Recruit time

Started by bigoil, October 13, 2021, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kabrvi

#2 P4P  SR    Jesse Mendez   Crown Point   IN   138

This kid is from Indiana and is the #2 P4P kid in the country.  It is not my intent to say he is coming to WI.  I am just wondering where this kid is going to wrestle.

rjchev141

Jesse Mendez School List - Arizona State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Princeton, Purdue (per Flo)

Is anyone aware of top prospects that have Wisconsin on their list?  The last two I knew of were Rocco Welch and James Rowley.  Also, is anyone aware of recruits/transfers taking visits in Madison lately?

wrastle63

Quote from: kabrvi on October 29, 2021, 07:32:33 AM
#2 P4P  SR    Jesse Mendez   Crown Point   IN   138

This kid is from Indiana and is the #2 P4P kid in the country.  It is not my intent to say he is coming to WI.  I am just wondering where this kid is going to wrestle.
Indiana has offered him $80,000 for an NLI deal to sign there. Confirmed by Willie.

mkm13

To clarify, who offered the 80k? 

I am curious what exactly is allowed now and what is not.

For example, can donations to the WRTC go to specific college athletes? or what makes it legal vs not?

wrastle63

Quote from: mkm13 on October 29, 2021, 09:08:30 AM
To clarify, who offered the 80k? 

I am curious what exactly is allowed now and what is not.

For example, can donations to the WRTC go to specific college athletes? or what makes it legal vs not?
Willie said it was being talked about all over at Super 32 and was confirmed.

mkm13

I am not saying he wasn't offered 80K, just trying to understand who.  Based on your response, the University of Indiana offered 80K. That seems surprising to me.

If that is happening in wrestling, I can't imagine what is happening in basketball and football.  Just doesn't seem to make sense the university can do that.  I would have expected businesses, etc could be doing NLI deals, not the actual school itself.

wrastle63

Quote from: mkm13 on October 29, 2021, 10:01:20 AM
I am not saying he wasn't offered 80K, just trying to understand who.  Based on your response, the University of Indiana offered 80K. That seems surprising to me.

If that is happening in wrestling, I can't imagine what is happening in basketball and football.  Just doesn't seem to make sense the university can do that.  I would have expected businesses, etc could be doing NLI deals, not the actual school itself.
Yes, but it was in relationship to committing to Indiana I guess.

Greyson Clark to Wisconsin!!! Clark and Bobzien create a nice group of light weights to follow Burwick, Barnett, and Zargo.

Harris

I've got a good feeling about Greyson and his future success at Wisconsin.  I love his wrestling style and work ethic.  He is going to fit right in with the current group of guys.  Great get for the team.  Super exciting. 

BuckyMatt

The AWA pipeline to Badger Wrestling is strong!!

wrastle63

Currently have #17 Rowley and #40 Bobzien in the class of 2022. Clark is #64 in the class of 2023.

mkm13

good to see Clark commit!  I will be curious to see how Bobzien, who has had more greco success at this point, will transition to college folkstyle wrestling.

Harris

Quote from: mkm13 on October 29, 2021, 10:40:02 AM
good to see Clark commit!  I will be curious to see how Bobzien, who has had more greco success at this point, will transition to college folkstyle wrestling.

I think once Gross gets his hands on Bobzien it will be a deadly combination of Greco on the feet and phenomenal mat wrestling and scrambling.  I really like Seth's ability to get his light weights wrestling on the mat and we have only seen what he can do for a few years.  Give a guy 4 or 5 years in the room with him and we will start seeing some really tough wrestlers at the lighter weights.  Couple that with Reader and Newt Smerchek working with the big guys and we got great upside.  Loving this team.

bigoil

I think Clark is going to be great. I was really impressed with his riding at S32. If he was on a college mat I feel he would have had some turns and less stop/start, guy escaped with :30 left but had quite a few restarts. On a bigger mat, Greyson rides him out and coupled with Gross/Bono on scrambling and turns, a lot of upside.

bigoil

Who's next? It's a great day to be a Badger!!

Harris

Coach Reader looking for future Badgers in Nebraska today!  Kael Lauridsen (#9 120) and Joel Adams (#2 138) visited the Badgers during the Buffalo dual I think.  ;D

https://twitter.com/Jon_Reader/status/1481219318000066561?s=20

Bo Basset asked Reader on twitter when he is coming to Pennsylvania!  Reader coached him at the Cadet Worlds this past summer. 

Good things are happening in Madison.