State Tournament Mask Policy?

Started by tyben, December 21, 2021, 12:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyben

Does anyone know if the athletes will be required to wear masks during competition at the state tournaments in Madison?  I've heard of a couple tournaments in Dane County that have required masks during competition and wondering if this is a county rule of if each facility is making that decision?

LaValle

A goal without a plan is nothing more than a wish

tigerking

Quote from: LaValle on December 21, 2021, 12:35:14 PM
https://publichealthmdc.com/documents/2021-12-20_Order_22.pdf

Just extended and I would expect them to continue extending

Since the Kohl Center is a UW-Madison facility, I believe UW-Madison gets to set the COVID policies for the state tournament. My sources say the WIAA has discussed this information about other sport's state tournaments that occurred in Madison this fall. For example, tennis athletes did not have to mask for the state tournament this fall. The event was held indoors and in Madison. I believe this facility was even governed by Dane County and the WIAA worked out a deal with them for the athletes not to mask.

madeyson

I have been to UW Volleyball matches (Field House) and basketball games (Kohl Center) - and fans are required to wear masks but the athletes are not. I think given the circumstances this is a reasonable precedent. I think asking the kids to wear masks when they are wrestling would not be good, or healthy for the kids.

I hate wearing masks and question their effectiveness. However, as a fan I will do whatever I can to make sure our kids have the opportunity to have a state tournament, in the Kohl Center - and not wear masks while competing.

DocWrestling

They just hosted the Badger State Invite and I am not sure if they had wrestlers wear masks.  Masks are required indoors everywhere.  Lots of duals and such happening in Dane County.  Are they all wearing masks? 

Would need some sort of exception.  For tennis they allowed it as they kept players 6 ft apart and made all fans mask.  All Dane County high schools I saw play volleyball had to wear masks while competing.  In our conference we had different mask rules at each school.

Badger sports are exempt due to the testing that is required by the NCAA.

I would guess fans will certainly need to wear masks and I am sure they are in negotiations with UW and Dane County about basketball and wrestling.  Likely will depend on trends when as we approach that in a month.  If this Omicron surges I could see Dane County not even allowing these events again this year
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

UW Madison properties are not governed by Dane County. However, UW Madison does require masks by all those inside, with the exception of athletics.

400excracer

At the Middleton JV Tournament on 12/11/21 the kids were required to wear masks to wrestle. Our coach called and asked if there were any special requirements and they said no. When our team showed up they told them that masks were required when wrestling and some of our kids didnt have any. Their response was this is Dane County and you should know better. If you are running a tournament and requiring masks you need to let everyone know. Period.

Wrestling Novice

With Midlands being canceled,  I hope the WIAA has a plan B for the state tournament.   I can see everything being back to February 2021.  Especially in Madison.

wrastle63

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on December 22, 2021, 09:11:27 PM
With Midlands being canceled,  I hope the WIAA has a plan B for the state tournament.   I can see everything being back to February 2021.  Especially in Madison.
And not just a hs gym. The kids deserve better.

matman

14 days to flatten the curve? lol.

But on a serious note, let's hope these athletes can compete to their full potential in Madison!
Masks in the stands is what it is. In Madison it's the best of the best, let's hope they can compete like such!

madeyson

Badger sports are exempt due to the testing that is required by the NCAA.

Vaccinated athletes do not need to be tested if now symptoms - can we have some sort of a policy like that so the wrestlers don't have to mask?

littleguy301

Could someone please look into this, or some one way smarter than me. I was told that there is a state law with combat sports, which includes wrestling, about wearing masks or in should say not wearing masks.

Nothing is to be worn above the shoulders due to choking, used to choke and etc.......makes sense to me but I am not a legal expert so asking for help on this one.

I will do what ever to get the kids on the mat but let's make sure we are protecting kids with all safety measures we can think off.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

downtown

If the Dane county mask order keeps getting extended.  Which it most likely will.  There will almost certainly be a mask policy for both spectators and competitors at the kohl center for the boys state wrestling tournament.  Just like all middle and high school wrestling currently is masked in Dane county.

DocWrestling

If I had to guess there will be a high likelihood that all wrestlers will have to wear masks at the state tournament if held in Madison.  Unfortunately that may not even be the biggest worry as the actual event itself might be in jeopardy again.

I wonder if they could work out an agreement to not wear masks if every competitor was given a rapid test at weigh-ins.  I think I would rather have the kids wear masks because I would bet there would be a lot of asymptomatic wrestlers test positive and then they would not be able to wrestle at all and that would be harsh.

Sports contests are being canceled all over not because of sick athletes but because of positive tests.  This is why the professional leagues are switching to only testing symptomatic athletes.

My hope is that this Omicron is so contagious that it burns through everyone so fast that numbers are going down greatly by the time the state tournament comes around but I think numbers are going to skyrocket over next 3-4 weeks.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

paintortureagony

Can we really place any hope in the decision makers of the WIAA/UW/DaneCounty to think logically, when is comes to wrestling (or all sports for that matter).  Having wrestlers wear masks while competing is hands down the dumbest thought to come from this entire pandemic.