way too early 2022-23 line up

Started by dad 2 5, March 19, 2022, 01:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerking

Quote from: wrastle63 on April 05, 2022, 08:11:26 AM
Quote from: Harris on April 04, 2022, 02:59:07 PM
Just asked coach Bono about Garrett Model and he said the plan is he is coming back which is awesome news.
That would be good for the team. Also saw Tate Samuelson from Wyoming entered the portal. He may be a good fit in the upper weights. Also Wyatt Henson 141 Iowa is in the portal. He has had some good results.

Where would Wyatt Henson go in the line up? I would be very happy with Tate Samuelson or Rocky Jordan.

wrastle63

Quote from: tigerking on April 05, 2022, 06:00:11 PM
Just asked coach Bono about Garrett Model and he said the plan is he is coming back which is awesome news.
That would be good for the team. Also saw Tate Samuelson from Wyoming entered the portal. He may be a good fit in the upper weights. Also Wyatt Henson 141 Iowa is in the portal. He has had some good results.

Where would Wyatt Henson go in the line up? I would be very happy with Tate Samuelson or Rocky Jordan.
Not saying he fits in the lineup, but he is a really solid wrestler in the portal. Hawkeye report put Henson at a 133 in their lineup preview thread.

BuckyMatt

In this day of the NIL, many of the transfers are looking for money to sign with a team.  It was rumored that Real Woods received 6 figures to go to Iowa.  I also heard a rumor both Suriano and Max Dean received 6 figures to go to Michigan and Penn State.  Jesse Mendez supposedly received 6 figures from Ohio State and that's a high school recruit.

If we want top transfers (and recruits) to come here, we need to get money to the RTC so they can pay these NIL deals.

Signing up for Rokfin to watch the WRTC/German match or even attending in person would be a great way to get money to the RTC

mkm13

NIL will be really important going forward. Future contributions to the RTC will need to focus on high school athletes and transfers and not the traditional RTC athletes who used up college eligibilty.

To keep up with the other programs, I hope the RTC focuses on that going forward.

Gutwrench

Donating money to the RTC is technically separate to any NIL opportunities correct?  For NIL money to come into play for example we need a local business to sign an athlete to an endorsement deal, like how Iron Joc signed UW football RB Braelon Allen.  Or an autograph session could be set up where people pay money for an autograph; then said autograph money would go to the athlete. 

Unless a way around it is to have the athlete endorse the RTC.  "Hi I'm Real Woods. You need to come wrestle for the WRTC".  Then the RTC pays him NIL money for his efforts.  So maybe donating to the RTC could help.....

Ghetto

Quote from: BuckyMatt on April 05, 2022, 07:34:58 PM
In this day of the NIL, many of the transfers are looking for money to sign with a team.  It was rumored that Real Woods received 6 figures to go to Iowa.  I also heard a rumor both Suriano and Max Dean received 6 figures to go to Michigan and Penn State.  Jesse Mendez supposedly received 6 figures from Ohio State and that's a high school recruit.

If we want top transfers (and recruits) to come here, we need to get money to the RTC so they can pay these NIL deals.

Signing up for Rokfin to watch the WRTC/German match or even attending in person would be a great way to get money to the RTC

That's Real money. Pun intended.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Ghetto on April 06, 2022, 12:37:00 PM

That's Real money. Pun intended.

NIL money seems to be primarily acting as scholarship money when you are out of scholarships to offer. Elite transfers get a bonus.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

mkm13

Based on the recent news, it seems like some of the top programs (Iowa, michigan, etc) have boosters that are trying to recruit AAs from other programs with NIL money.  Seems crazy and shady.

UW will have to be proactive with NIL opportunities for our current athletes and future recruits (within the rules).  In my opinion, future $ will be going to athletes with NCAA eligibility. P rost graduate athletes will have a hard time getting $ through RTCsvgoing forward.  It will likely hurt our overall greco and freestyle teams as athletes will likely not have as much opportunity to get paid after college.

wrastle63

Anthony Montalvo 184 OK State is in the portal. He would be a great add and believe he has 2 years of eligibility left.

Vir Fortis

Henson is the type of kid who'll fit in just about any lineup. Had a really impressive RS Freshmen year. Two losses to top ~10 guys in Hart from Missouri and Alirez, the #5 seed this year 1-0. Alirez beat Zargo 8-0 at the D1s...we all know the transitive property doesn't work in Wrestling, but it does at least give you a barometer of where he stands. As does his win over Kinner from Rider. Pretty sound victory over a top 20 Wrestler.

Zargo has 3 years, Henson has 4. Even if you think Henson is better than Zargo right now(and not saying he is)...do you really want to recruit over a young, really impressive looking young guy when you're trying to build a foundation? Not a rhetorical question, I really don't know the answer. Obviously if you're Iowa, PSU, ASU, you probably do. If you're a team in that 10-20 range trying to move up, is it better to prove you can develop guys and stick with the kid who's been there, who's already went through a full B1G season?

So unless Zargo can cut to 133...which I'm gonna guess even if he physically could, it wouldn't be very good for his Wrestling, the only way this works is if Gomez was to go up to 157 of his own volition, you'd just be replacing a kid coming off a really impressive Freshmen season.

Rocky Jordan does make more sense. I think he can go '74 or '84 and was at '84 more because of Smith and then Romero at 65 and 74 until he got squeezed out this year.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: wrastle63 on April 05, 2022, 07:17:00 PM

Not saying he fits in the lineup, but he is a really solid wrestler in the portal. Hawkeye report put Henson at a 133 in their lineup preview thread.

Well...ok. I guess that's the answer then. 133 if he wants to cut. He is a shorter guy...won his last State Title at 145 I believe, but it's not rare for a guy to Wrestle up a weight during his RS year. So if he was at 141 this past year, maybe 133 is plausible. A couple years there and then Zargo and he both move up a weight?

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on April 10, 2022, 11:37:43 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on April 05, 2022, 07:17:00 PM

Well...ok. I guess that's the answer then. 133 if he wants to cut. He is a shorter guy...won his last State Title at 145 I believe, but it's not rare for a guy to Wrestle up a weight during his RS year. So if he was at 141 this past year, maybe 133 is plausible. A couple years there and then Zargo and he both move up a weight?

Seems like he had the inside track to be the Iowa 133 next year so I would have thought he does not want to cut to 133 or he would have stayed put. May be more to the story but my sense is he will not be at 133. I also have not seen that he is linked to WI so I do not think he will be coming here but I have been surprised before. 

factfinder

Max Dean went to Penn for free, they didn't even recruit him!!! Max wanted to go there to win a title.
Jessy Mendez was offered money (NIL) to stay in state at Indiana, not so sure about Ohio?

I know D1 champions signing shoe deals for well under 5000.00, not sure there is real money out there?
The coaches are voting soon to prohibit HS athletes from training at RTC's and to put rules inlace to insure RTC's are not paying out NIL money like we saw this year with Michigan.

hammer

Quote from: factfinder on April 11, 2022, 08:23:12 PM

Max Dean went to Penn for free, they didn't even recruit him!!! Max wanted to go there to win a title.
Jessy Mendez was offered money (NIL) to stay in state at Indiana, not so sure about Ohio?

I know D1 champions signing shoe deals for well under 5000.00, not sure there is real money out there?
The coaches are voting soon to prohibit HS athletes from training at RTC's and to put rules inlace to insure RTC's are not paying out NIL money like we saw this year with Michigan.

I read that the NCAA may step in and limit money after the high school QB took the NIL money from Ohio State, left high schoolmearlynthen after he landed his money from Ohio State he de committed and went elsewhere. Alsomtalking Penn State I believe they capped how much money athletes can receive but not actually sure on that. Letw face it, outside Gable and a few others, getting 6 figure sums of money isnt going to happen to often.

dad 2 5

looks like we can put Garrett in at 57! I think that is good news!!