14 Competitions

Started by 3Timer, February 08, 2022, 01:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imwi

Quote from: Ghetto on February 13, 2022, 06:45:03 PM
So lost.

Some school sent their entire varsity to a tournament disguised as a JV tournament on the schedule?

I'm gonna assume it's a "blue blood" school, because if it was a middle of the road school they'd just be named.

I'm with you, not sure who they are talking about

bulldog

Couple things...the school has been named on several social media posts. I think this forum does it's best to not name athletes or schools so maybe that is why it has not been named. But the "story" is very much out there on social media. Just go on one of the facebook pages that deals with Wisconsin wrestling and it will show up.

I don't think this is the same as DePere. This case is what would be considered varsity level wrestlers, some of who are ranked, wrestled at a varsity level tournament but listed as a JV team. From what I can determine, none of the athletes exceeded their 14 meets/50 match limit. The school had scheduled this particular meet as a JV meet. But (IMO) the competition at this tournament, from all schools at the event, was clearly varsity caliber not JV caliber.

bigoil

What is the issue if you send a varsity wrestler to a varsity meet even if the team
Is considered JV?

Maybe he was dinged up or out with covid and missed the East River john smith invitational but now has a meet to use.

The team had it on their master schedule likely at the beginning of the year but if they added it so what.

Heck, I know Freedom split their squad at the beginning of the year between Kimberly and Little Chute. There is nothing wrong with it. Seems like people are looking for a problem. I believe De Pere was an AD issue with just too many events that the kinds went to.

SP

Matches are consider3d varsity if one of the opponents has it on their schedule as varsity. As long as kids did not exceed their 14 competition limit they are good and can count the marches as varsity.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

littleguy301

From my understanding that is where the varsity reserves roster comes in. You can make 3 schedules and with a combo your wrestler cannot exceed 14 but if you make a schedule of 14 events for all 3 levels your team could have 42 events but the wrestlers cannt exceed 14 events on all.levels.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 14, 2022, 05:43:30 PM
From my understanding that is where the varsity reserves roster comes in. You can make 3 schedules and with a combo your wrestler cannot exceed 14 but if you make a schedule of 14 events for all 3 levels your team could have 42 events but the wrestlers cannt exceed 14 events on all.levels.
Exactly. I know my son did it more than once. We wrestled in the sturgeon bay meet. He was banged up to go in the cheesehead and st bay was a great competition, with Varsity teams.

DocWrestling

People are way to hung up on stupid little things.  Who cares if it was on their schedule as Varsity, varsity reserve, or JV.  Especially since they wrestled other teams varsity wrestlers.

Next year they might be more clear and call it varsity reserve.  Would be people be less upset.

I have spent a lot of time on this site saying wrestling is a team sport and everyone tells me it is an individual sport so focus on the individual wrestlers getting their 14 events.  Who cares what it is labeled on a schedule by an AD or coach!

Would it be any better if they just had the 50 match limit and who cares about events?  Sure seems easier.

I do think the WIAA might need to give some guidance on what constitutes a varsity match in terms of regional and state seeding.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

rmk12175

From what I have been able to gather:

A ranked D1 school sent several of its varsity wrestlers, including several ranked wrestlers to a Varsity Invite that was listed on the D1 schools JV schedule.  From what I understand the school did not violet the 14 event rule at any level, and no wrestler competed in more than 14 events or 50 matches before regionals.

Some people seem to take issue with the school sending members of its varsity squad to an event that was on the school's JV schedule.  This should be a non issue, because as I understand it, no rules were violated, and the event attended was a varsity level event.