Started by TomM, December 22, 2021, 01:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

NEW_Wrestling

Who's bright idea was it to put Jacob Ward ranked 10th after beating Kale Roth ranked 4th this weekend. I wonder if you guys actually watch.

Sudden Death

There is another wrestler that beat someone that is ranked 4 spots higher. 

NEW_Wrestling

Yes but Ward's only losses are to the 2nd and 3rd ranked kids. He beat 4th ranked and they put him at 10...

tigerking

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 22, 2021, 10:54:40 PM
Yes but Ward's only losses are to the 2nd and 3rd ranked kids. He beat 4th ranked and they put him at 10...

Make sure you put in a rankings suggestion before the next rankings come out. I put in the link in for you:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScshliz0Rk1Dxs49qD-VdDORafNUT89SKDwjsoaEz7UCPzxrg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Houndhead

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 22, 2021, 10:54:40 PM

I think there is a tournament at the end of the season to determine the final rankings. I hope your feelings have not been hurt by this early season snub in the rankings.

NEW_Wrestling

I love it when you guys try to pass these rankings off as oh don't worry it's no big deal ... They do end up on a national database. So stop acting like this is just your little play ground.

tigerking

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 23, 2021, 09:11:36 AM
I love it when you guys try to pass these rankings off as oh don't worry it's no big deal ... They do end up on a national database. So stop acting like this is just your little play ground.
Dude. I am not passing it off. Never said it wasn't a big deal. The rankings committee is not perfect. Bring it to their attention in a respectful manner and they usually fix their mistakes.

DocWrestling

What national database do these rankings end up on?

There will always be some mistakes and they all get sorted out and they still will never be perfect at the end.

Imagine ranking 3 divisions x 14 weight classes x 15 wrestlers per weight class plus following another 10 on the watch list.

That is 1,050 wrestlers to follow.  This process is done by volunteers doing it on their own time with basically no help from coaches and minimal help from fans.  Then you have a lot of stuff that is still not entered on trackwrestling which is basically the only source of information to the ranking committee.  Then fans want the rankings by Wednesday after Saturday tournaments

I am sure that Ward would not be ranked 10th if someone had submitted his wins and his losses to the committee.

The real difference is that coaches just don't participate in the process like they do in other sports.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

NEW_Wrestling

RankWrestlers All-Americans

If it isn't accurate maybe you should let this groups know.

DocWrestling

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 23, 2021, 01:34:53 PM
RankWrestlers All-Americans

If it isn't accurate maybe you should let this groups know.

I would bet they are using the rankings without the knowledge of the ranking committee from this web site
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

NEW_Wrestling

What I wanted to correct were those that try to say these rankings do not matter. They do show up on national databases and do make a difference. Any time someone makes a claim to rank or compare and document information. They also take on responsibilities of accuracy. I only pointed out one of a few discrepancies that I've seen.

Anyone can say it's too hard to be accurate. That's the point. When someone makes a corrective statement stop saying it doesn't matter and say thank you. Do the further investigation and make the correction. As we can all see now, it really does matter. People are watching these and not just a bunch of old guys with nothing better to do

zpierson

So do you guys even look at results??? #6 Peters from Kaukauna just beat the #5river falls kid 7-1 at Minnesota Christmas. Also conner smith beat showalter last time they wrestled but were 1-1 against each other that weekend so that's not that bad.

padre

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on December 23, 2021, 04:02:42 PM
What I wanted to correct were those that try to say these rankings do not matter. They do show up on national databases and do make a difference. Any time someone makes a claim to rank or compare and document information. They also take on responsibilities of accuracy. I only pointed out one of a few discrepancies that I've seen.

Anyone can say it's too hard to be accurate. That's the point. When someone makes a corrective statement stop saying it doesn't matter and say thank you. Do the further investigation and make the correction. As we can all see now, it really does matter. People are watching these and not just a bunch of old guys with nothing better to do

I have had 3 sons go through wrestling.  They've been ranked anywhere from 1-10 every year.  Appreciate the time these people take in what they do.  It gives people something to talk about.  I used to help Crossface rank...it's very difficult.

However...if you think it matters at all you basically know nothing.  Big tournaments don't care...so who does? 

I think high schoolers are starting to overtake the board. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

NEW_Wrestling

Apparently, you don't read thoroughly, if you had you'd see I explained why it matters and big or even small tournaments were never mentioned. Really, if your going to make snarky remarks make sure you understand the intent.