Computers Vs Humans

Started by tex, February 27, 2022, 11:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tex

If my quick look up is right the computer generated seeds had 17 brackets where the number 1 seed did not win.  As compared to only 12 number one rated wrestlers from wiwrestling did not win their respective brackets.  What we have learned: The seeding process needs to be tweaked and our wiwrestling rankers are pretty darn good at evaluating talent.  We took a step in the right direction this year and we need to make it better.  Sometimes a little human common sense and oversight can be used to make things right.  Thanks to all the people who worked hard this weekend, what a great tournament.  Congrates to all that participated. Job well done.

Ghetto

The folks at Wiwrestling who do the rankings do an amazing job every year. Kudos to those folks.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bulldog24

Here's the compiled stats of the place finishers if anyone wants to look at it. It's not perfect, but it does have the data put together.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iD5ebdOU4ODAfM3FT7fY9FZzxDy-j95skbYFufKFEMI/edit?usp=sharing

Green indicates a finish of 1 spot or less above or below
Yellow indicates a finish of 2-3 spots above or below
Red indicates a finish of 4+ spots above or below

DocWrestling

It would be great to now compare that what the rankings predicted
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Ghetto

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 28, 2022, 11:12:54 AM

Isn't that what he did? It looks to compare the humans (rankings) to place and computer seeds to place.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

DocWrestling

Thanks.  My mistake.  I completely missed the ranking column on first look.

Very cool and thanks for doing this
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

npope

Quote from: bulldog24 on February 28, 2022, 10:13:33 AM
Here's the compiled stats of the place finishers if anyone wants to look at it. It's not perfect, but it does have the data put together.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iD5ebdOU4ODAfM3FT7fY9FZzxDy-j95skbYFufKFEMI/edit?usp=sharing

Green indicates a finish of 1 spot or less above or below
Yellow indicates a finish of 2-3 spots above or below
Red indicates a finish of 4+ spots above or below

Too much time on your hands ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 28, 2022, 11:12:54 AM

ABS value is Ranking difference at 360 vs computer ranking 443.

greysquirrelmobile

It would be cool to do a regression analysis to get a p-value on this to see the actual relationship.  If I get a chance, I'll plug it into SPSS and see what it spits out.