Teams Needed

Started by panther93, June 29, 2022, 08:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panther93

St. Croix Central (Hammond, Wi) is looking to add a team for its Friday night duals on January 13th.  Each team gets three duals along with any JV matches that we can set up.    We currently have five teams and would like to add a sixth.

The Middle Border has canceled their conference tournament. We are also interested in finding at least three teams that are off conference weekend (February 4th) that would like to get some matches in as a tune up for Regionals.

If interested please contact Brad Holzer at bholzer@scc.k12.wi.us

npope

I no longer live in the area so I don't hear the local scoop as to what is going on with this kind of stuff, but why would the MB cancel its conference meet? If I remember correctly, more recently didn't the BRC and the MB come together for some kind of big tourney (instead of separate conference meets)? And then the MB separated from that event going back to a lone conference meet...and are now abandoning that? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Moose Knuckle

Quote from: npope on June 29, 2022, 11:51:07 AM
I no longer live in the area so I don't hear the local scoop as to what is going on with this kind of stuff, but why would the MB cancel its conference meet? If I remember correctly, more recently didn't the BRC and the MB come together for some kind of big tourney (instead of separate conference meets)? And then the MB separated from that event going back to a lone conference meet...and are now abandoning that? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

The BRC used to come together with the DSC not the MBC. They decided to get rid of that tournament as well a few years ago.

Wis-Mallard

The coaches didn't want to have conference tournament and then wrestle same opponents the following weekend at regionals.

padre

Quote from: Narwhal on July 03, 2022, 12:10:39 PM
Quote from: Wis-Mallard on July 03, 2022, 10:50:59 AM
The coaches didn't want to have conference tournament and then wrestle same opponents the following weekend at regionals.

The 'same opponents the following weekend' thing could be alleviated by going to one equal division for Regionals, Sectionals, State. Conferences are usually grouped by smaller - medium - large teams in conference with similar size teams. By going to one division for State then the Regionals would have all different size schools in them and not all those from one conference. I am told there are coaches who want equality. Having one single division would do that, making everyone equal in one division.
One division with 32 wrestlers in it would allow time for a second match for all the round one losers.
There would be less travel distances for many teams for Regionals and Sectionals.

Never ever going to happen.

Ghetto

Quote from: padre on July 04, 2022, 06:23:14 PM

The 'same opponents the following weekend' thing could be alleviated by going to one equal division for Regionals, Sectionals, State. Conferences are usually grouped by smaller - medium - large teams in conference with similar size teams. By going to one division for State then the Regionals would have all different size schools in them and not all those from one conference. I am told there are coaches who want equality. Having one single division would do that, making everyone equal in one division.
One division with 32 wrestlers in it would allow time for a second match for all the round one losers.
There would be less travel distances for many teams for Regionals and Sectionals.

What are the barriers to making that happen? Complexity for the WIAA? Coaches don't want it?

I don't have a strong feeling either way, but I don't see the downside in it.

When I coached in California, we had "regionals" with just our division, and then "sectionals" was where they all came together for a chance at state.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

padre

Quote from: Ghetto on July 04, 2022, 06:38:47 PM
Quote from: padre on July 04, 2022, 06:23:14 PM

What are the barriers to making that happen? Complexity for the WIAA? Coaches don't want it?

I don't have a strong feeling either way, but I don't see the downside in it.

When I coached in California, we had "regionals" with just our division, and then "sectionals" was where they all came together for a chance at state.

There's just no way wrestling is going to be the only sport with one division.  Hard to get anything through yet to backtrack 50 years and go back to the old system.  I would say most coaches don't want it.

npope

My apologies to panther 93, the OP on this thread. It appears that my off-topic question regarding end-of the-year conference tournaments has diverted the discussion away from St. Croix Central's effort to recruit a few teams to an end-of-the-year meet.

While I think the current content regarding some changes to the state meet wrestling series are of interest, might I suggest that we all refrain from further such commentary on this particular thread so that panther93 gets some input on the original topic. If some posters are inclined to want to continue with the state meet related discussion, please start another thread.

Thank you. And sorry once again panther93 - I hope we can get this thread back on track.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope