Transfer Portal

Started by vsmf2010, April 19, 2022, 11:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: MakingABadgerer on July 11, 2022, 11:38:57 AM
And none of the above will beat Lamont. We are in a better position with Lamont in the lineup. It's a shame that people choose to leave rather than fight for the spot/use the year to get better. Wish the ones who leave well and root for our guys.

Have to agree that lamont is the best of the ones mentioned.

I will say there is alot more to staying/leaving than fighting out a spot.

In the past year how many badgers have left the program. Is that number on par with other schools?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

wrastle63

Quote from: littleguy301 on July 11, 2022, 09:24:45 PM
Quote from: MakingABadgerer on July 11, 2022, 11:38:57 AM
And none of the above will beat Lamont. We are in a better position with Lamont in the lineup. It's a shame that people choose to leave rather than fight for the spot/use the year to get better. Wish the ones who leave well and root for our guys.

Have to agree that lamont is the best of the ones mentioned.

I will say there is alot more to staying/leaving than fighting out a spot.

In the past year how many badgers have left the program. Is that number on par with other schools?
We have lost some guys but also gained quite a few as well. I'm sure I missed a few but just off the top of my head we have gained way more than we lost.

Lost- Wick, Burwick, Krattiger
Gained- Gross, Gomez, Lamont, Weiler, McNally, and Moran.

npope

I know nothing of what goes on behind the scenes with scholarship money, but when a school picks up some stud I suspect they have to offer them something. In a world with limited scholarships (9.9) that would suggest that the program has 1) a stash of excess (undispersed) scholarship $$ from which they can take money or 2) the program might adjust funding and reallocate money - I am under the impression that scholarships funds are actually made on a year-by-year basis - please correct me if I am wrong on this assumption. And in this newly minted NIL world and quick-n-easy transfer portal, all things are possible, I guess.

That said, my point here is that the addition of a stud around a given weight may set in motion decisions that negatively affect a previous starter's financial situation that adds something more to the decision to stay and compete or simply leave for another school that might be able to offer some comparable funding. My understanding on these dynamics might be simplistic and naïve and if so, hoping that someone might be able to educate me on the matter.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

vsmf2010

Quote from: npope on July 12, 2022, 06:23:11 AM
I know nothing of what goes on behind the scenes with scholarship money, but when a school picks up some stud I suspect they have to offer them something. In a world with limited scholarships (9.9) that would suggest that the program has 1) a stash of excess (undispersed) scholarship $$ from which they can take money or 2) the program might adjust funding and reallocate money - I am under the impression that scholarships funds are actually made on a year-by-year basis - please correct me if I am wrong on this assumption. And in this newly minted NIL world and quick-n-easy transfer portal, all things are possible, I guess.

That said, my point here is that the addition of a stud around a given weight may set in motion decisions that negatively affect a previous starter's financial situation that adds something more to the decision to stay and compete or simply leave for another school that might be able to offer some comparable funding. My understanding on these dynamics might be simplistic and naïve and if so, hoping that someone might be able to educate me on the matter.

Nat, that is my understanding as well and your point is well taken. You have to assume that top recruits who could go anywhere in the nation (regardless of if they are in the lineup or redshirting) and returning AA's and AA's coming in through the portal are likely to get pretty close to a full scholarship that does not leave much money for qualifiers, fringe qualifiers and backups. I have no idea how the NIL impacts this but it is hard to imagine that a stud wrestler is going to compete with little or no scholarship just because they have some NIL money coming in and lesser known guys are probably not getting a lot of NIL money.

dman

I thought I heard from a good source that NO ONE ever gets a "full scholarship" from the 9.9 available to each program.  Rather that scholarship money is spread out in terms of certain percentages, with the bigger recruits and best wrestlers getting a higher percentage, but it is never close to 100%.  The other money comes from other "approved" sources in which certain athletes get better "opportunities".  Maybe those closer to D1 programs, or D1 coaches could come and explain how this works...or maybe they would rather not?  Ha!

Sorry for all the quoted words but just means those are bigger topics in of themselves.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

AJ Ferrari rumored to be entering the portal...
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

MakingABadgerer

This could be exactly what we need. We get AJ and the 2 younger brothers as well. Bring in BentAzgrin to be their handler and we will need to wrestle in the stadium to house the combined egos. It will put fans in the seats and get us near a team trophy.

MNbadger

I was once told during the Gopher run of championship level seasons that the wrestlers took lesser scholarships and they all worked the JRob camps.  They ended up with more money and they were expected to train all summer anyway.  There were a couple of athletes who did not buy in to this but mostly they were of the same mindset.
Quote from: npope on July 12, 2022, 06:23:11 AM

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Ghetto

Quote from: imwi on July 13, 2022, 02:26:31 PM
Hard pass and that was before I read this.
https://www.ocolly.com/national-champion-ferrari-released-from-team-served-protective-order/article_d719a204-02cc-11ed-b1bb-c39b4926a729.html

According to Seth Duckworth, who does a lot of media/stories about the Cowboy wrestling program, Ferrari wasn't even on the roster before this came out.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imwi

Quote from: Ghetto on July 14, 2022, 04:49:44 PM
Quote from: imwi on July 13, 2022, 02:26:31 PM
Hard pass and that was before I read this.
https://www.ocolly.com/national-champion-ferrari-released-from-team-served-protective-order/article_d719a204-02cc-11ed-b1bb-c39b4926a729.html

According to Seth Duckworth, who does a lot of media/stories about the Cowboy wrestling program, Ferrari wasn't even on the roster before this came out.

I thought in that statement that he was referring to the younger brother that had committed to them but wasn't on the roster.  I did read that AJ was let go before the store broke though

Ghetto

imwi

dad 2 5

Seems like someone the Badgers should stay away from but ask Seth if he discerns he has come to grab with his wrongs and is ready to get his life on the right path instead of destruction.

Ghetto

Quote from: dad 2 5 on July 16, 2022, 12:42:10 PM
Seems like someone the Badgers should stay away from but ask Seth if he discerns he has come to grab with his wrongs and is ready to get his life on the right path instead of destruction.

Agreed but totally different people. AJ Ferrari has never been told no in his life. He thinks everything he's done is ok.

That's my opinion.