STATE BRACKETS OUT

Started by rocker123, February 19, 2022, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benaskren

I disagree strongly. 

Give me a bracket where the CLEAR(not your biased opinion) #1 & #2 are on the same side.

Sure Greyson Clark being #2 is dumb, bc he is 1.  But Hoyt is the relatively clear #2 and they are on opposite sides. 

Ben
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

takdwn2

The wiaa and coaches screwed up the state tournament. Who the heck voted for this system. What a complete joke. Sectional finalists are wrestling each other in the first round at state. What were these guys thinking.....
Seed the 4 sectional champs and that should be it!

Moose Knuckle

Greyson Clark got the 2 seed. Kole marko got the 3 seed.

benaskren

Cash Stewart and Kole Marko are the obvious #1 & #2 at 160. They are on opposite sides and will wrestle in the finals.

Whole bunch of babies.  Id rather have the seeds right(or close) than worry about kids who wrestled in sectionals wrestle again. 

Give me a clear #1 & #2 on the same side or get lost.

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

drbrad

Quote from: benaskren on February 19, 2022, 09:38:58 PM
Good god you guys are being a bunch of Dang babies!  This is soooooo much better than what he had before.  Lots of you just want something to complain about.

No, definitely some weird bugs. 3x State Champ Cole Marko, no losses this year = 3 seed. That one is bizarre.........  What's difficult is some wrestlers have head-to-head or common opponent, others don't. Then throw in other stuff and??? The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Sectional champs get the 4 byes, everyone else gets seeded 5-12. This way there is value in winning a sectional championship, but good 2nd and 3rd place wrestlers still wouldn't get screwed with a terrible draw.

Numbers

Well I am going to predict bugs will be worked out by tomorrow (or there will be some explaining to do)

Yes you may wrestle the same kid today and early next week.  If you do not like wrestling the same kids constantly, push hard to eliminate individual regionals.

gablesgrip1

How does one place higher at sectionals and gets seeded lower.  Second place defeats third place. Second place has pinned third place two times. Bistate and sectionals. One loss in dual before Xmas to third by default(bang heads and default). 195 Div 3 needs fixed!!!!!!!

scfcat

How about D3 113 we have a 3rd place finisher at sectionals with a first round bye.

Feedsack

Ben Askren

D2. 132
Koenig, Hart, Andersen all same side.   1,2,3 wrestlers not in that order same side.

Ship-Titan-Wolve

Koenig 2X champ (113 last year)
Hart 120 state champ last year
Anderson- 3X place winner.

benaskren

Feedsack

I missed that one.  That is one to be pissed about.

But at least it is just 1.  You guys are forgetting how many #1 vs #2 matches we used to have on Thursday night.

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

drbrad

This is actually EASY by using an example. The concern with the old system is that "stacked" sectionals result in 2nd and 3rd at sectionals getting screwed in their draws at state. So let's look at D2 195 Amery Sectional as an extreme example: Top 3 ranked wrestlers in same sectional. If we placed 4 sectional champs as top 4 (bye) seeds and seeded them separately from 5-12, Ramberg gets # 1 seed. Hopke and Grewe likely get 5 & 6 seeds, so they both have to wrestle Thursday (as they would have under previous system) BUT they end up paired against 11th and 12th seed in pigtail round- which is fair. They would still (if it goes chalk) wrestle in the semifinals with Ramberg taking on the 4th seed (which is the way it would be if you simply seeded a 4 man bracket). So in the "worst case" scenario, the 2nd and 3rd place wrestlers in the "stacked" sectional would only have to wrestle two of the lowest seeds in the preliminary round in order to advance to the quarters. So it's not unfair to them, AND it would still give value to a sectional championship. If someone sneaks through a weaker sectional, they could still be seeded 4th (among the 4 sectional champs) and would face the # 1 seed in the semifinals even if they beat the pigtail winner. I would vote for this compromise between past and new systems in a heartbeat.

Feedsack

If you go on track and do a little digging none of the head to head matches have been entered if head to head is truly a criteria, these seeds would all likely change?

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: Feedsack on February 19, 2022, 10:23:15 PM
If you go on track and do a little digging none of the head to head matches have been entered if head to head is truly a criteria, these seeds would all likely change?
Track does the head to head automatically from across the season. It compiles from all the matches entered into its system as all coaches are supposed to enter results into track throughout the season. Why coaches were told to be sure all their information for the season was entered before sectionals.

Jbsi

We all wanted a seeding of the state tournament. In most cases the top two wrestlers have been separated so it is a start. Sectional winners should not automatically be given the top for seeds. This is Shortsighted IMO, but there are surely some headscratchers.