UW at Minnesota January 16

Started by TomM, January 08, 2022, 01:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

The last time they met it was 11-6 Lee in the Big Ten tourney I think.  I don't see that as a sign of what happened today.  Like I said, Model looked great but Lee was a prohibitive favorite before the match. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on January 16, 2022, 08:26:58 PM
The last time they met it was 11-6 Lee in the Big Ten tourney I think.  I don't see that as a sign of what happened today.  Like I said, Model looked great but Lee was a prohibitive favorite before the match.
They didn't wrestle at Big Tens and it was 11-7 in the dual. So a 4 point match can't swing to the other guy winning, but you pick it to be a major decision? What was your sign for that? You said you didn't think Model could compete with Lee. Keep backpedaling....

TomM

I have just one thing to say: "That's why they wrestle the matches!"  8)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MNbadger

I just watched it again.  It was the dual from February.  It was actually 11-7, Lee.  I stand corrected by one point, I apologize.  And yes, any match can swing to the other guy winning.  You can't have it both ways.  You don't see me crowing that McKee and Gliva "could have" won their matches, but of course they were tight.  The fact remains they LOST.  Being close means little in this case.
Wisconsin wrestled a good match, Minnesota not so much.
As I said I would still put money on the Gophers finishing higher than the Badgers come spring.  Yep, I could be wrong, we'll see.   
Quote from: wrastle63 on January 16, 2022, 08:37:06 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on January 16, 2022, 08:26:58 PM
They didn't wrestle at Big Tens and it was 11-7 in the dual. So a 4 point match can't swing to the other guy winning, but you pick it to be a major decision? What was your sign for that? You said you didn't think Model could compete with Lee. Keep backpedaling....
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

dman

If nothing else...it sure is fun to read what he posts and never seen someone back peddle so fast in my life.

wrastle63

Quote from: dman on January 17, 2022, 07:55:53 AM
If nothing else...it sure is fun to read what he posts and never seen someone back peddle so fast in my life.
And then change the subject to well.... well I still think the Gophers will win at NCAAs.

MNbadger

No, I addressed the subject directly, then followed with what I thought of the NCAA Tournament possibilities.  It is called a segue......
I think this is the third time I am saying the Badgers wrestled well.  As much as you are crowing, you'd think it had been eight years since you beat the Gophers!
Quote from: wrastle63 on January 17, 2022, 07:57:40 AM
Quote from: dman on January 17, 2022, 07:55:53 AM
And then change the subject to well.... well I still think the Gophers will win at NCAAs.

BuckyMatt

The Badgers wrestled very well and I think this match was a nice culmination of a lot of the great things Bono and company have been building; Grit was shown in every match; improved wrestling in all 3 positions, and mental toughness!  This team obviously loves each other and loves competing for each other and it shows in how they wrestle and how they interact on social media!

My personal highlight was Garrett's ear to ear smile to the Badger bench as he rode out the final few seconds of his match.  ALL that hard work G has put in over the years was shown with that smile!

My head scratching moment was Bailee O'Reiley making the "Break You" motion to the entire UW bench after his victory!  Look at the Scoreboard!

Numbers

While some maybe thought 157 was possible for the Badgers, there was no reason to expect a win there.

I keep going back to 133.  Burwick gave up two first period takedowns.  Clawed his way back to OT without a takedown.  Then was able to get a TD for the win.  I will admit I was hoping to win that OT in rideouts.

Really impressed with the Badgers in all positions.

dad 2 5

I found O'Reilly to be interesting, using his feet to grind in, smacked the face a couple of times, twisted the fingers. He is a tough, strong guy that does not need to use that to win.

The Badger really surprised me with wrestling that well on the road. I hope they are able to keep it up. This team continues to improve and this dual has to help them in seeding

littleguy301

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 17, 2022, 12:03:55 PM
I found O'Reilly to be interesting, using his feet to grind in, smacked the face a couple of times, twisted the fingers. He is a tough, strong guy that does not need to use that to win.

The Badger really surprised me with wrestling that well on the road. I hope they are able to keep it up. This team continues to improve and this dual has to help them in seeding

I think if you dig enough you find that every wrestler has done something like that at one point of his career. O'Reilly is a top notch young man that is a great competitor on the mat.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 17, 2022, 12:14:06 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 17, 2022, 12:03:55 PM

I think if you dig enough you find that every wrestler has done something like that at one point of his career. O'Reilly is a top notch young man that is a great competitor on the mat.
I would add that Hamiti was getting the crowd/bench fired up after his pin, with O'Reilly right after that maybe having something to do with it and technically, they were not out of at that point, especially with the hammer on the end.

littleguy301

That was a good dual PERIOD!

I felt for the most part the badgers out wrestled the gophers in all 3 positions especially in the bottom position. Outside HWT. I certainly hope the badgers keep up this pace for 2 more months!

Can the badgers out wrestle the gophers 2 more time in March, I hope so!

littleguy301

I was also told that is bono's first ever win over Minnesota as a coach ever. Nice to see him get that win and he was certainly pumped the entire match!

TomM

Select Matches: Wisconsin vs. Minnesota | Big Ten Wrestling | Jan. 16, 2022

https://youtu.be/LPXwbBTj7l0
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"