Wrestlestat

Started by mkm13, December 07, 2021, 12:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkm13

Updated wrestlestat rankings that include last weekend:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/77/wisconsin/profile

I think these rankings are trending closer to reality, with the exception Braxton still has room to move up a quite a bit.  With Braxton at 30 and Hamiti at 9th, UW is ranked 9th as a dual team and 15th as a tournament team. 

Barnett - 16h
Burwick - 46th
Zargo -36th - Will be curious to see where this goes as he hits the big 10 schedule
Gomez - 9th
Model - 53rd
Hamiti - 9th - I could see him slightly higher, the weight is stacked, so tough to get much higher as a true freshman.
174 - McNally - 11th - Probably a little high based on how he has wrestled so far this year.
184 - Weiler - 33rd
197 - Amos - 30th - Should hopefully still work his way up into top 5ish
HWT - Hillger - 5th

At this point, it appears we have 6 guys who have the potential to AA if things fall right. 

vsmf2010

I was just going to post something about this today. With no glaring holes in the lineup this is probably the best dual meet team I can remember in a while. Probably not going to be quite as good of tournament team as we have scene in other years with more NCAA finalist and high AA threats but a really nice team no less. Certainly feel like if they stay healthy they would have legit shot at 10 qualifiers which would be pretty cool.

Harris

Openmat rankings 12/7 with Gomez still listed in the Big 12  ;)

Rank   Wrestler   School   Class   Conference   Previous
5   Eric Barnett   Wisconsin   Sophomore   Big Ten   5
13   Austin Gomez   Wisconsin   Senior   Big 12   13
18   Dean Hamiti   Wisconsin   Freshman   Big Ten   NR
12   Andrew McNally   Wisconsin   Senior   Big Ten   12
5   Trent Hilger   Wisconsin   Junior   Big Ten   5

littleguy301

Quote from: vsmf2010 on December 07, 2021, 01:19:05 PM
I was just going to post something about this today. With no glaring holes in the lineup this is probably the best dual meet team I can remember in a while. Probably not going to be quite as good of tournament team as we have scene in other years with more NCAA finalist and high AA threats but a really nice team no less. Certainly feel like if they stay healthy they would have legit shot at 10 qualifiers which would be pretty cool.

Dang, please pass the stuff!

I was thinking the badgers would finish between 6 and 9th in the conference in both duals and tournament and get 4 to 6 into the NCAA. I could see another one slipping in due to i havent looked at the qualifier number per weight just yet

10? I certainly hope so but remember we still have to battle the likes of Iowa, Penn state, Ohio state, Nebraska, Illinois, Michigan and a improved Rutgers team to get our guys in. Not an easy task but I think the staff will get them ready for march.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

vsmf2010

Quote from: littleguy301 on December 07, 2021, 07:50:42 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on December 07, 2021, 01:19:05 PM

Dang, please pass the stuff!

I was thinking the badgers would finish between 6 and 9th in the conference in both duals and tournament and get 4 to 6 into the NCAA. I could see another one slipping in due to i havent looked at the qualifier number per weight just yet

10? I certainly hope so but remember we still have to battle the likes of Iowa, Penn state, Ohio state, Nebraska, Illinois, Michigan and a improved Rutgers team to get our guys in. Not an easy task but I think the staff will get them ready for march.

Well lets see.
Hillger is a 3 time AA so he is a lock
Barnett is a returning AA so I think he would be a lock
If Gomez stays healthy he is a lock. Already beat a returning AA
I would be completely shocked if Amos does not qualify
So that is 4 locks

Weiler is a 3 time qualifier and a round of 12 guy
McNally is a 3 time qualifier and a round of 12 guy
Hamitti already has a tech over a qualifier and a pin over a 2 time qualifier who was a round of 16 guy

That leaves
Burwick who is a returning qualifier
Model was Ranked 26th in last years coaches poll. He finished 10th at the Big 10 tournament but was seeded 8th and there were 7 allocations so he truly was not that far off
Zargo just had a really nice win over a ranked returning qualifier

Again I said if healthy they have a legit shot. I do not think it is a huge stretch. If you are saying 4 to 6 qualifiers who are the 4 to 6 who do not make it?

littleguy301

HWT

I believe 1 of those last 4 slip in like I posted. I always side on the bad luck for the first 6 due to illness and sickness or something strange happens.

Like I said I hope all 10 make it but that is a really lofty number due to not sure if Penn state and Iowa can get 10 there also.

Wisco has improved but so have other teams so with the depth in the big ten you can have a great tournament and finish 8th, 1 spot from quailifing like you pointed out. The big ten is deep!

Like I said I hope all 10 go but I am setting my hope at around 6 with 4 to 5 AA. I think that is a reasonable and fair expectation of this team and in the future I hope we get to that majic number of 10!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

mkm13

Looking at big 10 wrestlestat rankings:

125 - Barnett - 7th (assuming Suriano is wrestling 125 at Michigan and Hildebrandt at PSU) - If they both wrestle, 125 is stacked.  Being an AA will be extremely tough.
133 - Burwick - 11th - Hard to argue that at this point.  Has his work cut out to qualify
141 - Zargo - 9th - Hard to predict where he will fall at this point.  Could easily get ahead of Filius and Bergeland, but also fall bellow D'Emilio
149 - Gomez - 4th
157 - Model - 11th - Has his work cut out to qualify
165 - Hamiti - 3rd - Interesting that 165 in the big 10 is somewhat weak.  A lot of the top 165 talent is outside the big 10.
174 - McNally - 5th
184 - Weiler - 11th - A bit surprising he is that low, but hard to argue at this point with how he has wrestled lately.  The big 10 is deep at 184
197 - Amos - 9th - Has an opportunity to rise pretty high, but will see how h fits in compared to Brucki, Schultz, Bulsak, Caffey, etc.
HWT - Hillger - 4th - This has him ahead of Kerkvliet, who I think will move up higher assuming he is healthy.

When you look at this, it makes you appreciate just how tough the big 10 is.  You really need top level guys at most weights to compete with the top of the big 10.  PSU, Iowa, OSU, and Michigan are just that good.

dad 2 5

the Amos thing has me wondering. 1) there has to be "I am going to prove these guys to be foolish putting me this bad of ranking" (2) got to wonder why they are waiting. does he need to knock off a couple ranked wrestlers or get into the B1G season? (3) is there something we don't know as blind Badger fans? I don't think so but this seems kind of odd. We have seen other freshmen get ranked fast.

just random thoughts

as for other comments I think you guys have this team figured out and not health and unfolding the season is the question. Let's Go Badgers!

mkm13

Amos has not beat anyone great yet and lost to someone he shouldnt have.  I think he wouod be fairly high if he didnt lose.

onwisconsin

I know Amos is relentless and an absolute beast.  It does look like he brings more of a Greco (power) game to folkstyle.  I have watched all his matches since the US trials, including Worlds, except for the matches last weekend (honey do list).

I would love to see more variety to his leg attacks.  When he has the leg attacks I see him being dominant and I know this will come.  I have faith.

Also, only Braxton and the coaches know how 197 affects him.  He looked tired against NC. Can't wait to watch him the rest of the season.

dad 2 5

Quote from: onwisconsin on December 10, 2021, 05:11:45 PM
I know Amos is relentless and an absolute beast.  It does look like he brings more of a Greco (power) game to folkstyle.  I have watched all his matches since the US trials, including Worlds, except for the matches last weekend (honey do list).

I would love to see more variety to his leg attacks.  When he has the leg attacks I see him being dominant and I know this will come.  I have faith.

Also, only Braxton and the coaches know how 197 affects him.  He looked tired against NC. Can't wait to watch him the rest of the season.

+1!