WWCA meeting

Started by Redeemer, March 31, 2022, 09:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redeemer

I see on the WWCA meeting notes on the WWCA website many great things were discussed.

Getting individual state to use 8 mats... would be a great thing. Maybe that could happen next season.

Getting girls state at the Kohl center... would be nice. We would need a couple girls regionals like 3 or 4 weeks earlier to get a max of 12 (or so) to state at each weight. Also, girls wrestling is growing so the rising numbers may change how this is executed, So maybe having girls at the same time of boys won't be possible. Maybe they'd split into 2 divisions, etc, if the number of girls keeps rising.  Something to think about for the girl's sake. T

Reducing weight classes... not a great idea. 165 teams had 10 or less wrestlers at regionals, filling various weight classes. The top 100 teams filled all the classes or they were missing wrestlers at a random weight class, depending on whatever their roster looked like this year. Taking out a weight class or 2 only puts a 100 or so varsity level kids on the bench and doesn't grow the sport. It doesn't really help the bottom 50% of the teams in dual situations. I enjoyed the level of competition at each weight at state. Some teams are filled with lightweights, some teams filled with upper weights, just depends on the year.

Equal divisions- not a bad idea, then get 16 to state per weight each division and the 8 mats will help things run smoothly time-wise. Also, look at reforming how regionals and sectionals are created to get that more modernized and top teams separated.

thequad

Is there room for eight mats at the Kohls center?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

tigerking

Quote from: thequad on March 31, 2022, 06:25:59 PM

Mel Dow says yes.

crossface21

Quote from: thequad on March 31, 2022, 06:25:59 PM

woody53 has also stated before that there is room for 8 mats.

tigerking

Quote from: Redeemer on March 31, 2022, 09:19:07 AM
I see on the WWCA meeting notes on the WWCA website many great things were discussed.

Getting individual state to use 8 mats... would be a great thing. Maybe that could happen next season.

Getting girls state at the Kohl center... would be nice. We would need a couple girls regionals like 3 or 4 weeks earlier to get a max of 12 (or so) to state at each weight. Also, girls wrestling is growing so the rising numbers may change how this is executed, So maybe having girls at the same time of boys won't be possible. Maybe they'd split into 2 divisions, etc, if the number of girls keeps rising.  Something to think about for the girl's sake. T

Reducing weight classes... not a great idea. 165 teams had 10 or less wrestlers at regionals, filling various weight classes. The top 100 teams filled all the classes or they were missing wrestlers at a random weight class, depending on whatever their roster looked like this year. Taking out a weight class or 2 only puts a 100 or so varsity level kids on the bench and doesn't grow the sport. It doesn't really help the bottom 50% of the teams in dual situations. I enjoyed the level of competition at each weight at state. Some teams are filled with lightweights, some teams filled with upper weights, just depends on the year.

Equal divisions- not a bad idea, then get 16 to state per weight each division and the 8 mats will help things run smoothly time-wise. Also, look at reforming how regionals and sectionals are created to get that more modernized and top teams separated.

Eliminating weight classes does not grow the sport. If you don't have a full team, then wrestle in tournaments.

Handles II

We were told that adding weight classes would grow the sport. The opposite occurred. 

Kids not ready for varsity were filling varsity spots. Retention of athletes was reduced vs when athletes went through the JV experience, creating more holes in the line ups.

Statewide we have an average of 10 wrestlers per varsity team. This has been the documented trend for the past 6 years. Fewer than 20% of teams in the state fill all 14 weight classes regularly.

The NWCA and NFHS wrestling representatives have been pushing for and the NFHS has granted the option of reducing weight classes in the future in every state. Avoiding co-ops and cutting of programs are key reasons. Both of these actually reduce opportunities for to be a participant on a wrestling team. Wrestling on JV rather than on Varsity does NOT reduce opportunities to be on a team.

wrastle63

Quote from: Handles II on April 01, 2022, 10:01:09 AM
We were told that adding weight classes would grow the sport. The opposite occurred. 

Kids not ready for varsity were filling varsity spots. Retention of athletes was reduced vs when athletes went through the JV experience, creating more holes in the line ups.

Statewide we have an average of 10 wrestlers per varsity team. This has been the documented trend for the past 6 years. Fewer than 20% of teams in the state fill all 14 weight classes regularly.

The NWCA and NFHS wrestling representatives have been pushing for and the NFHS has granted the option of reducing weight classes in the future in every state. Avoiding co-ops and cutting of programs are key reasons. Both of these actually reduce opportunities for to be a participant on a wrestling team. Wrestling on JV rather than on Varsity does NOT reduce opportunities to be on a team.
Correlation doesn't equal causation.

If we do the opposite it doesn't 100% mean we will grow the sport like you propose. Also wrestling on JV does reduce your opportunity. Most JV kids get significantly less matches, tournaments, etc than Varisty level kids. Reducing the number of weight classes does 100% reduce opportunities at the conference, regional, sectional, and state tournaments. Reducing weight classes for duals is probably a good idea go down to 12 or 13 as it would make for a better product, but hurts  in tournaments and the state series. Cut 106 and either 195 or 220(I believe those were lower according to your data) for ONLY duals and keep it the same.

Scramble_king

Why would we be for 8 mats at state? Are we in a rush to get it over with? I often wish semi's were only on 3 mats, so I could watch more of the great matches. 

Redeemer

Quote from: wrastle63 on April 01, 2022, 10:34:43 AM
Quote from: Handles II on April 01, 2022, 10:01:09 AM

Correlation doesn't equal causation.

If we do the opposite it doesn't 100% mean we will grow the sport like you propose. Also wrestling on JV does reduce your opportunity. Most JV kids get significantly less matches, tournaments, etc than Varisty level kids. Reducing the number of weight classes does 100% reduce opportunities at the conference, regional, sectional, and state tournaments. Reducing weight classes for duals is probably a good idea go down to 12 or 13 as it would make for a better product, but hurts  in tournaments and the state series. Cut 106 and either 195 or 220(I believe those were lower according to your data) for ONLY duals and keep it the same.

Right on. Correlation does not mean causation.

All those nearly 200 team with only 11, 10, or fewer wrestlers, will still have those kids wrestling varsity spots. it's not an issue being thrown into varsity. If they are only JV level, send them to JV tournies and then forfeit the varsity spot.

For the majority of WI teams, it's more of an individual sport than a team sport. For the top 60 or so teams, they do get excited about the team aspect.

tigerking

Quote from: Scramble_king on April 01, 2022, 11:23:44 AM
Why would we be for 8 mats at state? Are we in a rush to get it over with? I often wish semi's were only on 3 mats, so I could watch more of the great matches.

Girls State Tournament runs at the same time as the Boys on the extra 2 mats.

Scramble_king

Quote from: tigerking on April 01, 2022, 01:39:31 PM

I'd be pretty upset if our school seats were by the girls mats instead of the D1 mats. Don't think girls the same weekend as boys works very well.

bigoil

Quote from: Scramble_king on April 01, 2022, 03:00:06 PM
Quote from: tigerking on April 01, 2022, 01:39:31 PM

I'd be pretty upset if our school seats were by the girls mats instead of the D1 mats. Don't think girls the same weekend as boys works very well.
I would guess that A) this would allow for a two match minimum plus B) Girls would likely be a separate round.

thequad

I agree completely. Then people go out and drink too much and cause trouble!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

tex

Does anyone know if they had discussion about the seeding in the state tournament.  I hope they do not drop the ball on this and forget about the uproar that it caused this last season.  Our athletes deserve better than what they got this last February.  This board was lit up just over a month ago.

littleguy301

My understanding is that having 8 mats would allow for having 16 man brackets in d2 and d3 with having girls also. I think that is the big discussion getting both in Madison. Please see below in this post for what probably will happen.

I thought girls went very well in lacrosse at the end of January. I only was told it went well so...

From my understanding if we go to girls state at the same time as boys, d2 and d3 more than likely will not be able to expand to 16 men bracket. There is so give and take to this.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet