Greyson Clark

Started by vsmf2010, August 25, 2022, 12:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Just saw on Twitter that Greyson Clark has decided to open up the recruiting process. Bummer.

Harris

"It's a sad day to be a Badger"  Huge loss and lots of odd changes over the past year.  On the bright side, I can't wait to see the young men wrestle this year and am very excited for the season to start.  Seems like every D1 program has the same issues going on with recruits switching and the transfer portal impacting the roster.  I think this may be the new normal.

walden_hiker

I'm not hitting any sort of panic button, I think great things are happening here. Two things I find potentially concerning however are:
1. We signed only 1 blue chip for '22 class and now none for '23. As an aspiring top tier Big Ten program, I would think we would be able to sign more. I understand only 9.9 scholarships, so you sign more some years and few others but was hoping for more signings especially for the '23 class.
2. The more concerning piece is the lack of signing of blue chip Wisconsin guys. Greyson's statement was a concern. He stated after speaking with peers, he was opening up commitment. He's an AWA guy and it's no secret that the AWA guys are becoming the blue chippers. The top guys in '24 class are also AWA guys. If they are talking with each other about not going to Wisconsin, I am concerned.

rjchev141

Quote from: walden_hiker on August 25, 2022, 05:45:38 PMI'm not hitting any sort of panic button, I think great things are happening here. Two things I find potentially concerning however are:
1. We signed only 1 blue chip for '22 class and now none for '23. As an aspiring top tier Big Ten program, I would think we would be able to sign more. I understand only 9.9 scholarships, so you sign more some years and few others but was hoping for more signings especially for the '23 class.
2. The more concerning piece is the lack of signing of blue chip Wisconsin guys. Greyson's statement was a concern. He stated after speaking with peers, he was opening up commitment. He's an AWA guy and it's no secret that the AWA guys are becoming the blue chippers. The top guys in '24 class are also AWA guys. If they are talking with each other about not going to Wisconsin, I am concerned.

Some AWA '24 have publicly stated their schools list, WI was not included.

vsmf2010

Quote from: walden_hiker on August 25, 2022, 05:45:38 PMI'm not hitting any sort of panic button, I think great things are happening here. Two things I find potentially concerning however are:

The top Wisconsin class of 24 guy (Koy Hopke #8 overall) is not an AWA guy as far as I know and he has listed Wisconsin as 1 of the 6 schools that he is most comfortable with.

vsmf2010

I am not sure what is considered a blue chipper but I do not think you are giving the 22 class enough credit. For what it is worth.

Class of 22

Recruits in top 75

Badgers 3 (21,61,70) Also Taylor Lamont from the portal
Arizona St 3 (28,42,50)
Cornell 1 (65)
Indiana 1 (64)
Iowa 2 (29,48) Also Real Woods from portal
Iowa St 3 (2,17,20)
Maryland 2 (43,62)
Michigan 1 (13)
Michigan St 1 (75)
Minnesota 2 (6,63)
Missouri 3 (25,32,44)
Navy 3 (22,66,71) Props to the midshipmen also 78 and 90
Nebraska 2 (30,36)
North Carolina 2 (51,72)
NC State 5 (5,10,16,35,55)
Northern Iowa 2 (27,52)
Northwestern 1 (57)
Ohio St 5 (1,3,4,24,34)
Oklahoma 2 (33,41)
Ok St 1 (12)
Penn St 1 (9)
Rutgers 2 (8,53)
Stanford 2 (15,23)
Virginia 3 (46,47,56)
Va Tech 3 (7,31,69)

With the exception of NC St and The OSU which have ridiculous classes the Badgers are very competitive and better than many.

factfinder

Quote from: vsmf2010 on August 25, 2022, 06:23:06 PM

The top Wisconsin class of 24 guy (Koy Hopke #8 overall) is not an AWA guy as far as I know and he has listed Wisconsin as 1 of the 6 schools that he is most comfortable with.
Koy is a Pinnacle kid. (Pinnacle is the best club in MN)

vsmf2010

Quote from: vsmf2010 on August 25, 2022, 06:41:51 PM

I am not sure what is considered a blue chipper but I do not think you are giving the 22 class enough credit. For what it is worth.

Class of 22

Recruits in top 75

Badgers 3 (21,61,70) Also Taylor Lamont from the portal
Arizona St 3 (28,42,50)
Cornell 1 (65)
Indiana 1 (64)
Iowa 2 (29,48) Also Real Woods from portal
Iowa St 3 (2,17,20)
Maryland 2 (43,62)
Michigan 1 (13)
Michigan St 1 (75)
Minnesota 2 (6,63)
Missouri 3 (25,32,44)
Navy 3 (22,66,71) Props to the midshipmen also 78 and 90
Nebraska 2 (30,36)
North Carolina 2 (51,72)
NC State 5 (5,10,16,35,55)
Northern Iowa 2 (27,52)
Northwestern 1 (57)
Ohio St 5 (1,3,4,24,34)
Oklahoma 2 (33,41)
Ok St 1 (12)
Penn St 1 (9)
Rutgers 2 (8,53)
Stanford 2 (15,23)
Virginia 3 (46,47,56)
Va Tech 3 (7,31,69)

With the exception of NC St and The OSU which have ridiculous classes the Badgers are very competitive and better than many.

Forgot to mention that Illinois had 0 top 75 recruits

mkm13

Unfortunate he is choosing to go elsewhere, but I wouldnt call it a "huge loss".  Not a negative toward him but he wasnt on campus yet and the staff have a chance to use the scholarship on someone else (recruit or transfer).

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

It's time to come to grips with this: the AWA feud with the Badger program means that no/very few in-state kids are coming.

It's a lose-lose proposition.

There is more than one definition for the word integrity. It also means to unification and wholeness.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Ghetto on August 27, 2022, 08:01:49 PMIt's time to come to grips with this: the AWA feud with the Badger program means that no/very few in-state kids are coming.

It's a lose-lose proposition.

There is more than one definition for the word integrity. It also means to unification and wholeness.

I am sorry to see Greyson open back up his recruitment.  Hopefully after exploring his options, he reaffirms that Wisconsin is the place for him but either way, I will cheer for him, he will find success whereever he goes!

And "Lose-Lose" hits the nail on the head but it's actually Lose-Lose-Lose (UW, AWA, Kids) and unfortunately, it's the Kids are who are losing the most in this scenario. 

-Matt Deadman

Numbers

Really just a loss for Badger season ticket holders that enjoy watching Wisconsin high school kids. 

The top Wisconsin kids will still start in Division 1 somewhere. 

The Badgers will still have plenty of options.  Having Seth Gross on staff is awesome!

statman

Awa strikes again. Tell me again  why they  are so great for the  state of wisconsin?
they don't call me statman for nothin

Redeemer

AWA doesnt do much besides recruit the best kids and take the credit for them being good.