Stoughton's Nicolar Rivera tops nation's No. 1-ranked wrestler at Cheesehead Inv

Started by TomM, January 10, 2022, 01:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Gordy M

Nice work Nicolar, as far as I'm concerned your #1 guy in the nation now.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Gordy M on January 10, 2022, 06:44:05 PM

Dumb take.  He's super talented, but until he is more consistent on the national stage, he's not #1.  He has the talent to be #1, clearly.  Just needs to be more consistent. 

beastmode

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on January 10, 2022, 08:30:49 PM

Dumb take.  He's super talented, but until he is more consistent on the national stage, he's not #1.  He has the talent to be #1, clearly.  Just needs to be more consistent.

Willie, serious question here. Can you clarify how consistent you want him to be to deserve some love?  Nicolar has been this size/weight for a couple of years 120-130, Jesuroga just grew into 126, so hasn't been really tested consistently at this weight. Rivera has wins and super close matches over some great nationally ranked competition ( Corey Land, Lemley, Brandon Ross, and now Jesuroga ) He doesn't wrestle the super deep national schedule that Jesuroga does but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the notoriety when he beats these hammers. I'd say his resume is pretty solid and deserves a top 5 ranking for sure.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

wrastle63

Quote from: beastmode on January 11, 2022, 08:12:14 AM
Quote from: MatScoutWillie on January 10, 2022, 08:30:49 PM

Willie, serious question here. Can you clarify how consistent you want him to be to deserve some love?  Nicolar has been this size/weight for a couple of years 120-130, Jesuroga just grew into 126, so hasn't been really tested consistently at this weight. Rivera has wins and super close matches over some great nationally ranked competition ( Corey Land, Lemley, Brandon Ross, and now Jesuroga ) He doesn't wrestle the super deep national schedule that Jesuroga does but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the notoriety when he beats these hammers. I'd say his resume is pretty solid and deserves a top 5 ranking for sure.
No one argues with top 5, but the poster above said he is the #1.

Gordy M

He beat #1 so until someone beats him, which won't happen, he's # 1, be happy for him and move on.

NoFooForU

If the #1 goes down in a loss, then there's a new #1.  Its that simple.  If it isn't Rivera at #1, then who is it?

PAUL

I wish folks wouldn't categorize something as "dumb" simply because they don't agree with it. 

beastmode

Quote from: PAUL on January 11, 2022, 06:08:06 PM
I wish folks wouldn't categorize something as "dumb" simply because they don't agree with it.

That's why Willie is self employed. He couldn't get along with the other kids in the sandbox when they disagreed.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine