LATEST Wisconsin High School Rankings 1-12-2022

Started by TomM, January 12, 2022, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

LATEST http://wiwrestling.com Wisconsin High School Rankings 1-12-2022 + Girls Rankings

https://wiwrestling.com/wiwrestling-com-high-school-rankings/

Please submit corrections, updates and your suggestions and significant results here:
https://forum.wiwrestling.com/index.php?topic=57851.0

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Keaton Kluever

D1 is very confusing to me. So if Holmen gets passed by barely getting beat by Marshfield at Bi-state. Why would Kaukauna not be ahead of Rapids when they beat rapids by 178 points at the Cheesehead.  . Hard to make an argument that  a team is  better if they lose by 178 points. But then again Every team title I was apart of we were ranked #2 so these rankings are usually off...

NoFooForU

isn't the Team ranking a reflection of the strength of the team in a dual event?  I can't understand how rankings can get so goofy by basing a team on results of an individual tournament, where a few kids can score so many team points. 

Take the Cheesehead for example...
Arrowhead had two champs, they scored a combined 137 team points, or 36% of the team's overall points.
Stoughton had two champs and another in the finals, they scored a combined 199.5 points, or 72% of the team's overall points.  (now, they only brought 5 kids so this is skewed).

But, hey, these are rankings and this is what everyone wants.

Wis-Mallard

You can do fairly well in a large tournament with a smaller number of stud wrestlers. Good "dual teams" typically do well in smaller tournaments since most of their wrestlers place scoring team points. Most great teams do well in tournaments and duals.

Not enough of the ranked teams dual each other to totally base the rankings on duals.

kpugh8680

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on January 13, 2022, 11:42:24 AM
D1 is very confusing to me. So if Holmen gets passed by barely getting beat by Marshfield at Bi-state. Why would Kaukauna not be ahead of Rapids when they beat rapids by 178 points at the Cheesehead.  . Hard to make an argument that  a team is  better if they lose by 178 points. But then again Every team title I was apart of we were ranked #2 so these rankings are usually off...

Marshfield attended The Clash in LaCrosse, where Holmen lost, by 8, to a team Marshfield defeated by 20.  There was not much movement the week after the individual Christmas break tournaments.  Rapids is a very good dual team but is not as strong as an individual tournament team where edge wrestling is not as easy and bonus points matter.       

Keaton Kluever

Quote from: NoFooForU on January 13, 2022, 01:09:53 PM
isn't the Team ranking a reflection of the strength of the team in a dual event?  I can't understand how rankings can get so goofy by basing a team on results of an individual tournament, where a few kids can score so many team points. 

Arrowhead had two champs, they scored a combined 137 team points, or 36% of the team's overall points.
Stoughton had two champs and another in the finals, they scored a combined 199.5 points, or 72% of the team's overall points.  (now, they only brought 5 kids so this is skewed).

I'm not saying the rankings are wrong. Now do I feel like they are yes I do because regardless of it being individual or dual that's what we call a butt whooping. Would be different if it was close but it wasn't. Now to the point I was trying to make is the rankings need to stay consistent. When Holmen dropped it was post bi state not after the dual results of the clash so they bumped Marshfield based on individual tournament. Which should be the same thing for rapids and Kaukauna if we want these to be considered legitimate rankings for people to follow. I'm just confused how every year when I was around after the cheesehead we would lose to Stoughton and drop to #2 based on individual tournament but now we just cancel all individual results and change the rankings because we're bored of seeing the same teams #1.

Also this isn't a jab at any of the teams here. Because I know these teams are quality teams. Im saying this because we need to actually hold these rankings to a higher standard. These  are looked at by the coaches when seeding the team state tournament so we need to be consistent at the very least.

NoFooForU

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on January 13, 2022, 08:31:21 PM

I'm not saying the rankings are wrong. Now do I feel like they are yes I do because regardless of it being individual or dual that's what we call a butt whooping. Would be different if it was close but it wasn't. Now to the point I was trying to make is the rankings need to stay consistent. When Holmen dropped it was post bi state not after the dual results of the clash so they bumped Marshfield based on individual tournament. Which should be the same thing for rapids and Kaukauna if we want these to be considered legitimate rankings for people to follow. I'm just confused how every year when I was around after the cheesehead we would lose to Stoughton and drop to #2 based on individual tournament but now we just cancel all individual results and change the rankings because we're bored of seeing the same teams #1.

Also this isn't a jab at any of the teams here. Because I know these teams are quality teams. Im saying this because we need to actually hold these rankings to a higher standard. These  are looked at by the coaches when seeding the team state tournament so we need to be consistent at the very least.

It certainly isn't a jab at any team.  the kids wrestle and us on the sidelines judge.  I think your point about holding these rankings to a higher standard is the main point in all of this.  There should be some criteria that is used.  I agree, Kaukauna looked to be a better total team and should have moved past Rapids.... in-the-rankings. 

But, for the disparity that was the Kauk/Rapids situation, I saw the exact opposite with Mukwonago dropping (assumed as a result of doing worse than others at Cheesehead).  Arrowhead has historically performed well at tournaments, but doesn't at duals.  They jumped above Mukwonago, as well as Milton.  Even though Muk beat Milton in a head-to-head dual (44-33).  Muk will face Arrowhead later this month, so I expect the rankings will change again.

The Marshfield/Holmen ranking makes sense, they basically swapped spots.

tigerking

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on January 13, 2022, 08:31:21 PM

Isn't team state seeded by trackwrestling?

DarkKnight

Keaton,

pretty sure Rapids was missing 4 or 5 starters at Cheesehead and I think the rankings take the whole season into consideration, including what they did the 29th/30th of December. However, I'd say you guys do have a great shot at Rapids so keep on working towards that goal. Congrats on the Cheesehead success and keep on.

Wrath

Hard to figure out why Oak Creek is ranked with them losing to unranked Slinger a few weeks ago???

mojo123

Quote from: Wrath on January 14, 2022, 02:12:43 PM
Hard to figure out why Oak Creek is ranked with them losing to unranked Slinger a few weeks ago???

On 8th criteria tiebreaker with missing a starter, having to put a jv kid in and shuffle guys around...

but you're right, a loss is still a loss.

beanertimm

D1 138 pounds - Collin Hansen from DePere should probably be pretty high in the mix

Wrath

Quote from: mojo123 on January 15, 2022, 10:24:44 AM

On 8th criteria tiebreaker with missing a starter, having to put a jv kid in and shuffle guys around...

The only starter that I see out on trackwrestling was Paar and Oak Creek pinned at that weight anyways???

mojo123

Quote from: Wrath on January 17, 2022, 12:22:26 PM
Quote from: mojo123 on January 15, 2022, 10:24:44 AM

The only starter that I see out on trackwrestling was Paar and Oak Creek pinned at that weight anyways???

152 Brayden Gardner. Moved 145 up and put in JV 145. Ended up losing both instead of prob winning at 145. And yes Paar who took 4th at state last year was also out