Recruit time

Started by bigoil, October 13, 2021, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

I hope they are recruiting 220 lb. Sophomore State Champ and Fargo Champ Koy Hopke from Amery.  I know he wrestles for Pinnacle in Minnesota but this young man is the real deal.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Harris on October 19, 2021, 01:14:38 PM
I hope they are recruiting 220 lb. Sophomore State Champ and Fargo Champ Koy Hopke from Amery.  I know he wrestles for Pinnacle in Minnesota but this young man is the real deal.

Koy Hopke would be a great get for sure. Seems like a young man with lots of upside.

As far as Empey and Copass.

Empey does not have a lot of national results because he was a 3 sport kid and I do not think he wrestled much in the offseason. Great athlete (1st team all state football and competed on Stoughton 800 meter relay team which seems a bit unusual for someone that big). Clearly a bright kid and/or a hard worker. 4.0 student intending to major in Civil Engineering.

In regard to Copass, I was certainly excited to have someone ranked that highly coming to wrestle for the Badgers. However I did watch quite a few of his matches and I did wonder how well he would translate to Big Ten wrestling. He is a really big guy who wrestles more of that old school heavy on the head, lots of pressure style but does not have a tremendous amount of offense. He did not move particularly well on his feet or on the mat from what I saw. The top end of Hwt wrestling is really dominated now with great athleticism. Gwiz, Snyder, Gable, Paris, Kerkvliet, Cassar etc... not to mention the last 2 Badgers Hwt AA's Trent and Connor have been very good athletes who move very well.

wrastle63

Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 19, 2021, 01:45:49 PM
Quote from: Harris on October 19, 2021, 01:14:38 PM

Koy Hopke would be a great get for sure. Seems like a young man with lots of upside.

As far as Empey and Copass.

Empey does not have a lot of national results because he was a 3 sport kid and I do not think he wrestled much in the offseason. Great athlete (1st team all state football and competed on Stoughton 800 meter relay team which seems a bit unusual for someone that big). Clearly a bright kid and/or a hard worker. 4.0 student intending to major in Civil Engineering.

In regard to Copass, I was certainly excited to have someone ranked that highly coming to wrestle for the Badgers. However I did watch quite a few of his matches and I did wonder how well he would translate to Big Ten wrestling. He is a really big guy who wrestles more of that old school heavy on the head, lots of pressure style but does not have a tremendous about of offense. He did not move particularly well on his feet or on the mat from what I saw. The top end of Hwt wrestling is really dominated now with great athleticism. Gwiz, Snyder, Gable, Paris, Kerkvliet, Cassar etc... not to mention the last 2 Badgers Hwt AA's Trent and Connor have been very good athletes who move very well.
Agreed with this! Also Pete Christensen could be a big factor at HWT. He has a redshirt which I am assuming he will use this season, which means he will have 2 more seasons after this season because of the free year. So we could have Hillger for 2 and then Christensen for 2 obviously projecting a ways out. Amos could possibly move up or get a new recruit, etc.

mkm13

Super 32 is coming up soon.  Bobzien is the 2 seed at 132.  Greyson Clark is the 7 seed at 132.  There is a good chance these 2 run into each other at the quarterfinals.  Will be curious how that goes.  Would be nice to get both.

vsmf2010

Quote from: mkm13 on October 21, 2021, 01:22:16 PM
Super 32 is coming up soon.  Bobzien is the 2 seed at 132.  Greyson Clark is the 7 seed at 132.  There is a good chance these 2 run into each other at the quarterfinals.  Will be curious how that goes.  Would be nice to get both.

+1

Rat

Are the brackets out for Super 32? I checked the website and I could not find them yet.

bigoil

Quote from: Rat on October 22, 2021, 03:23:39 PM
Are the brackets out for Super 32? I checked the website and I could not find them yet.
Willie has seeds on Rokfin but don't believe I have seen brackets yet.

mkm13

Bobzien has not lost yet, but a lot of close matches.  Clark jist lost to someone from Minnesota, so they wont meet in the quarters.

mkm13

Bobzien just lost to Mac Church, a top 50 nationally ranked recruit.

Clark hung on to win against Frost from Iowa. 

mkm13

Bobzien lost again. For whatever reason, had a tough time scoring much this weekend. Even his wins were very close.  I know this is a very tough tournament, but still less than you would expect from a higher ranked recruit.

Clark won again, so he is still going.

Harris

You have to be impressed when guys like Clark fight their way through the backside of the bracket.  It shows how determined, tough, and gritty they are.  Bobzien is a Greco guy so maybe his leg attacks need some work.  I wasn't able to watch his matches and am just speculating.  It's fun to follow some high school wrestling during football season.

mkm13

Clark lost, so now wrestling for 7th.

vsmf2010

It appears the Badgers may be recruiting Joel Adams (HS Junior) out of NE. Coach Bono and coach Reader like his tweet after Super 32. Adams lost in the super 32 finals 5-4 and is a 2 time Fargo Champ.

bigoil

I was very impressed with Clark top game, often a missed talent with HS kids that dominate.

mkm13

Bono with another its a great day to be a badger tweet.

Reader responded with HUGE, so likely either a HWT, or highly ranked.

Willie also tweeted Greyson Clark will commit in the next day or so...