Wisconsin High School Rankings - Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Started by TomM, December 22, 2021, 01:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Garrou

I had a 220lber win state that year he was never ranked above 11th and it did not stop him from winning. Rankings are just fun to read they do not mean anything except entertainment. Thank you for taking time to do this for us to read.

FinalWord

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 22, 2021, 10:54:40 PM
Yes but Ward's only losses are to the 2nd and 3rd ranked kids. He beat 4th ranked and they put him at 10...

Your only option is to quit wrestling. That'll show you mean business. Perhaps cross country sling is a bit less volatile.
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

littleguy301

Rankings are alot of fun. Are they perfect, probably not but it does make kids day and coaches also. Nice to see kids rewarded or at least some hype with seeing their names up as a top wrestlers state wide.

Good job rankings committee...lots of fun and thanks for the hard work
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

WINfan

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 23, 2021, 08:09:53 PM
Apparently, you don't read thoroughly, if you had you'd see I explained why it matters and big or even small tournaments were never mentioned. Really, if your going to make snarky remarks make sure you understand the intent.

I see you're fairly new around here.   perhaps your screen name should have been "the grinch?"

In all seriousness, i cant understand why you are so upset.   The committee is made up of volunteers who are doing their best.  Im sure they dont have time to comb through every single tournament and every single dual.  Be kind and send them all of Jacobs results.

NEW_Wrestling

Since you can't read and can't understand how they actually do come into play... Maybe you need stronger glasses. I leave it with, I hope the ranking committee will look a little closer in the future.

littleguy301

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 24, 2021, 03:21:29 PM
Since you can't read and can't understand how they actually do come into play... Maybe you need stronger glasses. I leave it with, I hope the ranking committee will look a little closer in the future.

It is very hard to keep up with all 300 plus teams and what tournament they are all at. I doubt any one was singling out your favorite wrestler by any means. Rankings have alot of movable parts and very difficult to pin down the exact place everyone is to be ranked at.

Quote from: FinalWord on December 24, 2021, 08:38:00 AM
Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 22, 2021, 10:54:40 PM
Yes but Ward's only losses are to the 2nd and 3rd ranked kids. He beat 4th ranked and they put him at 10...

But did the 4th seed beat the second seed or 3rd seed. That is were the condrum come into play.

I remember a couple of years ago a kid came in HM and took third. Beating some high ranked kids along the way. It happened kids get hot at the right time and kids go cold at bad times.

Good luck to your favorite wrestler for the rest of the season.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

ObsessedObserver

I think rankings would matter a lot more if the state tournament was seeded (which it should be) but since it's not rankings are really nothing more than a talking point. Is it frustrating seeing kids you yourself have beat ranked while you aren't or your teamates snubbed? Yeah that all sucks but when it comes down to it they are nothing more than a talking point.

ObsessedObserver

Backwards is that new? because I know I'm years past the tournament has not been seeded and either way even if it is seeded this year (thank god as it should be) it doesn't say anywhere on there that "Wisconsin wrestling's online rankings are a determining factor of seeding at the state tournament"

MNbadger

Section results should not be used in seeding.  There is too much variation in the comparative quality of sections.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

NEW_Wrestling

It's not about seeding. Please don't make another ignorant comment until you've read why it actually matters early in the post. Sorry you guys can't see past this state.

knowgangs

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 23, 2021, 01:34:53 PM
RankWrestlers All-Americans

If it isn't accurate maybe you should let this groups know.

Never heard of that website.  Had to look it up.  You are naive if you think a pay-website such as this has any influence on a wrestler getting recruited.  The website says its stats are directly from Trackwrestling not what volunteers list on various ranking websites such as here.  It's all driven by statistics directly from Track.  Maybe you should be directing your frustration towards that website and not the people here?

Numbers

Quote from: MNbadger on December 24, 2021, 11:51:06 PM
Section results should not be used in seeding.  There is too much variation in the comparative quality of sections.

Trust the system.

Objective criteria that allows every wrestler to build a resume over three months to earn an appropriate line on the state bracket.

Probably means this year will be the best overall state finals in 40 years!

ChargerDad

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 25, 2021, 12:06:23 AM
It's not about seeding. Please don't make another ignorant comment until you've read why it actually matters early in the post. Sorry you guys can't see past this state.

I'm sorry you don't understand RankWrestlers, and that you are angry enough to complain about the rankings, but not seemingly angry enough to provide feedback via the method shared multiple times.  Complaining on the forum wasn't the method requested BTW.  RankWrestlers is purely data drive from results, and competitors results to provide a calculated rank.  It doesn't consider any independent human based ranking systems at all.  Zero.  The All America section is simply the wrestlers who rank 99.0 on their ranking system.  It's an interesting system, I look at it as I look at the rankings here.  Neither of them are more important than the on the mat results.

There are 588 wrestlers in the rankings every week.  I'm sorry you think a group of volunteers is going to have time to look at every one of those wrestlers results.  My advice to you if you care about the accuracy of the rankings and matter as much as you believe they do, is to contribute information to the ranking committee as has been requested multiple times.  Do it with less negativity and whining than you have posted on here about it, and I'm sure your input will be considered, perhaps even valued.  As has already been mentioned, the committee is a group of volunteers, not people with full time jobs doing wrestling rankings, so help out. You have already spent 10x more time complaining on this thread than it would have taken to go fill out the form to submit recommendations to the committee and help improve the rankings.  It's potentially going to get even crazier the next couple weeks as wrestlers start dropping weight classes, and I'm sure thoughtful, well intended suggestions would be appreciated.

factfinder

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on December 24, 2021, 09:42:39 PM
Quote from: ObsessedObserver on December 24, 2021, 09:34:20 PM
I think rankings would matter a lot more if the state tournament was seeded (which it should be) but since it's not rankings are really nothing more than a talking point. Is it frustrating seeing kids you yourself have beat ranked while you aren't or your teamates snubbed? Yeah that all sucks but when it comes down to it they are nothing more than a talking point.

Umm....

https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Publications/Winter_Sport_Regs/wrestlingtournregs.pdf

Page 53.

b. Tournament Pairings
  At the individual state tournament, seeding criteria will be used for all competitors. Trackwrestling will seed all 16 wrestlers in D1 and seed all 12 wrestlers in D2 and D3 at the Individual State Tournament using the following criteria:
(1) Head-to-head competition
(2) Competition against common opponents
(3) Returning state champion
(4) Returning second or third place finisher in previous season
(5) Returning fourth through sixth place finisher from previous season
(6) Sectional champion
(7) Returning state qualifier in previous season
(8) Winning percentage in the current season

I wonder if this will be on a 13 ish point system like other states?
example:
You can earn 7-8 points from head to head competition (with other guys in the bracket).
Returning State champ gets 3-4 points
Returning state qualifier 1 point
Section champ 1 point
winning % gets you .5 to 1 point between the top 8 seeds.
If this is how it goes you will see wrestlers that are 42-0 on light schedules may only come into state with a couple seeding points.The new seeding system will favor good coaches that go out and schedule their season to find head to head points, if you have a lazy coach you are screwed.
I hope this is the start of a much better wrestling culture in Wisconsin and the day of protecting great records is over!!!