157: Model #17
165: Hamiti #6
174: NR
184: NR
197: Amos #19
HWT: Hilger #12

dad 2 5

wrastle63

Feel like there is a lot of room for improvement in those rankings.

Ghetto

Quote from: wrastle63 on June 24, 2022, 07:34:30 AM
Feel like there is a lot of room for improvement in those rankings.

+1
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Harris

PAUL

Frankly, I am wondering if a few guys aren't P.O.'d by those rankings....

dad 2 5

Quote from: PAUL on June 24, 2022, 08:28:23 AM
Frankly, I am wondering if a few guys aren't P.O.'d by those rankings....

Who makes the biggest jump up? I would think Zargo, Lamont, Amos all could move up. Hilger too? How good is Rowley?

downtown

Hilger is criminally under ranked.  Amos is going to be really good.  I would be shocked if they both weren't top 5 this year with Hilger making a run at a title depending on what Gable does.

Zargo is going to take a big jump and push to AA.

Barnett and Hamiti both returning AA, those two weights are always so tough.  I think they can improve on their previous finishes.

Model is a fan favorite and is a goer.  But he needs to limit the first period points given up.  Can he take another step forward and be a NCAA blood round guy?  Probably.

Gomez make a run at a title.  That would be awesome.  Based on what I saw at Big Tens I believe it.

Lamont.  Great pickup but I haven't seen him wrestle enough to know for sure.

Top four team at the NCAA tournament?  Very possible and very likely if they wrestle to their abilities.

Harris

Quote from: downtown on June 26, 2022, 09:36:31 AM
Hilger is criminally under ranked.  Amos is going to be really good.  I would be shocked if they both weren't top 5 this year with Hilger making a run at a title depending on what Gable does.

Zargo is going to take a big jump and push to AA.

Barnett and Hamiti both returning AA, those two weights are always so tough.  I think they can improve on their previous finishes.

Model is a fan favorite and is a goer.  But he needs to limit the first period points given up.  Can he take another step forward and be a NCAA blood round guy?  Probably.

Gomez make a run at a title.  That would be awesome.  Based on what I saw at Big Tens I believe it.

Lamont.  Great pickup but I haven't seen him wrestle enough to know for sure.

Top four team at the NCAA tournament?  Very possible and very likely if they wrestle to their abilities.

I like it!

Army Ant

I agree that Hilger is probably under ranked but he'll have to make a big jump some how (e.g. big change in training) in order to make a run at the title. He's been at about the same level now for a few years. He's never been super competitive against guys like Cassioppi, Kerkvliet, Schultz, Parris, etc.

npope

The rankings are fine and certainly add some additional level of interest for the fans, but they really don't mean anything. Yes, Hilger is not getting a lot of respect, but he also hasn't been able to demonstrate that he can consistently beat guys in that second level of heavyweights beyond the top 2-3 of them - he could come in anywhere from 4th to no placement and most folks wouldn't be surprised. Amos has yet to turn the corner - he might - he's right there, but hasn't yet done it. Model is hot and cold - catch him on the right day and he is lighting in the bottle. As noted, 125 and 165 always seem to be stacked, so those guys are going to have to earn what they get. Lamont is a total wildcard at this point, who knows where he ends up. I think Gomez lives up to his billing at the end of the season...and I think Hamiti out-performs (ranking) expectations.

I think the bottom line is that the Badgers are going to be worth watching this year and will likely have some great stories...as well as some less-than-fulfilling stories - that's just the way it is. I am truly concerned that Hilger may have lost his spark - he's been around a long time; hard to stay energized over that many years (even if you aren't cutting weight).

IF Bucky could put it all together in a single season, there might be something to write home about...but historically, UW hasn't been able to pull it all together at the end of the season (BD's time inclusive). Hope this is the season that they change history.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

PAUL

I like optimism but I believe in realism, and NPope as always you have good, sound and realistic opinions.  If things fell totally right, it could be a spectacular year - however it is hard for that to happen.  It seems like the season (and a college career) is such a ridiculous grind both on the body and on the mind.  Some guys are truly special, but for the most part everyone is darn good and so many matches come down to 1-2 points, 10-15 seconds or literally a single takedown.  The guys (and the teams) who can come into March "peaking" (whatever that means) will find the most success.  A handful of matches can turn a so-so tournament into a poor one or a really special one - the margin of error is so darn small.