Middle School Wrestling Question

Started by LWW14, December 15, 2021, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LWW14

I am a newer middle school coach and wondering how other middle school's in Wisconsin operate. Do you guys have duals against other middle schools, pair wrestlers up based on weight/ability, and how many tournaments does your team go to throughout the season? There are some things that I would like to try this year and years to come, but want to make sure that other middle schools in Wisconsin do the same. (side note- I'm not referring to club wrestling but wrestling that is based out of middle schools)

Thank you for any feedback!!

muskie89

Quote from: LWW14 on December 15, 2021, 09:33:33 AM
I am a newer middle school coach and wondering how other middle school's in Wisconsin operate. Do you guys have duals against other middle schools, pair wrestlers up based on weight/ability, and how many tournaments does your team go to throughout the season? There are some things that I would like to try this year and years to come, but want to make sure that other middle schools in Wisconsin do the same. (side note- I'm not referring to club wrestling but wrestling that is based out of middle schools)

One way that has worked really good for us is our 10 guys vs your 10 guys (of similar weights obviously) this way, you still get 10 matches, and dont necessarily have to worry about 1 team having all light weight kids and another having all heavy weight kids. Match them up best you can and let it ride.

wrastle63

Quote from: LWW14 on December 15, 2021, 09:33:33 AM

Better to get in mini tournaments with 4-8 teams depending on number of wrestlers. Will get good quality matchups for the kids. Also nice to have some traditional tournaments where kids have to "make weight" that way they understand when they get to high school.