Badgers at NCAAs

Started by CLC FAN, March 09, 2022, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you think the Badgers land at the end NCAAs?

5 or more AAs and a Top 10 Finish
4 (5.5%)
4 AAs and a Top 15 Finish
25 (34.2%)
3 or fewer AAs and a Top 20 Finish
44 (60.3%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: March 23, 2022, 11:30:08 AM

Vir Fortis

Quote from: MNbadger on March 24, 2022, 06:23:39 PM
I hear rumblings the Gophers might get Hopke.....

LOL...of course. Should probably wait until it's legal to recruit him, but I'm shocked the Minnesota fan would be hearing such rumblings!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 24, 2022, 08:18:19 PM
Maybe not the same air of the studs on this list but has any one ever thought of Ian Smith from northwestern. 2 time runner up to Whitting as a freshman and sophomore at 182. Now that Whitting, Ramberg are gone he could be a 2 timer at the upper weights. Has some out of season success also. Might be one to get ok n the contact list also if football isnt first in his mind.

Has he had success in Greco? Watching him Wrestle, he seemed to actually work for double overs and I didn't see him shoot much(I only saw a couple matches so it's not an indictment at all).
He's got two years though...two time finalist at those weights is impressive to say the least.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 25, 2022, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: Narwhal on March 24, 2022, 10:25:21 AM
Ohio State wrestling can't match Big Ten success, take 13th at NCAA Championships https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2022/3/23/22990701/ohio-state-wrestling-buckeyes-cant-match-big-ten-success-take-13th-at-ncaa-championships-osu-2022

I was just reading about that class OSU had where they got 4 4-time state Champs from a small school in Ohio.
Logan and Hunter Stieber, Cam Tessari...and arguably the best HS Wrestler in the last 20 years at the time, Chris Phillips. A 171 who came into the Ironman and beat 3 of the top 171 pounders(including the #1 ranked kid) easily on his way to a title.
He had one loss at the Ironman I believe his Soph year to Ed Ruth who was a Sr...which he later avenged. Hard to imagine that Hunter Stieber was not the #1 recruit on his HS team despite having just 1 loss...

Quite the wide variety of results from this group for all kinds of reasons.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 25, 2022, 11:48:58 AM
Ohio State wrestling can't match Big Ten success, take 13th at NCAA Championships https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2022/3/23/22990701/ohio-state-wrestling-buckeyes-cant-match-big-ten-success-take-13th-at-ncaa-championships-osu-2022

I was just reading about that class OSU had where they got 4 4-time state Champs from a small school in Ohio.
Logan and Hunter Stieber, Cam Tessari...and arguably the best HS Wrestler in the last 20 years at the time, Chris Phillips. A 171 who came into the Ironman and beat 3 of the top 171 pounders(including the #1 ranked kid) easily on his way to a title.
He had one loss at the Ironman I believe his Soph year to Ed Ruth who was a Sr...which he later avenged. Hard to imagine that Hunter Stieber was not the #1 recruit on his HS team despite having just 1 loss...

Yup. Hard to complain about any school that provides a 4X National Champ for you...and hard to blame a kid who decides he just doesn't want to Wrestle anymore. I respect the decision to not Wrestle instead of Wrestle without being fully committed.

As a fan, I selfishly wanted to watch...one of the greatest HS Wrestlers ever...go back and forth with Ed Ruth, be on those OSU teams that were contending, and I believe won a title over the time he'd have been there. But from what I heard, he wanted to focus on school and just be a normal kid. I THINK he graduated with a degree in Finance and worked at a bank.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 29, 2022, 11:05:22 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 25, 2022, 11:48:58 AM

Yup. Hard to complain about any school that provides a 4X National Champ for you...and hard to blame a kid who decides he just doesn't want to Wrestle anymore. I respect the decision to not Wrestle instead of Wrestle without being fully committed.

As a fan, I selfishly wanted to watch...one of the greatest HS Wrestlers ever...go back and forth with Ed Ruth, be on those OSU teams that were contending, and I believe won a title over the time he'd have been there. But from what I heard, he wanted to focus on school and just be a normal kid. I THINK he graduated with a degree in Finance and worked at a bank.

100% agree with all of that. Competing in any sport in college is difficult, D1 that much harder and wrestling at the D1 level probably the hardest of all with the diet and weight requirements. It is easy to forget with all the focus on national rankings, Fargo results, world team births etc... that these highly skilled wrestlers are just kids trying to find their way in the world.