Harris

imwi

Quote from: Harris on January 16, 2022, 02:49:40 PM
That was f'ing awesome!

As always, we appreciate your in depth analysis :)  Agree 100%

ankle pick

Great win Bucky! That was fun to watch!

Harris

I believe the last time the Badgers beat Minnesota in a dual was 2011.  That was the first win over Minnesota that Coach Bono has ever had at any school.  Big win for the program.  Big win for the coaching staff, Big win for recruiting, and most importantly, HUGE win for the wrestlers.  Any in-state or national stud recruit that can't see what is happening here needs glasses.  After all the adversity the last two years, these guys are hungry and wrestling as a team in an individual dominated sport.  The last 3 duals have seen multiple different wrestlers step up to make a difference to help the team in victory AND defeat.

Super pumped after that one.

Harris

If I was 30 years younger, I would go lift some heavy weights or run 5 miles after that one ;D

dad 2 5

Quote from: Harris on January 16, 2022, 03:07:31 PM
I believe the last time the Badgers beat Minnesota in a dual was 2011.  That was the first win over Minnesota that Coach Bono has ever had at any school.  Big win for the program.  Big win for the coaching staff, Big win for recruiting, and most importantly, HUGE win for the wrestlers.  Any in-state or national stud recruit that can't see what is happening here needs glasses.  After all the adversity the last two years, these guys are hungry and wrestling as a team in an individual dominated sport.  The last 3 duals have seen multiple different wrestlers step up to make a difference to help the team in victory AND defeat.

Super pumped after that one.

+1 agree!!!

wrestlemania

Me too! Huge win for the program.

Talent surely helps but you also need a winning culture or better, a standard of expectations to meet and accountability and that's certainly what's going on here.

Numbers

This aged well  ;D

MNbadger
Re: Minnesota vs Wisconsin 10AM Friday BTN Plus
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2021, 12:56:50 pm »
125: #20 Eric Barnett (UW) maj. dec. #6 Patrick McKee (UM), 17-4 (UW 4, UM 0)
133: Boo Dryden (UM) dec. Kyle Burwick (UW), 5-2 (UW 4, UM 3)
141: Marcos Polanco (UM) dec. Dominic Demento (UW), 4-0 (UM 6, UW 4)     
149: Michael Blockhus (UM) dec. Drew Scharenbrock (UW), 13-8 (UM 9, UW 4)
157: #6 Brayton Lee (UM) dec. Garrett Model (UW), 11-7 (UM 12, UW 4)
165: #16 Andrew Sparks (UM) dec. Josh Otto (UW), 7-5 (UM 15, UW 4)
174: #19 Jared Krattiger (UW) dec. #15 Jake Allar (UM), 5-3 (UM 15, UW 7)
184: #11 Owen Webster (UM) dec, Tyler Dow (UW), 5-1 (UM 18, UW 7)
197: Garrett Joles (UM) dec. Andrew Salemme (UW), 9-4 (UM 21, UW 7)
HWT: #1 Gable Steveson (UM) pinned Pete Christensen (UW), 3:20 (UM 27, UW 7)
So, if Wick and Amos wrestled, show me the twenty point swing.  And that still would not give the Badgers the win would it?
They won two of ten bouts.  Two more would be 4 of ten bouts.  Neither are as likely to pin as Steveson would be(considering the level Steveson has grown to and Hilger looks as if he has gone backwards).

MNbadger
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2021, 09:34:10 am »
The bottom line is this; you can SPECULATE all you want.  The proof is in the pudding.  Excuses are like belly buttons, everyone has them.  I criticize the Gophers when they lose to Iowa or anyone else.  They have to recruit better, period.
As I said before, I think( most MN fans online have said the same) if the Gophers wrestled better, they would have beaten the Badgers by more.  Beforehand, this match could have been a shutout by the Gophers if everything fell their way.  The truth is, rarely in DI wrestling does everything fall the right way(this is my point when you speculate about the Badger lineup and count the best case scenario for WI).  The thing is THEY DIDN'T!(referring to the Gophers wrestling better)  I WISH they would have, HOPED they would have, but they did not.
Enough of this for me.   You can imagine every scenario you want, picking and choosing wrestlers who did not/could not? wrestle.
Good luck.

Numbers
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2021, 10:32:51 am »

Well these teams will tangle again next year.  I expect it will be highly competitive because the programs are not worlds apart.

And if Gable is still on the Gophers next year they may even win the dual.

TomM

Final Results:
125: #13 Eric Barnett (WISC) dec. #8 Patrick McKee (MINN), 8-5
133: #27 Kyle Burwick (WISC) dec. #24 Jake Gliva (MINN), 6-4 SV1
141: #17 Jake Bergeland (MINN) dec. #33 Joseph Zargo (WISC), 6-4
149: #10 Austin Gomez (WISC) dec. #24 Michael Blockhus (MINN), 10-6
157: #33 Garrett Model (WISC) dec. #4 Brayton Lee (MINN), 10-5
165: #8 Dean Hamiti (WISC) pinned Cael Carlson (MINN), 1:11
174: #23 Bailee O'Reilly (MINN) maj. dec. #17 Andrew McNally (WISC), 11-3
184: #28 Isaiah Salazar (MINN) maj. dec. #33 Chris Weiler (WISC), 14-5
197: #24 Braxton Amos (WISC) dec. #30 Michial Foy (MINN), 6-4
HWT: #1 Gable Steveson (MINN) maj. dec. #8 Trent Hillger (WISC), 23-9
#9 Wisconsin (21), #14 Minnesota (15)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Harris

Great 21-15 team win over a good Gopher squad.  Living in NW Wisconsin now, there is a huge Gopher following up this way and it has been a while since the Badgers had this kind of team.

125: Barnett over McKee.  This is HUGE for seeding.  Barnett looked phenomenal over #8 Patrick McKee (15-3, NCAA 3rd).  What a way to start the dual.
133: Burwick with another huge team win 6-4 in OT over #24 Jake Gliva (10-7).  Burwick wanted it more in OT and you like to see his fight.
141: Zargo with a tough 6-3 loss to #17 Jake Bergeland (14-5).  Good to see him keep it close.  That really helped the team.
149: Gomez looked great again.  Attacking in all positions in a 10-6 win over a tough #24 Michael Blockhus (12-9, NCAA Qual.).
157: Model with the win of the dual meet.  So happy to see him get the 10-5 upset over #4 Brayton Lee (14-1, NCAA 6th).  That was Lee's first loss.
165: Hamiti was electric.  He is dangerous in all positions with the pin over Cael Carlson (16-9).  Huge team points and great way to come out of the break.
174: McNally with the tough 11-2 loss to #23 Bailee O'Reilly (22-6, NCAA Qual. 2020).  I agree he didn't look himself.
184: Weiler loses a 13-5 major to #28 Isaiah Salazar (10-2).  Weiler looked good last weekend.  I was hoping to see more offense.
197: Amos seals the dual meet victory with a quality 6-4 win over #30 Michial Foy (11-7).  Love to see the improvement each week on the mat.
HWT: Hillger loses 23-9 to #1 Gable Steveson (6-0, NCAA and Oly. Champ).  Steveson is a monster on his feet. 

Badgers with a ton of momentum and great team chemistry.  Congratulations to all the wrestlers and coaching staff overcoming the last 2 years of adversity and fighting their way up the rankings each week.  I think this season and this team will help recruiting considerably going forward.

I love how the coaching staff never said a word publicly after Wick or Askren left (And I am a fan of both).  They just went to work with their guys and the results speak for themselves.  That tells you a lot.

downtown

It always is funny when MNbadger sticks his foot in his mouth.  Earlier in the week he was predicting a loss by the badgers and wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota won 8 of the matches and implied the Amos match may be shaky.   ;D

MNbadger

I seriously don't see how I "stuck my foot in my mouth".......? (In reference to Amos/Foy)
Good win by the Badgers. 
The Amos win was not particularly impressive.  Did you see indications that he particularly dominated Foy?  You don't think that could have gone either way?  Good gosh, Foy is ranked 30th I think.
If the dual was wrestled again, yes it could be different.
I never expected Gliva to compete as well as he did (I mentioned earlier that the Wisconsin fans expected him to win more than I did).
He is a victim of TSWS.
In regard to McNally and Weiler (who last year and coming into this year many were high on) welcome to the Big Ten.  I don't see Weiler beating Salazar going forward.  He insisted on wrestling Friday and today when the coaching staff wanted to sit him.  He has a serious ankle sprain and still majored Weiler.  And yes, wrestling injured is part of the game (which is what he did).
None of you can honestly say you expected Model to compete with Lee.  If he continues and AAs, he has to be the most improved wrestler in the nation, he was impressive.
The Badgers have made great strides.  Now the real test is the NCAA Tournament.  I still would bet the Gophers finish ahead of the Badgers this spring........
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Harris

Quote from: TomM on January 16, 2022, 05:28:29 PM
Final Results:
125: #13 Eric Barnett (WISC) dec. #8 Patrick McKee (MINN), 8-5
133: #27 Kyle Burwick (WISC) dec. #24 Jake Gliva (MINN), 6-4 SV1
141: #17 Jake Bergeland (MINN) dec. #33 Joseph Zargo (WISC), 6-4
149: #10 Austin Gomez (WISC) dec. #24 Michael Blockhus (MINN), 10-6
157: #33 Garrett Model (WISC) dec. #4 Brayton Lee (MINN), 10-5
165: #8 Dean Hamiti (WISC) pinned Cael Carlson (MINN), 1:11
174: #23 Bailee O'Reilly (MINN) maj. dec. #17 Andrew McNally (WISC), 11-3
184: #28 Isaiah Salazar (MINN) maj. dec. #33 Chris Weiler (WISC), 14-5
197: #24 Braxton Amos (WISC) dec. #30 Michial Foy (MINN), 6-4
HWT: #1 Gable Steveson (MINN) maj. dec. #8 Trent Hillger (WISC), 23-9
#9 Wisconsin (21), #14 Minnesota (15)

19 of 20 wrestlers ranked in this dual.

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on January 16, 2022, 07:46:50 PM
I seriously don't see how I "stuck my foot in my mouth".......? (In reference to Amos/Foy)
Good win by the Badgers. 
The Amos win was not particularly impressive.  Did you see indications that he particularly dominated Foy?  You don't think that could have gone either way?  Good gosh, Foy is ranked 30th I think.
I never expected Gliva to compete as well as he did (I mentioned earlier that the Wisconsin fans expected him to win more than I did).
He is a victim of TSWS.
In regard to McNally and Weiler (who last year and coming into this year many were high on) welcome to the Big Ten.  I don't see Weiler beating Salazar going forward.  He insisted on wrestling Friday and today when the coaching staff wanted to sit him.  He has a serious ankle sprain and still majored Weiler.  And yes, wrestling injured is part of the game (which is what he did).
None of you can honestly say you expected Model to compete with Lee.  If he continues and AAs, he has to be the most improved wrestler in the nation, he was impressive.
The Badgers have made great strides.  Now the real test is the NCAA Tournament.  I still would bet the Gophers finish ahead of the Badgers this spring........
Of course everyone thought he would compete with Lee. He only lost by 4 to him last season. Model has been making sizeable improvements every season.

MakingABadgerer

Quote from: MNbadger on January 16, 2022, 07:46:50 PM
Good win by the Badgers. 
He is a victim of TSWS.
I think the "foot in the mouth" was in response to your implication that Minnesota would win 8/10 and possibly 9/10 (if Foy beat Amos).
Keep making predictions. The board would be boring if it was a badger lovefest and no one made predictions.