Officiating crew

Started by Willie, February 26, 2022, 10:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie

Is it just me or was the state crew super old? There are some great young and middle aged officials out there that I can not believe are not getting to the state tournament. How are the officials selected? You can't tell me that, that crew was the highest ranked officials in the state. We traveled a ton this year and saw a good number of really good officials that are not making it to state. Seems fishy on how they are being selected.

Gordy M

Alot of questionable calls tonight, unfortunately it cost a few kids a state championship, tough job, no thanks

crossface21

It's tough to get the gig of being a State Tournament referee from what I've been told, and it may not necessarily be fair. I won't comment on the requirements as I'm not 100% sure of them. I know of some very good refs that can't get in because they haven't done it long enough apparently.  I don't like that because my thinking is if you're good enough, who cares about age or experience. With that said, I think the overall majority of the refs are deserving to be there.

One thing I think the WIAA should do at the Regional, Sectional, and especially State level is 2 refs for every match. The 2nd ref can be a younger ref and their only job is to be the 2nd ref the whole tournament. Get them use to the experience of being under the lights in a big match and in matches that have high drama and consequences.

littleguy301

Quote from: Willie on February 26, 2022, 10:10:56 PM
Is it just me or was the state crew super old? There are some great young and middle aged officials out there that I can not believe are not getting to the state tournament. How are the officials selected? You can't tell me that, that crew was the highest ranked officials in the state. We traveled a ton this year and saw a good number of really good officials that are not making it to state. Seems fishy on how they are being selected.

Well wrestling lost 39% of all refs in the past year. Talk to the old guard about getting refs to state! Plus rankings of the refs. Lots of good refs out there that get no chance at state but will ref in other states. Think about that!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Dale

You idiots need to go ref or stfu. 

Army Ant

Its based mainly upon the coaches rankings so if you don't think they got the right officials then blame the coaches.

SP

The officials get ranked by the coaches. The officials need to have a certain level to be placed into the pool that gets to officiate. The "best" officials do not always get to do the state meet. My opinion is the highest ranked officials are the ones that should be officiating. Just like the wrestlers, the best earn the right to be there. Probably not the most popular opinion but I feel that the kids deserve the best.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

dman

Quote from: SP on February 27, 2022, 08:58:13 AM
The officials get ranked by the coaches. The officials need to have a certain level to be placed into the pool that gets to officiate. The "best" officials do not always get to do the state meet. My opinion is the highest ranked officials are the ones that should be officiating. Just like the wrestlers, the best earn the right to be there. Probably not the most popular opinion but I feel that the kids deserve the best.

Doesn't it seem weird that it would be an unpopular opinion to think the best refs should be the one's reffing the state tournament??  The best and highest ranked refs SHOULD be the ones at the state tournament. 

digimon

Don't complain about the officiating unless you have put on the striped shirt and blown a whistle at the youth, middle school, or high school level. The retirement of so many quality officials within the past 3-5 years has limited the pool. There are a number of up and coming wrestling officials across this great state. Their time will come. Attacking officials at any level will only increase the need.

matman

This isn't in regards to the state tournament reffing... But imagine how many potential refs said "f-this" after their first ever reffing experience in a youth tournament, working the kindergarten mat, as a high-schooler, getting screamed at for missing a few points in the scramble?

In all reality, it is not a ref problem. It's a parent, athlete, coach problem driving the current, and future talent out of the field. Every good ref that walks away, allows for a position to be filled by a not so good ref.

Then again too, the younger generations have a lack of motivation as well. I think it's going to get worse, before it gets better!

Shout out to everyone who wears the stripes! You make us all able to enjoy this sport!

DocWrestling

Not sure how this downhill spiral gets changed.  Fewer people want to coach.  Fewer people want to ref.  Why?  The parents.

What is the present solution for fewer coaches?  Asking parents to coach and help.  That seems like something that will make things worse.

The only solution to more refs is to pay more.  Paying more in a sport that loses money could lead to more programs cut.

My point is that fewer coaches and fewer refs leads to more programs will get cut.

My only solutions are that we have to make things easier on coaches from a management standpoint and insulation from parents.  We need to greatly increase the number of coaches and parents ejected.  The younger the level the worse the parents are and less consequences.  That needs to changed.  In our local community we told our baseball umpires to start ejecting more parents and coaches.  They only had to eject a few until all the behavior changed.  Support refs and ADs for ejecting fans.  Embarrass the heck out of them.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

SP

Quote from: digimon on February 27, 2022, 11:55:12 AM
Don't complain about the officiating unless you have put on the striped shirt and blown a whistle at the youth, middle school, or high school level. The retirement of so many quality officials within the past 3-5 years has limited the pool. There are a number of up and coming wrestling officials across this great state. Their time will come. Attacking officials at any level will only increase the need.

You ever complain about bad calls during Packer games. I think that there are many people qualified to breakdown a refs performance without ever having worn the stripes before.

I think the point is that the best do not always get to work the event. It is a rotation as long as you meet a standard. If the WIAA used this formula for the kids we could get rid of regionals and sectionals. Just have a certain winning percentage and you qualify for State. Kid wins two titles and going for third title. Sorry son, with out rotation you did not make the tournament this year. We like to rotate the kids in that have met the minimum standard. You already have two titles so let these other kids go now.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

imwi

So we have 11 pages complaining about the seeding which should be just objective criteria but now we want to use just the rankings to pick the crew of officials.

Interesting.

Oz125

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 27, 2022, 06:40:42 PM
Not sure how this downhill spiral gets changed.  Fewer people want to coach.  Fewer people want to ref.  Why?  The parents.

What is the present solution for fewer coaches?  Asking parents to coach and help.  That seems like something that will make things worse.

The only solution to more refs is to pay more.  Paying more in a sport that loses money could lead to more programs cut.

My point is that fewer coaches and fewer refs leads to more programs will get cut.

My only solutions are that we have to make things easier on coaches from a management standpoint and insulation from parents.  We need to greatly increase the number of coaches and parents ejected.  The younger the level the worse the parents are and less consequences.  That needs to changed.  In our local community we told our baseball umpires to start ejecting more parents and coaches.  They only had to eject a few until all the behavior changed.  Support refs and ADs for ejecting fans.  Embarrass the heck out of them.

I agree with you Doc! People will get it if they know it won't be tolerated.

SP

Quote from: imwi on February 27, 2022, 07:46:58 PM
So we have 11 pages complaining about the seeding which should be just objective criteria but now we want to use just the rankings to pick the crew of officials.

Interesting.

The coaches would be picking the top officials. That is bow the rankings work for officials.

Seeding is using criteria to determine where they fit into the bracket.

Apples and oranges.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia