Greyson Clark

Started by vsmf2010, August 25, 2022, 12:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

JMO, Bono needs to repair the relation with Ben and AWA

npope

Quote from: dad 2 5 on September 04, 2022, 01:01:48 PMJMO, Bono needs to repair the relation with Ben and AWA
The forum has always been very tight-lipped when it comes to that particular break-up. And its fine if everyone wants to keep it on the down-low, but don't expect much conversation/response on the matter unless people know what the details are. Just sayin'
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

Quote from: dad 2 5 on September 04, 2022, 01:01:48 PMJMO, Bono needs to repair the relation with Ben and AWA

Agreed.

Not sure how, but someone has to bring the two groups together. Someone who knows both.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Healthy and happy

The UW wrestling relationship with AWA has not been great for a number of year, starting back through many years of the Barry Davis regime.  Some of the disconnect is that UW has to live by Athletic Department and NCAA rules, which folks outside the system don't always appreciate. It seems to me that when there is a long standing disconnect and it extends over two totally different UW coaching staffs, that the common person(s) in that relationship is more than likely where the issue lies. 
Greyson Clark's situation IMO, has nothing to do with AWA.  I think it will likely be resolved shortly

smitty71

What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

ckwrestler

Quote from: npope on September 04, 2022, 02:57:29 PM
The forum has always been very tight-lipped when it comes to that particular break-up. And its fine if everyone wants to keep it on the down-low, but don't expect much conversation/response on the matter unless people know what the details are. Just sayin'

Tight lipped about most breakups.  I'm curious about the elimination about the women's program at the WRTC as well.  I didn't hear much about that, but judging by some of the athletes' social media posts, they weren't pleased and were caught off guard. 
After Ben left, I paid closer attention.  After the womens team was abruptly eliminated, my donations to the RTC stopped.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Redeemer on September 04, 2022, 11:03:27 AMAWA doesnt do much besides recruit the best kids and take the credit for them being good.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: novice wrestler on September 05, 2022, 11:59:18 AMThe UW wrestling relationship with AWA has not been great for a number of year, starting back through many years of the Barry Davis regime.  Some of the disconnect is that UW has to live by Athletic Department and NCAA rules, which folks outside the system don't always appreciate. It seems to me that when there is a long standing disconnect and it extends over two totally different UW coaching staffs, that the common person(s) in that relationship is more than likely where the issue lies. 
Greyson Clark's situation IMO, has nothing to do with AWA.  I think it will likely be resolved shortly

ObsessedObserver

Quote from: ckwrestler on September 05, 2022, 07:54:21 PM

Tight lipped about most breakups.  I'm curious about the elimination about the women's program at the WRTC as well.  I didn't hear much about that, but judging by some of the athletes' social media posts, they weren't pleased and were caught off guard. 
After Ben left, I paid closer attention.  After the womens team was abruptly eliminated, my donations to the RTC stopped.
This might be closer to the reason some people are mad at wisconsin than the AWA situation the sneaky undercut of the Womans program as well as what happened with mcdonough a couple years ago are reasons people might be turned off when sneaky things happen that undercut people who do a lot for badger wrestling. and consider the implications of staffing at the UW coaching staff and womens wrestling. all that needs to be said.

mkm13

I am sure it has everything to do with money.  With NIL now being a thing, more resources also need to go toward that.

BuckyMatt

The UW Coaches have tried repeatedly.  The Askren's do not want the relationship repaired unfortunately.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: ObsessedObserver on September 06, 2022, 01:24:03 PM

This might be closer to the reason some people are mad at wisconsin than the AWA situation the sneaky undercut of the Womans program as well as what happened with mcdonough a couple years ago are reasons people might be turned off when sneaky things happen that undercut people who do a lot for badger wrestling. and consider the implications of staffing at the UW coaching staff and womens wrestling. all that needs to be said.

As an WRTC board member, I can assure you that the women's program was not cut in a sneaky undercut way.  It was a business decision that was made by vote of the entire board in our attempt to further strengthen the RTC and Wisconsin wrestling for the long term. None of the coaches are on the board nor do they vote on the subject.
Additionally, McDonough is a nice guy but was not a fit for the rest of the coaching staff and the team.  There is assistant coaching turnover all of the time. Both Badger hockey, Badger Football, and Badger basketball have had turnover recently (amongst other UW sports). I'm sorry that you consider it sneaky, from what I know of the situation it was not.

-Matt Deadman 

imwi

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 06, 2022, 07:13:48 PM

As an WRTC board member, I can assure you that the women's program was not cut in a sneaky undercut way.  It was a business decision that was made by vote of the entire board in our attempt to further strengthen the RTC and Wisconsin wrestling for the long term. None of the coaches are on the board nor do they vote on the subject.
Additionally, McDonough is a nice guy but was not a fit for the rest of the coaching staff and the team.  There is assistant coaching turnover all of the time. Both Badger hockey, Badger Football, and Badger basketball have had turnover recently (amongst other UW sports). I'm sorry that you consider it sneaky, from what I know of the situation it was not.

-Matt Deadman 

Was that decision ever communicated to the WRTC donors?

BuckyMatt

Quote from: imwi on September 06, 2022, 08:49:36 PM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 06, 2022, 07:13:48 PM

-Matt Deadman 

Was that decision ever communicated to the WRTC donors?
Some donors were made aware, yes; but in terms of an official press release or statement, no, we did not do that as a board.
W

wrastle63

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 06, 2022, 07:00:12 PM
The UW Coaches have tried repeatedly.  The Askren's do not want the relationship repaired unfortunately.
Bad for the UW program, WI wrestling as a whole, but even worse for the kids of our state.