Senior World Team Trials

Started by Harris, September 08, 2021, 07:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

TomM

Kollin Moore appeared to possibly injure collarbone/shoulder and still defeated Nate Jackson.
Wonder if he's injured in some way.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

factfinder

Quote from: Harris on September 08, 2021, 08:39:41 PM
The pre-seeds are out and my favorite weight class is 61KG where we could potentially see some fun matchups with Seth Gross and former Badger Tyler Graff. 

In the round of 16 Gross could face #12 seed Ethan Lizak from Minnesota.  Lizak was a 3X All-American at Minnesota finishing 2nd at 125 in 2017.  Gross finished 2nd at 133 in 2017 and 1st in 2018.  I am excited to see Gross at 61 KG (134.2 LB) which is closer to his more natural weight than when he wrestled 57KG at the Olympic Trials.

After Gross beats Lizak, he will potentially wrestle #4 Daton Fix from Oklahoma State.  Daton is a 2X All-American finishing 2nd at 133 in 2019 and 2021.  I think Gross is a bad matchup for Fix because of his unique style of attack and counter attack offense along with his ability to scramble from all positions.  I think this will be a tight match that will come down to a few mad flurries of action with Gross getting his hand raised.  I can't wait for this matchup and I hope it happens.

In the semi finals, Gross would then find himself potentially facing #1 seed Tyler Graff who we all remember wrestling for the Badgers from 2010-2014.  Graff was a 4X All-American for Wisconsin finishing 2nd in 2014 in one of the most agonizing tiebreaker losses to Tony Ramos of Iowa.  That match still bugs me just thinking about it.  Graff earned the #1 seed at the world trials because he was the 2019 USA World Team Member at 61KG.  He was also the 2017 Pan Am Champion.  Graff has not wrestled much since the 2019 World Championships so we don't know what we are going to get when he takes the mat.  If we get the 2019 Tyler Graff it is going to be a battle.  Graff is tough in freestyle because he is a takedown machine and the matchup with Gross could be epic for Badger fans because Gross is such a good counter wrestler.  For those of you who were around in 2014 you may remember that Tyler Graff stayed when other wrestlers left.  For that reason, he will always hold a special place in Wisconsin wrestling fans hearts so I will be happy regardless of who wins this match. 

The winner of that match will potentially face #2 Joe Colon or #3 Nick Suriano.  If you haven't seen it, Flo has put out a free 15 minute documentary on YouTube of Suriano and they are pushing him pretty hard in their FRL podcast as someone who will win this bracket.  I admit he looked good in the video but I am rooting for Gross or Graff to win 61KG.  This weight class is stacked and whoever comes out on top will have earned it the hard way.

61 kg
1. Tyler Graff (NJRTC/Titan Mercury WC)
2. Joe Colon (Cyclone RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
3. Nick Suriano (Sunkist Kids)
4. Daton Fix (Cowboy RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
5. Seth Gross (Wisconsin RTC/Sunkist Kids)
6. Nathan Tomasello (Oklahoma RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
7. Nahshon Garrett (SERTC/Titan Mercury WC)
8. Shelton Mack (NYCRTC/Titan Mercury WC)
9. Josh Kramer (Sunkist Kids)
10. Zane Richards (Illinois RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
11. Daniel DeShazer (Gopher WC RTC)
12. Ethan Lizak (Pennsylvania RTC/New York AC)

Crazy to think a HS kid/incoming Freshman Carter Young takes 3rd in this bracket. He and Jessy Mendez are going to dominate these light weights!

Harris

Kylie Welker with the big win over Kennedy Blades in their first match.

Harris

Quote from: factfinder on September 12, 2021, 02:20:34 PM
Quote from: Harris on September 08, 2021, 08:39:41 PM
The pre-seeds are out and my favorite weight class is 61KG where we could potentially see some fun matchups with Seth Gross and former Badger Tyler Graff. 

In the round of 16 Gross could face #12 seed Ethan Lizak from Minnesota.  Lizak was a 3X All-American at Minnesota finishing 2nd at 125 in 2017.  Gross finished 2nd at 133 in 2017 and 1st in 2018.  I am excited to see Gross at 61 KG (134.2 LB) which is closer to his more natural weight than when he wrestled 57KG at the Olympic Trials.

After Gross beats Lizak, he will potentially wrestle #4 Daton Fix from Oklahoma State.  Daton is a 2X All-American finishing 2nd at 133 in 2019 and 2021.  I think Gross is a bad matchup for Fix because of his unique style of attack and counter attack offense along with his ability to scramble from all positions.  I think this will be a tight match that will come down to a few mad flurries of action with Gross getting his hand raised.  I can't wait for this matchup and I hope it happens.

In the semi finals, Gross would then find himself potentially facing #1 seed Tyler Graff who we all remember wrestling for the Badgers from 2010-2014.  Graff was a 4X All-American for Wisconsin finishing 2nd in 2014 in one of the most agonizing tiebreaker losses to Tony Ramos of Iowa.  That match still bugs me just thinking about it.  Graff earned the #1 seed at the world trials because he was the 2019 USA World Team Member at 61KG.  He was also the 2017 Pan Am Champion.  Graff has not wrestled much since the 2019 World Championships so we don't know what we are going to get when he takes the mat.  If we get the 2019 Tyler Graff it is going to be a battle.  Graff is tough in freestyle because he is a takedown machine and the matchup with Gross could be epic for Badger fans because Gross is such a good counter wrestler.  For those of you who were around in 2014 you may remember that Tyler Graff stayed when other wrestlers left.  For that reason, he will always hold a special place in Wisconsin wrestling fans hearts so I will be happy regardless of who wins this match. 

The winner of that match will potentially face #2 Joe Colon or #3 Nick Suriano.  If you haven't seen it, Flo has put out a free 15 minute documentary on YouTube of Suriano and they are pushing him pretty hard in their FRL podcast as someone who will win this bracket.  I admit he looked good in the video but I am rooting for Gross or Graff to win 61KG.  This weight class is stacked and whoever comes out on top will have earned it the hard way.

61 kg
1. Tyler Graff (NJRTC/Titan Mercury WC)
2. Joe Colon (Cyclone RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
3. Nick Suriano (Sunkist Kids)
4. Daton Fix (Cowboy RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
5. Seth Gross (Wisconsin RTC/Sunkist Kids)
6. Nathan Tomasello (Oklahoma RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
7. Nahshon Garrett (SERTC/Titan Mercury WC)
8. Shelton Mack (NYCRTC/Titan Mercury WC)
9. Josh Kramer (Sunkist Kids)
10. Zane Richards (Illinois RTC/Titan Mercury WC)
11. Daniel DeShazer (Gopher WC RTC)
12. Ethan Lizak (Pennsylvania RTC/New York AC)

Crazy to think a HS kid/incoming Freshman Carter Young takes 3rd in this bracket. He and Jessy Mendez are going to dominate these light weights!

Agree

Harris

Ronna Heaton 2nd
Seth Gross 4th
Michaela Beck 4th

Kylie Welker 1st - Senior World Team Member at 72KG while still in high school.  Awesome job Kylie!

Jesse Thielke 4th
Benjamin Peak 2nd
Brady Koontz 2nd
Dylan Koontz 4th
Fritz Schierl 2nd
Ben Provisor 1st - Not bad for a 31 year old 2x olympian, world team member, and college freshman. 

Ghetto

Kylie Welker! Kennedy Blades is a phenom. Awesome job.

Really happy to see Jesse Thielke back in the fold. Glad he was able to compete again.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imwi

Quote from: Ghetto on September 13, 2021, 12:49:40 PM

Really happy to see Jesse Thielke back in the fold. Glad he was able to compete again.

Was I the only person that didn't know Thielke had enlisted in the Army?

Ghetto

Quote from: imwi on September 13, 2021, 10:09:24 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on September 13, 2021, 12:49:40 PM

Was I the only person that didn't know Thielke had enlisted in the Army?

I also did not know this.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove