JV Series

Started by Armdrag, December 21, 2021, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armdrag

Is there a JV qualifying and State event this year? anybody have the dates for these if so?? thanks!!!!!

bulldog24

January 8th is the Qualifier

January 22nd is JV State

TomM

2022 'Challenge Series' and 'Girls Championships'

Guidelines https://wiwrestling.com/wisconsin-wrestling-challenge-series-wwcs/

TITLE: Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series

TITLE: Wisconsin High School Girls Championships

Region Events – Saturday, January 8, 2022
WWCS Finals and WI HS Girls Championships – Saturday, January 22, 2022

Head Coaches and/or their Athletic Director should have received a contract/invitation long ago from their Region Host school. Region assignments and their Region hosts are listed along with all Challenge Series Guidelines are at https://wiwrestling.com/wisconsin-wrestling-challenge-series-wwcs/
Please check with your Athletic Director regarding a contract for the Challenge Series.
If your Athletic Director has not received a contract ask them to contact the Region host school.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

Just to clarify...

The girls state championships is January 22?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

TomM

tyben

Can a girl wrestle in the girls state tournament and go to the regular regional?

Ghetto

Quote from: TomM on December 21, 2021, 01:11:11 PM

Pretty sure I was told January 29 and that is why no girls will be at our tournament.

If Girls state for sure is the 22nd, we'll have a girls tournament at WFB in combination with our JV tournament on Jan. 29.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

TomM

Quote from: tyben on December 21, 2021, 01:31:07 PM
Can a girl wrestle in the girls state tournament and go to the regular regional?
(when you say 'girls state tournament' I am assuming you mean the Wisconsin High School Girls Championships at Wausau West on January 22)

Yes.

From the 2022 'Challenge Series' and 'Girls Championships' Guidelines
https://wiwrestling.com/wisconsin-wrestling-challenge-series-wwcs/

7. Girls Competition
WWCS Girls Championship will be held at the Finals event.
There will be no specific/separate Region girls competition, but girls may enter the Region event as well.
Entry Fee (Girls Championship event): $10 at Wausau. (no fee, if fee paid at Region event)
Rules regarding WWCS Finals will apply to Girls Championship event competition.
Girls qualifying via a Region event will be required to choose to enter the Final WWCS regular division or the WWCS Girls Championship division. A wrestler may compete in only one division (WWCS or WWCS Girls Championship division) at the Final. This choice must be communicated to the Finals director Dallas Moe  (dmoe@wausauschools.org (920) 639-0233) on the Tuesday following the Region event, or as soon as it is known, to allow alternates to be alerted for the WWCS Final. Only one fee will be collected for girls entering both the WWCS Region and Girls Championship events.
Registration will take place via trackwrestling and should be done prior to the Tuesday preceding the Finals event. Same day entry will be allowed for females. Entry will be 'first come, first served'. If a bracket is 'full' (reached 24 entrants) the wrestler may choose another weight class or may not be able to enter the day of the event. Alternative bracketing may be enlisted depending on entry numbers.

PLEASE NOTE: There are two different events. One is WIAA State, the other is NOT WIAA State.

The WIAA Girls State is January 29 in La Crosse https://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/Winter/Girls-Wrestling/Tournament

The 2022 'Challenge Series' and 'Girls Championships' is held January 22 at Wausau West

TomM

Quote from: Ghetto on December 21, 2021, 01:47:45 PM
Quote from: TomM on December 21, 2021, 01:11:11 PM

Pretty sure I was told January 29 and that is why no girls will be at our tournament.

If Girls state for sure is the 22nd, we'll have a girls tournament at WFB in combination with our JV tournament on Jan. 29.

PLEASE NOTE: There are two different events. One is WIAA State, the other is NOT WIAA State.

The WIAA Girls State is January 29 in La Crosse https://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/Winter/Girls-Wrestling/Tournament

The 2022 'Challenge Series' and 'Girls Championships' is held January 22 at Wausau West

tyben

So can a girl wrestle at the WIAA Girls State January 29 in La Crosse and then also at the WIAA Regional?  Being the regional is what determines which teams can advance to Team Sectionals and Team State, it's probably very important for those teams that have girls that start on the varsity team.  I noticed teams like Wausau West and Mukwonago, who are going to be in tight battles at regionals to qualify for team sectionals and have girls in their starting lineup, would be at a disadvantage if not allowed to wrestle both.

TomM

Quote from: tyben on December 21, 2021, 02:47:13 PM
So can a girl wrestle at the WIAA Girls State January 29 in La Crosse and then also at the WIAA Regional?  Being the regional is what determines which teams can advance to Team Sectionals and Team State, it's probably very important for those teams that have girls that start on the varsity team.  I noticed teams like Wausau West and Mukwonago, who are going to be in tight battles at regionals to qualify for team sectionals and have girls in their starting lineup, would be at a disadvantage if not allowed to wrestle both.

You should address your question to the WIAA.
Answers placed on this forum are not certain to answer your question correctly.

Wisconsin Interscholastic
Athletic Association
5516 Vern Holmes Drive
Stevens Point, WI 54482-8833

Phone (715) 344-8580
Fax (715) 344-4241
Mon-Fri: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM

Who To Contact: https://www.wiaawi.org/contact-us

https://www.wiaawi.org/

Redeemer

I recall reading that a girl can not do both... you'd need to choose. So if a girl is integral to the team regional, skip the wiaa girls title.. unfortunate but i think that's what it said

ecnorth

ALL,

On January 22nd at Wausau West is the Finals of the Non-Varsity Challenge Series, sponsored by the Wisconsin Wrestling Coaches Association, that has been held each year (except last year due to COVID).  To compete in this event, a wrestler must qualify at one of the eight regional sites held around the state on January 8th.  Along with this event on January 22nd, a Girls Only tournament is also held at Wausau West.  A girl does not need to participate in a January 8th Challenge Series Regional to attend.  (THIS IS NOT THE GIRLS STATE TOURNAMENT)

this year, the WIAA hosts the first ever Girls Wrestling State Championship.  The WIAA State event takes place on January 29th in Lacrosse.  The WIAA State event is an open event, as there is no regional qualifier.   Per the WIAA winter season regulations, wrestlers may only participate in either the girls or the boys individual state tournament series.  Therefore, if a girl competes the Girls State Final event, she is ineligible to compete in the boys individual series (regional, sectional, state).  She is, however, eligible to compete in the team states series if her team qualifies.

Hope this helps.

padre

No...cannot do boys and girls postseason except for team sectional and team state from what I understand.  So not individual.

shouldvewrestled

Regionals are a team event, WIAA makes the team series first step an individual event so the girls should be allowed to do both if "team" events are still eligible for. 

I know WIAA says they can't, just pointing out another stupid rule and why TEAM should be straight duals and not an individual regional.