MBC at state

Started by littleguy301, February 20, 2022, 06:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Let's hear the picks for state!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

trout1

I believe 22 MBC wrestlers qualified for state, so there will be alot of action and we Shouldvewrestled to write up another good summary.

shouldvewrestled

106 - 2 wrestlers   Burke AM sectional champion received the 6 seed and has a freshman from Oostburg.  Would say favorite to win that one.  Then would have the 3 seed Magolski from New London.  I know Magolski and Benny Olson from Prescott had a fun match where Olson had Magolski on his back a couple times.  I think Burke can get this one and make the Semis

Kostrzak SCC received the 8 seed and wrestles Katzenmeyer of Evansville first round.  Katzenmeyer was in that crazy ending to the team sectional dual is about all I know about him.  I'll give edge to Maverick to move on.  Would then wrestle the 1 seed Heller who I know nothing about so will see how it plays out.  Could see both MBCers on the podium I think.

113 2 wrestlers   Anderson AM received the 9 seed and gets an intriguing matchup first round with Jerabek from LC.  Preview of a big matchup in the likely team state finals.  If he wins he gets none other than the 1 seed of...

Hush BW 1 seed.  Tough part with seeding now is we get (as we will see further down) earlier sectional repeat matches.  Anderson has given Hush some close matches if he can get by the first round.  Would predict Hush makes the podium and see if Anderson can join him.

120 1 wrestler   Holzer SCC received the 12 seed which gets him a matchup first round with returning 113 5th place finisher Muellenbach of Campbellsport.  If he pulls the upset he would get the freshman phenom out of Evansville.  Always tough when get the 12 seed, why I would love to see double elimination at state so each kid gets their 2 matches.

126 No MBC wrestlers

132 1 wrestler  Fink BW received the 8 seed and has a freshman from Medford.  Wins this has 1 seed Koenig of PDC which is a tough match but will see if Fink can rise to the challenge and get the MBC an upset.  If loses likely to have Anderson GET or Hart Winnecone for chance to place.  Tough bracket to place in for sure.  I know a good friend of mine who will be cheering up above for Ty to pull the upsets.

138 1 wrestler Schmidt BW received the 10 seed and gets Walker a senior from Marinette first match.  By seeding and on paper would be an upset, but he pulled a couple on paper upsets just to get to Madison so hopefully can keep it up.  Wins he unfortunately would get our own sectional foe in Nichols LFG.  He's been wrestling well and will say I think he will find his way to the podium.

145 2 wrestlers  145 the first bracket that does this to our sectional where all 3 participants are on the same line of the bracket so make the fun trip to Madison to wrestle the same kids you just did the weekend before.  Is what it is when seed everyone but leaves a little bad taste to me.

Tylee AM and Gartmann BW meet first round.  Gartmann won the first go round at Regionals and had to M. Forfeit at sectionals. (Hopefully he is ready and healthy to go by Thursday)  Will see how this second match goes.  The winner gets our sectional winner Halopka.  Whoever wins that first match I feel has a good shot at placing overall.

shouldvewrestled

152 3 wrestlers (the MBC sweep weight)  Unfortunately 2 of the 3 have to wrestle first round and 1 is 1 and done.

Wasley SCC received the 10 seed vs Murphy PRE who received the 7 seed.  Shows how seeding can be funky as Wasley has the overall head to head this year but was seeded worse.  Both recent matches have been close so see who can get the rubber match on the big stage.  Winner gets 2 seed Hull of Waupun who's losses have come to mainly D1 guys or some of the better D2 in his area.  Still think whoever wins from the MBCers has a good shot at the upset.

Ingham AM received the 1 seed and likely to see Joniaux of D2 power LC in his first match which again could be a preview for the following weekend.  Gets by that one likely to see Stebane of Brillion in the semis.  Good chance at getting 2 on the podium here.

160  2 wrestlers  Veenendall ELLS received the 9 seed and gets a sophomore from Darlington/Black Hawk first match.  I think he can get this match but thats knowing little about Goebel and a little homer hope  ;D  Wins that he would get the fun match of Scoles.

Simes AM received the 3 seed and has been a great addition to a strong Amery team.  Likely to see a rematch of the sectional final with Rothbauer in his first match.  He controlled that match hopefully can do it again.  Hopefully can get 2 on the podium here.

170  2 wrestlers  170 like 145 has our 3 sectional placers on the same line.  Madsen ELLS received the 10 seed and gets the rematch of sectional wrestleback with Meister of SPW.  Hopefully he can turn that result around.  Wins he gets the rubber match with...

2 seed Wasley SCC.  Wasley has dominated the first 2 matches with Madsen if they were to wrestle again and also dominated Meister at sectionals.  He is a favorite to win the state title but will have to wrestle well to do with some stiff competition with the other top seeds including undefeated Heiser of Evansville.  If Madsen gets by the first match I think we can get 2 MBCers on the podium.

182 1 wrestler  Cook AM received the 8 seed and gets the JR Lahay from Freedom.  Another D2 power school who wrestles close matches usually so will be a good test for Cook.  Win that one and gets the nationally ranked Whiting of OF.  I feel Cook should be able to make the podium sitting where he is at in the bracket but have to win that first one.

195 2 wrestlers  The meatgrinder! Returning state champ at the same weight and get the 3 seed.  Hopke AM trying to defend his title will have his work cut out for him.  The 3 seed seems to have worked in his favor as will get to face a new opponent in likely Breckheimer from Chilton/Hilbert.  Comes in with only 4 losses so no slouch.  Still say Hopke the favorite, then would get Grewe who he has had some good battles with already or Kilgas who is the 2 seed and has beaten Matthias who gave Hopke a rare loss earlier in the year.

Ramberg BW received the 1 seed after defeating Hopke now for the 3rd time.  Likely to get Krings of Winneconne in first match and then either the surprising freshman Thiry from PDC or sophomore Matthias Two Rivers who like said gave Hopke a loss.  Hopefully when the dust settles we will have an all MBC final come Saturday night.

220 1 wrestler  Hopke AM received 1 seed and is big favorite to repeat as state champ.  Which in itself is remarkable to say being only a sophomore at 220.  Likely to get sectional foe Pearce of Ashland.  Then in semis likely to get someone who has been ranked #2 behind Hopke on the year De Evian Ross of New London.  Likeliest of all State champs here from the conference.

285 2 wrestlers  Finally the biggest of the big boys starting off with Baribeau BW who received the 12 seed.  Had a great sectional to get here so will see if he can pull the upset vs Janssen of Little Chute.

Beese AM received the 2 seed is likely to see Bunker of Monroe.  Would say Beese is the favorite on the bottom side and will most likely get a shot at avenging his loss to sectional foe Hoffmann of Neillsville in the finals.

Wis-Mallard

Best of luck to all the MBC wrestlers.

trout1

shouldvewrestled

Anyone has more insights or thoughts feel free to add them.

littleguy301

Noce list and you kind of called it well and close to be honest. Maybe a recap is in order :D

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 28, 2022, 10:16:25 PM
Noce list and you kind of called it well and close to be honest. Maybe a recap is in order :D

Ha ok here's a quick recap for each weight.  I wasn't in person at the tournament so if anybody has more to add to this go ahead after I'm done.

106 - Proved to be wide open as 106 usually can (just ask the D1 crowd where our areas Casey, the 11 seed, won it  :) ).  Katzenmeyer proved he didn't need to stall in that crazy team sectional match as he made a run to the semis and ultimately finishing 5th.  Wound up being a tough matchup for Kostrzak.  Burke did a nice job Thursday getting into the quarters but then the wheels fell off a little.  6-0 loss to Magolski and then tough match vs Aird to ultimately miss the podium as well.  Time to shake those last two matches off though and go get the next 2 matches at team state for Burke.

113- Wunnicke school of wrestling in Dodgeville showed some great results in the bottom 2 weight classes getting 2 state championships at 106 and 113.  Hush ran into a big time competitor in Spurley but a nice 2nd place finish in the state is nothing to scoff at.  Come back hungry next year to move up a spot on that podium.  Anderson AM also won a big match Thursday night in what will likely be a rematch Saturday afternoon in what could be a big pivotal match vs LC (if everything goes to seed in first round).  Anderson has proven he can win close matches as he did 2 more times at indi state to take 5th overall, so hopefully he can get the same result Saturday for team state.

120 - Holzer pulled the big Thursday night upset by seeding taking out the 5 seed.  Ran into eventual state champion Heiser and then lost a close 3-1 decision to just miss the podium.  Still say a successful tournament for the sophomore.

126 - Weight with no MBCers that also was tough for our NW area for the quarters and semis.  Wound up with 2 on the podium from the NW overall though so was good in that aspect.

132 - Still think Fink here got a little tough luck with the seeds.  Top half of that bracket was stacked with Koenig (state champ) Anderson (3rd) and Hart (6th).  Would have been fun to see how Ty ends up if he had received a bottom half seed.  Is how it falls though, more fuel for the fire for his senior year to make the podium now.

138 - Schmidt did a nice job winning his first match Thursday night then ran into 2 tough matches.  Great experience for another JR from BW who will be a part of a tough lower to mid weights come next year for them again. 

145 - Tylee AM got the upperhand this time around 7-4 over Gartmann BW.  I know some chatter on other forum threads is about getting true double elimination and hoping to see that come to fruition for instances like these where same sectional kids knock each other out for a 1 and done.  Tylee after that first round ran into some stiff competition again and missed the podium but still a valiant return from injury for most of the year.  Hopefully he still has 2 good matches in him for Saturday.

152 - The bracket where MBCers just wanted to wrestle each other lol.  Great exciting match Thursday night with Wasley SCC getting a late takedown to win it over Murphy PRE.  He then went on to pull the upset of the 2 seeded Hull to make the semis.  Lost to eventual champion Licht to only have to wrestle Ingham AM on the backside.  Ingham won that one and wound up 4th with Wasley winning the 5th place match after.  Ingham had a rough go with LC's Joniaux in the tournament losing twice but hopefully that rubber match goes the other way and get him in the team state finals. Overall good tournament for the MBC here.

160 - Simes AM had a nice tournament finishing a solid 2nd to super stud Scoles of Kewaskum.  Simes didn't give up a point before that finals match so was in control and will look to keep that success going into this weekend.  Veenendall Ells had a nice tournament winding up on the podium in 6th place as well.

170 - Meister SPW put on a takedown clinic vs Madsen ELLS in the first round Thursday which we didn't see happen to Madsen much this year.  I'm sure that will motivate Madsen going into next wrestling season.  Wasley SCC took care of business in the Quarters and Semis but then ran into that Heiser family from Evansville himself and lost a close 4-2 battle to end up 2nd for the senior.  He will still be continuing to wrestle in college at MN so MBC fans can still catch him hopefully as a Gopher in the years to come.

182 - Cook AM did a nice job winning his Thursday night matchup but had eventual 4x champ Whiting waiting in the wings.  Did a nice job coming back from the quarterfinal loss to win two more matches to end up 5th overall for the senior.

195 - MBCers did their jobs.  Quarters check, Semis check, Finals for rematch between Hopke AM and Ramberg BW.  Ramberg got there by defeating Home of Darlington/Blackfoot by fall and then Mattias of Two Rivers 5-2.  Hopke had a 10-4 decision over Breckheimer Chilton/Hilbert and then rematch with Grewe Abby Colby where he won by close 4-3 decision.  Ramberg in the end took home the gold 5-2 in the finals.  Really was a great weightclass this year to follow.

220 - Hopke AM cruised to his 2nd title not even hitting 4 minutes total wrestled on the tournament, very impressive for the sophomore.

285 - Baribeau BW had a great year for the JR culminating in a state berth.  Had a tough match vs the 5th seeded Janssen of Little Chute but still great experience for him going into next year.  Beese AM pinned his way to the finals where whoever stayed were treated to 3 very good heavyweight finals matches across the 3 divisions.  Beese in an exciting SV OT match got the takedown to avenge his sectionals loss to Hoffmann of Neillsville 4-2.

littleguy301

Nicely written update formsurea