the program.

BOTH.
They were trying it and "I assume" they learned it wasn't helping the team and was a drain on limited resources.