Stall calls

Started by Keaton Kluever, February 25, 2022, 07:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keaton Kluever

Congrats to Wyatt Skebba he had to beat not only a great opponent but also the ref. That was an absolute embarrassment to wrestling. When are officials going to allow wrestlers to ride tough and not insert themselves in matches??? This is horrible!

Quack

You think that was bad? You should have seen the D2 River Valley sectionals. Way worse. If you go back in the archives or find out where it was played live and watch it. You'll know exactly what I mean. Than that Ref also screwed up 152 D2 at the Richland Center sectionals. For some reason they don't want to high caliber kids to wrestle each other and decide the match.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

BennyJammin

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on February 25, 2022, 07:20:06 PM
Congrats to Wyatt Skebba he had to beat not only a great opponent but also the ref. That was an absolute embarrassment to wrestling. When are officials going to allow wrestlers to ride tough and not insert themselves in matches??? This is horrible!

Thought the same thing. Great next level ride!

WFactory19

Congratulations to Wyatt Skebba that definitely was a hard fought win. But a wise man once said you can't leave it up to the refs

ItscalledaMetzger

Congratulations to Skebba in advancing, great match by two great wrestlers. When you build a lead holding position on top is stalling. Period. Not arguable. He is lucky (Skebba) didn't get another stall call for two when he held onto Tonsor's ankle for 12 seconds not looking to improve. Wisconsin has to many referees afraid to make calls when they have a friendship or relationship with coaches and they are clock watching rather than officiating the match. Agree to disagree.
"Despite what your momma told, violence does solve problems."     
-Chris Kyle

Wrath

Last time I checked, Illinois has been ahead of Wisconsin in wrestling and officiating for years. Go to a tournament there and you'll see stalling called consistently and correctly. Wisconsin is still behind the curve but headed in the right direction. "Let higher level wrestlers decide the match". I agree but stalling in any position is not letting high level wrestlers decide matches. Even if you think the two stall calls in the Skeeba match were borderline calls the clear stalling at the end should've been called.

Army Ant

The last one (to make it 4-4) was very blatant. Riding parallel with the arm up on the back and completely broken down  for a long time. Puts the ref in a position where he has no choice but to call it.

downtown

Keaton, I am glad that you came on and shared your knowledge and wisdom of being a fan.  Sometimes it is better to keep your opinion to yourself.  The match was called correctly.  He even could have called him for stalling again at the end of the match.  That wasn't "riding tough".  That was stalling.  If you want to be a good rider and not get called for stalling you need to have your hips completely cleared off your opponents hips and constantly be working a breakdown and moving side to side.  That is what separates the good riders from the stallers. 

SP

Good riders do not have there hips completely off of their opponent.

Not specifically referencing any match here. Stalling is called differently at the state meet from regular season. Most coaches believe this.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

Scramble_king

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on February 25, 2022, 07:20:06 PM

Didn't watch the match, but I'll take a guess and say the refs last name started with a B 😏

Fan1

D1 106 - Green riding - down by 1, 7-6 with a minute left - gets both legs in starts working for power half after bellying out red - 30 seconds left ref dings red to tie the match - 10 seconds later both wrestlers doing the exact same thing as the last 40 seconds dings the top man and resets. 

Nothing changed.  If you felt red was stalling at 30 seconds left, how do you say green is now stalling while attempting to dig out same power half he was.  Be consistent IMO.   

Keaton Kluever

Quote from: downtown on February 26, 2022, 09:20:49 AM
Keaton, I am glad that you came on and shared your knowledge and wisdom of being a fan.  Sometimes it is better to keep your opinion to yourself.  The match was called correctly.  He even could have called him for stalling again at the end of the match.  That wasn't "riding tough".  That was stalling.  If you want to be a good rider and not get called for stalling you need to have your hips completely cleared off your opponents hips and constantly be working a breakdown and moving side to side.  That is what separates the good riders from the stallers.

Lol fan yes if thats what we want to call it. I don't know who this is or you our wrestling knowldge but being a good rider requires holding the bottom wrestlers hips to the mat and working for a turn from there most of the time. By putting the bottom mans hips to the mat it should be required by the bottom wrestler to build their base. Very simple now obviously you cant ride behind the hips but he was on one side of the body and riding. Call stalemate or something stop hurting wrestlers for doing what it requires to hold another person down who is trying to escape. If we call stallng this easy might as well never ride and just have 3 periods on the feet...

harley25

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on March 01, 2022, 12:58:22 PM

Lol fan yes if thats what we want to call it. I don't know who this is or you our wrestling knowldge but being a good rider requires holding the bottom wrestlers hips to the mat and working for a turn from there most of the time. By putting the bottom mans hips to the mat it should be required by the bottom wrestler to build their base. Very simple now obviously you cant ride behind the hips but he was on one side of the body and riding. Call stalemate or something stop hurting wrestlers for doing what it requires to hold another person down who is trying to escape. If we call stallng this easy might as well never ride and just have 3 periods on the feet...

And call it Freestyle!!

factfinder

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on March 01, 2022, 12:58:22 PM

Spot on Keaton!!
I would say how we ref matches around these parts puts the boys at a huge disadvantage at the next level when they get ridden like "shetland pony's"!!!

Vir Fortis

It could be worse...
Edit- This isn't a stalling issue, just a...let's say questionable decision by the refs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQjvlfSO7U