way too early 2022-23 line up

Started by dad 2 5, March 19, 2022, 01:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakingABadgerer

Quote from: kabrvi on May 23, 2022, 10:08:14 PM
As a person, he sure represents himself well with what seems like very genuine confidence but also humility.  He is easy to like in my opinion. 

It concerns me when he uses the term "hate" when referencing some fans.  However, that kind of conduct certainly isn't exclusive to Wisconsin.

Certainly, it would be disingenuous of me if I indicated his season went as I expected it would, but for any young person/college athlete to believe they were hated because of their performance in a sport is disappointing to hear.

It would appear he had adversity and plans to grow from it.  Good luck on your journey and the WI hopeful will be cheering for you.

I agree about his interview.  He comes off as a genuinely good person who plans to grow from his adversity.  Some on here are aware, others may not be but the "adversity" was not the normal tough classes or homesick or cutting weight stuff.  Partially through the season I saw his Dad after a match in a pink ribbon shirt, I am sensitive to the cause and asked him if everything was ok, and he was candid about their situation.  The "adversity" that Braxton planned to grow from was just as season began his Mom was diagnosed with an aggressive breast cancer.  He said they were not keeping it a secret but they also were not looking to make a spectacle of themselves (his words).  I don't know and I doubt they would ever say how well our coaches, teammates, and fans treated Braxton and the family during this time.  Was "hate" the right term?  I don't know.  It probably felt like it to him at times or he wouldn't have said it.  The more telling (and sad) part was when he said that as much as they hated him he hated himself more.  Can't imagine the pain/disappointment of thinking those around you "hate" you while worrying every night that your Mom may not make it.  If he or his family read this forum then the fact that he is staying is a testament to his commitment to the program.  Good things are coming for this young man.     

I have been a BA fan since he put UW among the finalists for his college choice.  His success in freestyle and greco opens the door for other high school prospects to know that unlike many other programs our coaches will support a wrestler's international career in freestyle and or greco.   Bobzien, Rowley, and now Lamont come to mind.  Hopke is hopefully watching and looking forward to UW.   

The Barry Davis lovers need to get back on board with UW.  Barry is gone and neither Bono nor the current Athletic Director has anything to do with his departure.  The Ben Asskrenites need to recognize that Ben didn't want the job and Bono gave him a chance to be involved as much as he wanted.  Ben does not work and play well with others.  Max is the smarter of the two and hopefully recognizes that despite Ben's ego, AWA and UW could have a pipeline that would make it easy to see our favorite locals wrestle while they get a quality education. 

Before we as fans complain about the team we need to remember that despite finishing lower in the NCAA Tournament than expected the team's finish outranked our fan attendance numbers. 

Back to the original topic, our lineup, the addition of Lamont is great.  I am hearing there may be more on the way. 

onwisconsin

[/quote]

I agree about his interview.  He comes off as a genuinely good person who plans to grow from his adversity.  Some on here are aware, others may not be but the "adversity" was not the normal tough classes or homesick or cutting weight stuff.  Partially through the season I saw his Dad after a match in a pink ribbon shirt, I am sensitive to the cause and asked him if everything was ok, and he was candid about their situation.  The "adversity" that Braxton planned to grow from was just as season began his Mom was diagnosed with an aggressive breast cancer.  He said they were not keeping it a secret but they also were not looking to make a spectacle of themselves (his words).  I don't know and I doubt they would ever say how well our coaches, teammates, and fans treated Braxton and the family during this time.  Was "hate" the right term?  I don't know.  It probably felt like it to him at times or he wouldn't have said it.  The more telling (and sad) part was when he said that as much as they hated him he hated himself more.  Can't imagine the pain/disappointment of thinking those around you "hate" you while worrying every night that your Mom may not make it.  If he or his family read this forum then the fact that he is staying is a testament to his commitment to the program.  Good things are coming for this young man.     

[/quote]

This is very well stated.  Thank you "MakingABadgerer". 

All my best to Braxton's mother and their entire family!!   

mkm13

It will be interesting to see how Lamont does up a weight and having to deal with the big 10 schedule, which is not easy.  Having said that, if everyone is healthy, we appear to have 6 guys who have a realistic chance to AA this year.  Based on odds, it is likely only 3 or 4 will, but it is good to have that many who have a chance to since it is so hard to do.

Ghetto

Lamont, with his Greco background, adds to a lineup of dudes who can throw you on your head and light up a scoreboard. So exciting.

I wouldn't read too much into the "hate" comment. Young people user the word hater all the time. The word hate itself means something different. It's more like doubter, IMO. just my two cents.

Yet another reason to support this team and rhe RTC.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

dad 2 5

Wonder what Burwick thinks of this signing? Does he have a redshirt available?

Harris

Ismael Ayoub changed his commitment to Nebraska per his Instagram.  In addition, the Wisconsin Women's RTC was cut after the US Open per Erin Golston's Instagram. 

mkm13

Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 25, 2022, 06:11:35 PM

I am sure he is thinking he needs to get better. Our goal is to be a top 10 program.  If you are not a top 15ish wrestler, your spot is likely not safe.

dad 2 5

Quote from: mkm13 on May 25, 2022, 08:38:29 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 25, 2022, 06:11:35 PM

I am sure he is thinking he needs to get better. Our goal is to be a top 10 program.  If you are not a top 15ish wrestler, your spot is likely not safe.

well said!

vsmf2010

I also doubt he is planning to concede the spot. I am sure his plan is to work hard and beat him out.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

2022-23 Current Projection

125 Barnett, Rivera (RS),  Coy (RS)
133 LaMont, Rotondo, Bobzien (RS)
141 Zargo, Dentino, Severin
149 Gomez, Medora, Lettini (RS), Goebel (RS)
157 Garrett Model, Scharenbrock, Cale Anderson, Hughes
165 Hamiti, Gavin Model, Meicher
174 Dow, Otto, Calhoun
184 Rowley, Sanders
197 Amos, Empey, Talshahar (RS)
285 Hillger, Christensen, Schmidtke

RS = Redshirt
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

dad 2 5

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on June 17, 2022, 05:08:28 PM
2022-23 Current Projection

125 Barnett, Rivera (RS),  Coy (RS)
133 LaMont, Bobzien (RS)
141 Zargo, Dentino, Severin
149 Gomez, Medora, Lettini (RS), Goebel (RS)
157 Garrett Model, Scharenbrock, Cale Anderson, Hughes
165 Hamiti, Gavin Model, Meicher
174 Dow, Otto, Calhoun
184 Rowley, Sanders
197 Amos, Empey, Talshahar (RS)
285 Hillger, Christensen, Schmidtke

RS = Redshirt

That seems like a pretty good line up!

tigerking

Quote from: Harris on May 25, 2022, 06:15:03 PM
Ismael Ayoub changed his commitment to Nebraska per his Instagram.  In addition, the Wisconsin Women's RTC was cut after the US Open per Erin Golston's Instagram.
It hasn't been talked about a lot that our Women's RTC Program was cut. Does anyone know why? How many athletes do we even have in the RTC outside of Gross?

mkm13

With NIL, I hope they are reallocating the resources to that.

Harris

Quote from: tigerking on June 21, 2022, 08:51:36 PM
Quote from: Harris on May 25, 2022, 06:15:03 PM
It hasn't been talked about a lot that our Women's RTC Program was cut. Does anyone know why? How many athletes do we even have in the RTC outside of Gross?

In addition, Sean Smalley (Executive Director) no longer works for the RTC.  He now works for the UW ticket office.  Big changes for the RTC.

PAUL

Thanks for the info Harris, that is pretty disappointing or at least it sounds concerning