Officiating crew

Started by Willie, February 26, 2022, 10:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL

Some class act posts by referees on here - thanks so much for your contributions on and off the mat!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: matman on February 27, 2022, 03:25:09 PM
This isn't in regards to the state tournament reffing... But imagine how many potential refs said "f-this" after their first ever reffing experience in a youth tournament, working the kindergarten mat, as a high-schooler, getting screamed at for missing a few points in the scramble?

In all reality, it is not a ref problem. It's a parent, athlete, coach problem driving the current, and future talent out of the field. Every good ref that walks away, allows for a position to be filled by a not so good ref.

Then again too, the younger generations have a lack of motivation as well. I think it's going to get worse, before it gets better!

Shout out to everyone who wears the stripes! You make us all able to enjoy this sport!

Is this specific to refs or just in general? Because I'm getting old enough now that there's a couple "generation" of kids younger than me...and I'm not seeing a lack of motivation.
I sure as *heck(rather than inappropriate term!) didn't see kids lacking motivation last Saturday Night!

The first time I remember hearing this, I was 25 at a HS Wrestling Tournament with another Wrestler...and he said, "Kids aren't as tough today." LOL...7 years out of HS and already with the "kids today."

I don't know, I'm pretty impressed with "kids today," and their motivation, dedication and hard work. But that's just me and the kids I see. I don't know how kids are raised in other places ;)

rmk12175

Before I post this I want to say that overall the officiating that I witnessed at team state was more good than bad.  Were there questionable calls, sure. But, I would caution any official not to do what happened in the D1 final at 132 lbs.  Following the 2nd period of the match, Holmen's coach lobbied the official for a locked hands call that neither official indicated.  Neither official indicated such a call because the infraction never actually occurred.

It's the officials job to call what they see in the course of a match, not to be talked into calls by the coaches.